Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here and new to riding as well.

I read a french Monster 1100 review and they mentioned that while the engine is very powerful, the gearing is so miserably tall that it feels "inflexible" and is really not a lot of fun under 2500rpm.

They mentioned that going up a couple sizes in the rear should fix this up.

Is this just FUD or is there any truth to it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most sports motorcycles will not ride smooth under 2500 rpm, motorcyles have high rev engines unlike cars engines, sports bikes ride best at higher RPMs. For M1100 I personally think 4k-6k RPM range gives best control/power/handling. It is also not good for to ride these engines under low RPMs. There are many threads in this forum where people had engine trouble when they kept on riding at low RPMs for long.

If your bikes is over 1200 miles then try opening the throttle in lower gears, you will love it.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Lots of people on here switch to a 14t sprocket up front which helps with the low speed/low rpm riding. I am currently on a 1100s with the stock gearing and yes, it's grabby and jerky at low speeds, but I've sort of gotten used to it. I'll probably switch out to a 14t at 1st service though.

I did this on my old S2R800 and it made quite a difference with in-town, bumper-to-bumper riding (or should I say, crawling...).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my current sv650 is not so bad at low rpm but chugs around below 2000, when it starts to chug, i usually play with the clutch to get better control.... just a bit of slip can make all the difference.

is this even an option on a dry clutch???

·
Registered
76 Posts
gear down

my current sv650 is not so bad at low rpm but chugs around below 2000, when it starts to chug, i usually play with the clutch to get better control.... just a bit of slip can make all the difference.

is this even an option on a dry clutch???
The suggestion to switch to a 14T sprocket is a good one. Rev's the bike a little higher where the engine smooths out.

You can slip a dry clutch a bit, but it takes a bit more finesse. Dry clutches are by definition grabby so you can administer power on demand at higher rpms.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The 14T is a good addition but basically moves the problem to a different place. Makes it more rideable and I now have a useful 6th gear. However if you are looking to really smooth the bike out a Termi set up with new ECU will do the trick. I know there are also few fuel controllers out there under developement that will address the problem. The stock ECU allows for some better EPA numbers but is not the best for low speed fueling. I think you will find most performance motors are unhappy at the lower RPM's. It is just not their comfort zone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Anyone here tried the 14T front sprocket on an ABS bike? I notice the accessory catalog says it should not be used in that application. Any ill effects?

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the recommendation is:

Termi exhaust and ECU
14t front sprocket or +2 in the rear...

This should make the bike buttery smooth?

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Buttery smooth

That's for English muffins and pancakes, and vanilla frosting. My bike will tolerate crawling at 3,000, and cruising at 4. After that, hang on. High performance has it's rewards and compromises, in that order. I'm not going to change to a smaller sprocket until I hit 65, age-wise.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To each his own. But just to be clear, a 14t front sprocket will trade better acceleration for lower top speed. The bike has 6 gears after all, and the sprockets selected by the manufacturer are there for economy and emissions reasons as much as anything else.

As you say, high performance has its rewards and compromises. If I choose better acceleration (which I use all the time) over a 130-mph top end (that I'll personally never use), am I "old?"

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I just turned 59, months ago, so that makes me young in spirit. I'm waiting for the hourglass to hit me, then I'll laugh at the times of tide, already I'm laughing, with the front wheel off the ground. Pretty silly bikes, these, acceleration is relative, resistance is useless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason I ask is that traffic situations are miserably bad if the motor is chugging around and on the verge of choking out

The sv I play with clutch and throttle to float along at 3000rpm without having to stop all the time.

i don't mind some chugginess honestly but is the bike really that intolerable in that type of situation

·
Registered
117 Posts
What size is the stock front sprocket?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey I'm new here as well just wanted to ask from who are you getting the best deal from for the 14t front sprocket, and does the pitch matter and if so what is it 520 or 525 on the 1100? I searched around to find out about the pitch but couldn't find anything thanks for any help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I put the 14T counter shaft sprocket in my M696 but I also installed a G2 throttle tamer. The G2 has a more progressive profile on the cam so you can modulate the throttle a bit more finely compared to stock.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the 14 tooth on my 696 and it does help a little on the low rpm jerking but not that much. It does robe you out of about 20 mph on the top speed of the bike. I ran my bike up to 132-139 with the 15 tooth and only 105-110 with the 14. The termi's and ecu are good but they also dont just fix the lack of low rpm torque this bike has also. Like the other guy said its not uncommon to have to work the clutch at low speeds. There is a thread here that posts some dyno readouts of a 696 stock / a 696 with temi's+ecu / a 696 with a after market remapping tool. And the tool that remapped the stock Simmons ecu won with a much smoother curve on horse power and torque. But the final result was same in horse power same in torque between the after market and remapped ecu's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I put the 14T counter shaft sprocket in my M696 but I also installed a G2 throttle tamer. The G2 has a more progressive profile on the cam so you can modulate the throttle a bit more finely compared to stock.
I went here http://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/G2-Tamer-Throttle-Tube-for-Ducati-267.html and it says all monsters from 2000-2009. I have a 09 696 is that the same year you have. Also I thought the 1100 had a bigger handle bar than the 696 so how can it fit all monsters in those years?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts