Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd give anyone thinking of fitting this a heads up. Just fitted mine and had several issues with it. First, the two pieces don't fit flush at the tail end, ie small gap between pieces. Had to either screw the bolt all the way in to force pieces together or fit a spacer (washer in between to fill the gap), which I did. Second, the bolts provided to secure the two pieces together have threads that are too shallow causing it to destroy the thread of the tail piece. I had to use a bolt of my own which was longer and had deeper threads to solve this problem. Finally, the unit is fitted too tightly when you fit the tail tidy to your bike causing the wires and cables to be pinched. This made it difficult to unlock the seat mechanism. I solved this by fitting spacers (washers) and used longer bolts to allow a bigger gap when fitting the tail tidy back on the bike. Maybe I don't have the skills to complete the job properly but I'm posting this for anyone thinking of or will be installing the R&G unit. I have to say it does look good on the bike!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ended up using some of my own bolts to secure the two pieces together and ended up getting them tight without any gaps. Had the same issue with the R&G unit for my Triumph.
I did manage to mount the piece on the bike without having any cables binding but it took a couple of hours of cursing and monkeying around to get it to work without binding. I also had to adjust the position of the brackets for the exhaust valve servo thingy so it didn't interfere with the arm piece on the lock that the cable attaches too. All in all it was more of a pain than it should have been but mine all worked out fine and I am very pleased with the end result.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like we faced similiar issues. What's up with these aftermarket products? And the instructions are as good as useless.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's usually an adventure - if it don't fit you either mod it or get a bigger hammer. At least this one came with all the pieces, looks great and won't fall apart.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar experience with the Rizoma kit.

Everything went together ok (after I burned the instructions) but the wires wouldn't all fit in the space they gave you. I ended up having to cram everything in and pinch it when I tightened the mounting bolts for the tail kit. I think I'm going to tear it back down this weekend and do a complete custom rewire on the tail.

I don't really think ANY of the aftermarket providers for the 1100 have a real quality product yet, unless you're a professional ducati tech that knows all the ins and outs of working on Ducs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just installed an evotech tailtidy on my M100 and it worked perfectly. I was a tight fit on getting all of the wires and cables to fit, but maybe 10 minutes of fiddling - not too big a deal. Looks super-minimalist, but very pro - I like it.

Unfortunately, I now don't have enough room to stash the resistors for my LED lights. I'm going to have to mount them above the frame under the seat or something.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mr. Freedom - I just tried, but it didn't work out too well.

For one, it's really hard to take pics of this thing. There's not alot that can be seen without resorting to weird angles. It's even harder as the flash lights up my plate really bright, but the black tailpiece barely shows.

I'm going to try again in the sunshine to see if that helps. Maybe this weekend will work.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
At least you got enough parts to install your tail tidy...i got a Comp Werkes one from a vendor that was incomplete since it was taken off a shop bike or was a return. :(

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
The unnamed vendor from SC never fixed their mistake. Competition Werkes came through and is sending me the missing parts. I'll endorse CW any day of the week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts