Registered
535 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I saw DarR mention the Booster Plug a couple pages back. I picked up one of these and I'd say the results are mixed.

First off, I should probably say that I have a M1200s with a Akra slipon and no cat. The install was simple and the results were noticed immediately. I went from having a very jerky throttle experience below 3500 RPMs to it smoothing out considerably. While in stop and go traffic in 1st gear, it no longer felt like the engine was chugging and the bike required a lot less feathering of the clutch to keep moving at 1-2 MPH. Engine breaking was also less abrupt and it was easier to get back on the throttle in low speed turns.

About three tanks of gas later, I'd say I've lost about 40% of the smoothness that I'd gained from this mod. Sure, it's possible that I'm either getting use to it or the placebo effect is wearing off, but I truly believe the ECU is trying to balance things out and it has somewhat succeeded. I'm hoping it doesn't tune it out any further.

So, is it worth it? Well, I wanted an option that I could install on my bike and be able to remove on the side of the road if needed (if it broke down and needed to go straight to the dealer for warranty work), which it does. Even after losing some of the smoothness, it's still better than it was without a Booster Plug. $150 better? I guess it depends on what your situation is. I still have four years on my extended warranty and I don't want to risk voiding it with a full re-flash, so it's worth it considering my situation. If I didn't have a warranty left, I wouldn't bother with a Booster Plug and would just save up until I could get a real tune.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Boo! :mad:

Ducati has definitely got sh!t locked down!
They're not making it easy, that's for sure.
What's most disconcerting however is that the liquid cooled Monster's ECU is one of the most difficult to work with among all Ducati bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been keeping in contact with BrenTuning; they sell handheld devices with ECU maps factoring in a huge variety of options. They were testing the new Continental Synerject ECU's a few weeks ago and are close to having good tunes for these Monsters. I'll be stoked to load one on mine. :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I've been keeping in contact with BrenTuning; they sell handheld devices with ECU maps factoring in a huge variety of options. They were testing the new Continental Synerject ECU's a few weeks ago and are close to having good tunes for these Monsters. I'll be stoked to load one on mine. :)
At US$995, their hand-held device is priced more for the pros as that would be out of reach for most end users.
However, it's nice to see others getting into the ECU mapping service. The more the better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, BrenTuning got back to me today. They can flash the Continental Synerject ECU's in-house only at this time; I did not ask the cost as I haven't put the bike away for winter yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wanted to post an update quick; BrenTuning has my ECU and are working on getting it flashed. I spoke with Chris from the shop on the phone; he's done 5-6 of the M1200 ECU's prior to mine and states that, yeah, they're a pain compared to most ECU's and that's why a hand-held hasn't been developed for it. Regardless, I'm having mine flashed with a Remus slip-on and Sprint air filter taken into account. I'll let folks know how it is when the bike's back together/if it hits 70 degrees in the middle of winter, haha. Chris states the low-speed drivability will be improved dramatically, with a power increase of 10-12 horses.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I wanted to post an update quick; BrenTuning has my ECU and are working on getting it flashed. I spoke with Chris from the shop on the phone; he's done 5-6 of the M1200 ECU's prior to mine and states that, yeah, they're a pain compared to most ECU's and that's why a hand-held hasn't been developed for it. Regardless, I'm having mine flashed with a Remus slip-on and Sprint air filter taken into account. I'll let folks know how it is when the bike's back together/if it hits 70 degrees in the middle of winter, haha. Chris states the low-speed drivability will be improved dramatically, with a power increase of 10-12 horses.
...and the cost is?...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
@Teqtonix. @Brianq103 and the gang

As previously mentioned, I have been in contact with David Lillard, President at Rexxer US. and owner of a Ducati dealership.
I must have asked David at least a dozen questions in multiple email correspondence where he answered them all with satisfaction.
If I get a roundtuit, I'll post all the Q&A's here.

However, one of those question related to MWR and Sprint air filters vs the OEM. Here's his reply:
The aftermarket makes more intake noise that's it and also allow more debris. The light oil is needed to assist in holding this material. Stock one has a touch of oil as well and works really best for the motor. The .2-.5hp is not worth a rebuild in the future.

I'm frozen in hell right now but when it gets warmer, I'm sending my ecu to him for a re-flash. The cost is US$400 plus shipping to flash the Monster's ECU.
The flash is very part and preference specific. An application/ form is attached for your perusal.

http://www.rexxer.com/fckimages/Rexxer ECU Form.pdf

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Teqtonix. @Brianq103 and the gang

As previously mentioned, I have been in contact with David Lillard, President at Rexxer US. and owner of a Ducati dealership.
I must have asked David at least a dozen questions in multiple email correspondence where he answered them all with satisfaction.
If I get a roundtuit, I'll post all the Q&A's here.

However, one of those question related to MWR and Sprint air filters vs the OEM. Here's his reply:
The aftermarket makes more intake noise that's it and also allow more debris. The light oil is needed to assist in holding this material. Stock one has a touch of oil as well and works really best for the motor. The .2-.5hp is not worth a rebuild in the future.

I'm frozen in hell right now but when it gets warmer, I'm sending my ecu to him for a re-flash. The cost is US$400 plus shipping to flash the Monster's ECU.
The flash is very part and preference specific. An application/ form is attached for your perusal.

http://www.rexxer.com/fckimages/Rexxer ECU Form.pdf
That's awesome! Did he mention any specific HP/torque gains? Always good to have more options--especially at a cheaper price-point. I'll be honest, I didn't know too much regarding the air filters. I did file a similar document for BrenTuning regarding any changes to the intake/engine/exhaust. I'll have to find a dyno around here when the weather's nice again. Haha, I'd like (and I know this is definitely a dream) to be getting around 150 rwhp. :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
That's awesome! Did he mention any specific HP/torque gains? Always good to have more options--especially at a cheaper price-point. I'll be honest, I didn't know too much regarding the air filters. I did file a similar document for BrenTuning regarding any changes to the intake/engine/exhaust. I'll have to find a dyno around here when the weather's nice again. Haha, I'd like (and I know this is definitely a dream) to be getting around 150 rwhp. :D
HP gains is one question I didn't ask. Notwithstanding, 8~10 HP in the low to mid-section is what I expect from all the charts I've viewed for similar upgrades.
More important, is re-balancing the AFR and getting back the low end torque I feel I lost by installing an after-market exhaust without a re-map. For me, the big gain in flashing is recapturing the lost torque and adding to it. That and immediate throttle response and easier cold starting as a bonus. I'm looking forward to this comes the spring. About the air filter: I'm following David's recommendation and sticking to stock. However, had I chosen to go with an after-market, I would have chosen the Sprint also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well guys, I've got my flashed ECU back and installed. Nothing works; when I turn the bike on, it acts as if the ECU's been removed. Flashing dash, all lights on, flashing fuel gauge, no traction control, my units switched from mpg to kilometers, a real pickle. Not suuuurrreeee what to do, but y'know, it's my fault for flashing it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well guys, I've got my flashed ECU back and installed. Nothing works; when I turn the bike on, it acts as if the ECU's been removed. Flashing dash, all lights on, flashing fuel gauge, no traction control, my units switched from mpg to kilometers, a real pickle. Not suuuurrreeee what to do, but y'know, it's my fault for flashing it.
From What I gather you sent the ecu away to be (open flashed) which is done in house.
Rexxer tune do the same thing for the ecu's they have't cracked yet.
From what I have been told and one big reason I didn't send my ecu to be open flashed is, they have to open the ecu and use a tool to refresh it. Problem is there is a chance the ecu will then have errors or worse become locked meaning it's now useless and is only good for the bin
I pray this isn't what has happened with yours.
I'm hoping soon rexxer crack the ecu so it can be done by the port and not have to be opened.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've sent them an email and left a phone message; working on getting ahold of them and remaining cautiously optimistic. Regarding that particular handheld tuner; I believe it may actually be for the Monster 1100 as the 1200 was not around in 2012. I spoke with someone at BrenTuning to confirm the Continental Synerject ECU for the 2017 MY at least did not have a handheld tuner as the ECU wasn't cracked yet. Watky's information that they had to actually open up the ECU makes me believe something during the flashing process and reassembly of the ECU may not have worked out; like a faulty ground or faulty thermals or something. I'll make sure to update after I pick BrenTuning's brains for a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update guys?

We have 5 Monsters, 4x 1200r and one M1200 with massive flat spots and there seems to be no one able to help with software or systems to tune this?

the R's are 17's.

RR

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had really good results with the rapidbike initially however same as the demo monster I rode my bike would occasionally turn off when clutch was pulled in and coming to a stop. It also happened to me once when I pulled in the clutch coming to a slow turn, luckily I was able to restart the bike prior to the exit.

I attributed it fuel starvation and when I tuned the rapidbike below 2.5k rpm by adding more fuel there it fixed he problem but my ECU would then throw engine codes.

I sold the rapidbike bike and sent my ECU to rexxer to flash. I had them also remove flapper and O2 sensors (even though I already had one disabled w ducati.ee and other moduled with rapidbike prior)

I will report I rode this whole last season with the rexxee flash. My bike runs super smooth in low Rpms (prob smoothest Ducati of the 5 I've owned), the turn off issue is gone, the occasional popping on my termis is also gone. It worked out really well for me.

2014 1200s

41 - 60 of 123 Posts