Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fine folks. I'm trying to swap the stock handlebars on my 1200 to cafe racer style bars. However, it seems the forks are too low to swap to clip on style bars. What other options do I have, short of replacing the forks that are taller?

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
190 Posts
Hello fine folks. I'm trying to swap the stock handlebars on my 1200 to cafe racer style bars. However, it seems the forks are too low to swap to clip on style bars. What other options do I have, short of replacing the forks that are taller?
I've looked into some options for a 796, with the similar thought that the triple-clamp is quite low, so clip-ons under them would be very low.

Two options I have come across:

Of course there are plenty of options other than Woodcraft.
Actually, the stock clip-ons from some bikes might be suitable. I was looking at 50mm clip ons, maybe yours is different, but I found that ones from early some 2000s Kawa ZXR were compatible and also offered a decent rise. One thing to watch out for is the fluid reservoir (brake/clutch) as the stock ones are pretty big and may not fit well on clip-ons.

Another thing to think about is whether the clip-on is split or hinged. Many of them require you to remove the triple-clamp to fit them, which is a bit of a job. Hinged or split ones make life a lot easier if you just want to try it out. For example, the Panigale Clip On Bracket (129.1A 130.1A) is hinged, if you want to stay on brand. Though it won't help you with the height.

Interested to hear how you get on, as this is on my to-do list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've looked into some options for a 796, with the similar thought that the triple-clamp is quite low, so clip-ons under them would be very low.

Actually, the stock clip-ons from some bikes might be suitable. I was looking at 50mm clip ons, maybe yours is different, but I found that ones from early some 2000s Kawa ZXR were compatible and also offered a decent rise. One thing to watch out for is the fluid reservoir (brake/clutch) as the stock ones are pretty big and may not fit well on clip-ons.

Another thing to think about is whether the clip-on is split or hinged. Many of them require you to remove the triple-clamp to fit them, which is a bit of a job. Hinged or split ones make life a lot easier if you just want to try it out. For example, the Panigale Clip On Bracket (129.1A 130.1A) is hinged, if you want to stay on brand. Though it won't help you with the height.

I have the Woodcraft 3 Inch Riser Clip-Ons on my 696 which are pretty good (and more-or-less locally built from where I live). Not as low as I'd like, but real clip-ons would require work to the front end to make them fit with good clearance.
Phil

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
190 Posts
I have the Woodcraft 3 Inch Riser Clip-Ons on my 696 which are pretty good (and more-or-less locally built from where I live). Not as low as I'd like, but real clip-ons would require work to the front end to make them fit with good clearance.
Phil
Thanks for the note iphilrich Woodcraft do make some quality parts.
I'd love to see how they look installed. Any chance you could share a photo at some stage?

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
190 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos, that's very helpful - very much appreciated!

It's something like this that I am looking for and have never seen them in person.
How do you find the angle compared to the traditional flat bars? Do they hit the tank at all on full lock?

BTW - that's a nice workshop setup you have! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi James... the bars fit perfectly, so don't hit the tank, and there's some give slight adjustment possible, but not with the angle or downturn of the bars. I like them. I would prefer clip-ons and more of a lean, but the front end would need adjustment to take a set and they might hit the tank. These bars seemed the best option, and I do like them. I like flat/straight drag bars also, which would also work nicely, and actually give more of a front lean as the rider has to lean forward a little further into the bars.

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
190 Posts
Cool, good info, thanks!
Yeah, I love the look of traditional clip-ons but I am not sure if I'm up for all of the experimenting with fit and having to pull the triple-clamp.
Though i do see that some companies do a "three-piece" that is split so it can be fitted below the triple-clamp without removing it.

I'll see how it goes and post back here if I end up doing something.

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
190 Posts
Looking into some options right now and am considering some woodcraft "straight" adapters that would fit below the triple-clamp.

Specifically these ones: 3 Piece Split Clip-ons (with regular 7/8" bars)

Have any of you guys/gals tried this, is it a bit too low? I see that a lot of folks for the woodcraft/apex version that offers 2 or 3 inch rise?
I know it's a lot of personal preference, but I think this would be approximately a 5 inch drop of the bars for me. Is that too much?

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
190 Posts
In case anyone is interested, I came across this nice little cheat-sheet from Woodcraft, which lists various bike clip-on fitment details. Apart from being useful in choosing the right pair of woodcraft clamps, it gives a good idea of which bikes might make a good donor for your bike.

Clip-on Application Chart

As a little experiment, I have just ordered a pair of OEM Honda CBR1000RR clip-on bars, which should fit.
IMHO the OEM ones are very nice and tidy, just one clean casting with an integrated bar. Less adjustment, for sure, but maybe a cleaner look.
Thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts