Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

Registered
Bridgestone S21 unbelievable grip, great wear, knee dragging confidence and so far 1000 miles and they still look new. I can't believe how far I can lean and it feels like I can go further. I will probably need a new set of knee sliders before I need tires. 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
So.. i guess it comes down to S21 , Rosso 3 , and Q3?
all about same price point..

which one is the best?

Registered
I don't get it, some of you are posting some weird tire pressures - not in the manual nor on Pirelli's site there's a mention of inflating the front more than the rear, it's the opposite actually...
This is regarding the official cold tire pressures that some of you are mentioning, now, depending on the use and whether you inflate them cold or hot YMMV.

Got a question : for my S model, and regarding the Diablo rosso 2's, the suggested pressure as per manual is 2.3 bar/33 PSI Front, 2.5 bar/36 PSI rear, thing is, on the Pirelli site, it's 2.5 bar/36 PSI Front and 2.8 bar/40 PSI rear - these pressures are also mentioned in the manual but for 2up riding, now, which ones shall i choose ? The Ducati or the Pirelli ones ?

Went 2up riding a week ago (with the suggested pressure mentioned in the manual for 2up) and after i rode the bike solo tires felt like balloons a.k.a over-inflated.

So, which is it boys ?

Registered
I don't get it, some of you are posting some weird tire pressures - not in the manual nor on Pirelli's site there's a mention of inflating the front more than the rear, it's the opposite actually...
This is regarding the official cold tire pressures that some of you are mentioning, now, depending on the use and whether you inflate them cold or hot YMMV.

Got a question : for my S model, and regarding the Diablo rosso 2's, the suggested pressure as per manual is 2.3 bar/33 PSI Front, 2.5 bar/36 PSI rear, thing is, on the Pirelli site, it's 2.5 bar/36 PSI Front and 2.8 bar/40 PSI rear - these pressures are also mentioned in the manual but for 2up riding, now, which ones shall i choose ? The Ducati or the Pirelli ones ?

Went 2up riding a week ago (with the suggested pressure mentioned in the manual for 2up) and after i rode the bike solo tires felt like balloons a.k.a over-inflated.

So, which is it boys ?
Yes!:devil

I use the Ducati spec for single rider. My back tire did not look even slightly worn when I had to replace it at 6000 km due to a puncture. Front DRII is still on the bike and still looks mint as well. Of course, I do avoid those turn-ey thing-eys and just go straight...:wink

Registered
Tire pressures, don't get it?
I run F33 and R30 because of the rough mountain roads. My weight is 155 lbs and single rider always. Weight makes a difference. These pressures gave me a good compromise between mileage and handling. I used to run F30 and R27 on my 1198 Corse which handled great but a little less mileage and now the roads are a little rougher. Fronts carry more load especially under braking and need higher pressure. Lower pressure = greater heat, less mileage, better grip. Higher pressure = lower heat, greater mileage, less grip. These are generalities not to be carried to the extreme. However as an example a nascar will run anywhere from 12 to 55 lbs depending on temperature, speed, tire life, track abrasion, spring rate, and stagger. Watching Josh Hayes superbike in slow motion you could see he was running a pretty low rear pressure. You don't have to be afraid to experiment with pressures moderately.

Registered
@Rosso Classico
This is a copy and paste from the M1200R's manual with OEM Supercorsa's. Note the "Important" in Bold

Tires
Front tire pressure:
2.3 bar (33 PSI) (rider only) - 2.3 bar (33 PSI) (rider and passenger).
Rear tire pressure:
2.1 bar (30 PSI) (rider only) - 2.5 bar (36 PSI) (rider and passenger).
Because tire pressure is affected by temperature and altitude variations, you are advised to check and adjust it whenever you are riding in areas where ample variations in temperature or altitude occur.

Important

Check and set tire pressure when tires are cold.
When traveling very bumpy roads, increase tire pressure by 0.2梅0.3 bar (2.9梅4.35 PSI) to preserve the roundness of the front rim.

PS. I also checked the owner's manual for the new 2017 Monster "S" which uses Rosso III and the tire pressures suggested are the same as the 1200R with Supercorsa's as posted above.

Registered
@Rosso Classico

When traveling very bumpy roads, increase tire pressure by 0.2梅0.3 bar (2.9梅4.35 PSI) to preserve the roundness of the front rim.

IMHO, that's lawyer speak but YMMV etc.

I ran around 33F/33-36R in the Angel GTs. Seemed fine. Even tried 40R for a bit because I'm a fat arse. Didn't seem to make a difference.

Registered
I totally agree with your first part but don't ride in the wet. However, I'm concerned about cold whether riding this fall. I received the M1200R in October and rode it to December 4th. The Ice light was on. I didn鈥檛 push the tires however as I was very concerned about grip or lack thereof.

How do you like the Rosso III vs the SC's ?.
Sorry for the late reply.
I really prefer the Rosso III's over the SC's!
Had the bike out in the Dolomites (Italy) in May.
We had severe wheather variations between warm, sunny at about 30 degrees C and heavy rain, hail and even some wet snow at 3 degrees C.
Tyres were doing great at any condition!
For track use I would still prefer the SC, but with 6000+ miles per year my choice is the Rosso III!

Registered

So, which is it boys ?
Tire pressure settings are personal. There is no one size fits all. I play around with my pressures all the time trying to find the perfect setting.

Registered
Sorry for the late reply.
I really prefer the Rosso III's over the SC's!
Had the bike out in the Dolomites (Italy) in May.
We had severe wheather variations between warm, sunny at about 30 degrees C and heavy rain, hail and even some wet snow at 3 degrees C.
Tyres were doing great at any condition!
For track use I would still prefer the SC, but with 6000+ miles per year my choice is the Rosso III!

Thanks for that. One more thing: Like all bikes, the rear is wearing much faster than the front.
Did you change just the rear to Rosso3 while leaving the OEM SC in front or did you change both rear and front at the same time?

Registered
On previous bikes I usually changed 2 rear tyres over 1 front tyre.
On the M1200 I changed both tyres at the same time because the front was almost as far gone as the rear.
On the R I actually changed both tyres because the front was at it's end before the rear... (just a little tho...)

Registered
That's exactly it. Two for one was the norm although on the Panigale I replaced both OEM Rosso Corsa's for SC's.
Based on your experience, looks like I'll be replacing both OEM SC's with Rosso 3's on the Monster.

Registered
I like the Michelin Pilot Power 3. The triangular profile aids turn quickness for a relatively long wheelbase motorcycle. With relatively sane public road speeds, have been getting 4K plus out of the rears and 5K plus from the fronts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Just burned through my second set of tires, Rosso III on my 1200R.
Only got 2200 miles out of my rosso III's. I thought they would last longer than the SC's

anyone getting similar miles out of Rosso III's?

Registered
Just burned through my second set of tires, Rosso III on my 1200R.
Only got 2200 miles out of my rosso III's. I thought they would last longer than the SC's

anyone getting similar miles out of Rosso III's?
That's depressing as I was hoping for more mileage out of the Rosso III just installed last summer.
The Monster just made a meal out the rear OEM Diablo SC.

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
@DarR: I know! at this rate my bike will chew through at least 3 sets of tires a year.
anything with decent grip won't last more than 2K miles I think. I don't track or commute, only canyon carving..

anyone try the new Corsa 2's?

Registered
I got my R at the end of last season so I haven鈥檛 put much time on it yet. I鈥檓 planning on taking mine to the track at least a few times but now I鈥檓 concerned about dropping a lot of $ on tires all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
yeah. the R will definitely chew through tires fast.. depending on how you ride.
i guess hwy and commuting will get u a lot more miles from the tires..
but if you are on the throttle and brakes all the time.. tires will average around 2k miles..

21 - 40 of 61 Posts