Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I had really good results with the rapidbike initially however same as the demo monster I rode my bike would occasionally turn off when clutch was pulled in and coming to a stop. It also happened to me once when I pulled in the clutch coming to a slow turn, luckily I was able to restart the bike prior to the exit.

I attributed it fuel starvation and when I tuned the rapidbike below 2.5k rpm by adding more fuel there it fixed he problem but my ECU would then throw engine codes.

I sold the rapidbike bike and sent my ECU to rexxer to flash. I had them also remove flapper and O2 sensors (even though I already had one disabled w ducati.ee and other moduled with rapidbike prior)

I will report I rode this whole last season with the rexxee flash. My bike runs super smooth in low Rpms (prob smoothest Ducati of the 5 I've owned), the turn off issue is gone, the occasional popping on my termis is also gone. It worked out really well for me.

2014 1200s
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I spoke to rexer about flashing my ECU of my stock 2014 1200 this is the response I got:
Yes no issue to flash to S settings however in addition to this the open loop and exhaust servo can be deactivated as well as the torque limiters in the first 3 gears. This will make a huge difference in performance. Termi upmap keeps the bike in closed loop and servo active and is over rich past 40% throttle. I'd pick another exhaust and stick with the ecu mapping for said pipe. If you are on the fence about an exhaust just do the mapping as it wakes the bike up a ton with greater drivability.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I bought my rapidbike a month ago and waiting for my exhaust to get here before I install...kinda scaring me bruh lol I don't want issues dang it lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a quick update; per BrenTuning's recommendation my bike is in the shop checking what the issue may be/see if there's an error that Ducati can clear/reset and have the ECU run properly. My ECU had a version of software BrenTuning hadn't seen before; I definitely hope there's just a simple error that needs to be cleared.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I spoke to rexer about flashing my ECU of my stock 2014 1200 this is the response I got:
Yes no issue to flash to S settings however in addition to this the open loop and exhaust servo can be deactivated as well as the torque limiters in the first 3 gears.
Can you please explain this last statement? : as well as the torque limiters in the first 3 gears
This is new to me and very interesting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
An update on my flash issue: Ducati is replacing the bricked ECU under factory warranty. I'll definitely be ordering some accessories from the dealer in recompense. I'm working with my point of contact at BrenTuning to see what my options are/will be. If I can get my cash back, I think I'll try Dave, the Rexxer guru in VA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone had a good experience using a handheld tuner, such as a BrenTuner or RexXer EVO? To me it seems like paying a few hundred more to have the capability to infinitely tune your bike as new maps come available would be ideal. And if I understand correctly the handheld devices allow you to reset the maintenance light after oil changes, etc.

Thoughts or reviews?

Ben

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Has anyone had a good experience using a handheld tuner, such as a BrenTuner or RexXer EVO? To me it seems like paying a few hundred more to have the capability to infinitely tune your bike as new maps come available would be ideal. And if I understand correctly the handheld devices allow you to reset the maintenance light after oil changes, etc.

Thoughts or reviews?

Ben
The Rexxer EVO does not work with the M1200 yet. A Rexxer ECU Flash is $400 and must be sent in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you were to purchase factory optional aftermarket exhausts from Ducati as in Termignoni and are listed for that model then usually they come with a plug in ECU to re map the fuelling to suit.

If on the other hand you fit a non standard exhaust and this applies to all makes its best to get the fuelling re mapped, this will involve fitting a power commander or the like and getting it Dyno tuned.

Its going to get harder and more expensive to do this sort of thing as new bike fitted with anti anti slide and so forth all have control of the fuel map as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
How about the BrenTuning Tuner for 2012+ Ducati Monster 1200 (not sure if works with the "R" but doesn't say either way)?

https://brentuningmoto.com/product/2012-ducati-1200-monster-tuning-handheld-tuner/

Thoughts? or Reviews?

Thanks, Ben
Guys, I did email BrenTuning and they said that the handheld works with the "R", but after I purchased it they asked me to send in pictures, etc. Then BrenTuning wrote me back to say "Looks like this is a continental ECU not the melco which I cannot do with the handheld". :crying So I am back at zero.

My issue with adding the SC Project exhaust is that I smell like burnt exhaust fumes at work (~35 mile ride). I do like the look and the sound from the pipe, but I am going to put the factory pipe back on until I can find a solution to remedy the smell. I work in a professional environment where the coolness of smelling like the backside of a dumptruck is not optimal. I was hoping that the "tune" would correct the fuel ratio to resolve the smell. Am I the only one? What are the options now? It seems Rexxer is leading, but you have to send in the ECU to have them crack it open...or maybe the RapidBike Evo autotune?

Ben

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
My issue with adding the SC Project exhaust is that I smell like burnt exhaust fumes at work (~35 mile ride). I do like the look and the sound from the pipe, but I am going to put the factory pipe back on until I can find a solution to remedy the smell. I work in a professional environment where the coolness of smelling like the backside of a dumptruck is not optimal. I was hoping that the "tune" would correct the fuel ratio to resolve the smell. Am I the only one?
I'm running with an SC-Project and an un-modified ECU with no such smell that may be considered much different than completely stock. I think your ECU tune is the primary suspect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm running with an SC-Project and an un-modified ECU with no such smell that may be considered much different than completely stock. I think your ECU tune is the primary suspect.

I am also running the un-modified ECU, so the tune should be the same. I'm surprised that your bike is not noticeably more fumey/smelly. I guess I'll mention it to my dealer/mechanic to see what their thoughts are.

DarR, I thought that you were going to get the Rexxer tune? Did you change your mind?

Ben

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
DarR, I thought that you were going to get the Rexxer tune? Did you change your mind?
Ben
We're still snowed in and I'm still skiing for another two, maybe three weeks. I've contacted Rexxer only just a few days ago. Although It's a pain having to send the ECU to them and also a big leap of faith, I'm going through with the ECU mod shortly when riding weather comes around.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Yes no issue to flash to S settings however in addition to this the open loop and exhaust servo can be deactivated as well as the torque limiters in the first 3 gears. This will make a huge difference in performance. Termi upmap keeps the bike in closed loop and servo active and is over rich past 40% throttle. I'd pick another exhaust and stick with the ecu mapping for said pipe. If you are on the fence about an exhaust just do the mapping as it wakes the bike up a ton with greater drivability.
I'm glad you're back. Have you received an explanation about: "as well as the torque limiters in the first 3 gears"? Was this simply a misunderstanding?
This one bothers me as I would like to know more about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rapid Bike woes

I’ve got a 2017 1200S with an SC Project Carbon Oval. I had a Rapid Bike Evo put on and that’s been a complete cluster. The RB does cause the bike to run better (pulls stronger). However, I’ve been getting a check engine light since the install. Very frustrating and not remedied as of yet. The SC Project exhaust is a home-run, though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just posted in another thread I have sc projects carbon oval and rapid bike with a custom tune. It made 143hp and 83 torque.I have not been able to ride bike yet but tuner said it ran great on dyno. I asked about engine light he said should not be a problem with the new tune. I will post back when weather breaks and. I ride bike.

61 - 80 of 123 Posts