Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue fitting a full termi exhaust (not slip on) on a 2009 Monster 1100S.
Because of the shape and bigger diameter of the pipe (50mm vs 45mm) there is a clearance issue between the rear header elbow and the shock spring (see pictures).

For those who have a full termi exhaust (not slip-on) could you check if there is a dimple in that area?
That's the only way I can think of to make it fit.

I requested the fitting instruction from Termignoni but I doubt I'll get an answer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Doh! That's not good....I have the same system in a box for my '09 1100. I will dry fit it hopefully next week to make sure I need no mods before sending it out for coating. Sucks that yours is already coated, might want to put some sort of masking tape etc. on to protect that. What coating is that? It looks good. I've heard if you have a shock with a integrated reservoir on it there will be issues. If it turns out I have the same issue as you I might try hanging all the tubes loosey goosey without the mounting tabs bolted and give'r a little tweak. Fix those tabs last, they move the easiest. You don't need much there, the shock will move away as it's compressed. Good luck, I'll try to make time to hang mine and report back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right I should have dry fitted before coating. I thought being Termis it would be plug'n play.

The stock header has a dimple on the exact same spot where the spring collides. Not sure if it's from factory or it happened when bottoming out. Can you check if you have that dimple on yours?

The satin black coating was done at a local place in Melbourne (Oz). Inside and out. It was done a few years ago and it starts peeling in the hot spots. However the areas visible when assembled are fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just looked, I can almost get my finger through the gap there on mine and no dimple in the tube. I have the stock Sachs now, collecting all the bits to upgrade suspension now though. Not sure if your red spring is an Au. thing or aftermarket? All the ones I've seen have a yellow spring even the S that has Ohlins. An upgraded spring may be a larger coil diameter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for checking. It's the standard Ohlins shock from the S model. The spring was changed (130Nm --> 115Nm) and powder coated red.

Keep me updated when you install the full system.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doh! That's not good....I have the same system in a box for my '09 1100. I will dry fit it hopefully next week to make sure I need no mods before sending it out for coating. S
Hi Lisa,
Did you get a chance to dry fit the exhaust?

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, however I did look again today while I was finalizing my suspension parts order and.... From the other side I can clearly see my vertical head pipe has the same dimple as yours. That said, mine looks to be further away from the shock than yours and would fit even without the dimple. Like I said, I can nearly fit my pudgy pointer finger in the gap. I will try to take a pic for you. I'll hopefully start working on it later this week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finally got my new suspenders! Not sure how you've managed in the interim but, here's some better pics. The new rear suspender has a reservoir and remote preload adjust and the reservoir hose wants to be where the pipe crosses to the left can. It has the factory Termi slip kit now, soon to be had. I never sent the full kit out for coating but just now decided to put it on the way it came and see what fits. Hoping to get the new pipes on today and I'll take more pics. Now that it's out of the box I see the new head pipe for the vertical jug has no dimple. I'm optimistic though, if it's bent the same as the original at the top and is only 5mm bigger diameter that surface only moves 2.5mm towards the shock and I have about 10mm there.

1600439622384.png 1600439767891.png 1600439833082.png

·
Registered
18 Posts
Something's up with your head pipe if it wont fit, mine does easily. It is important to note your floating flange was dropped on the tube upside down before welding, the hole for the spring should be below the stud and inline with the loop on the tube that the other end of the spring attaches to. I only noticed that looking just now. In the pics I took today you can only see that in the first, I'll take a wider one tomorrow. My floating flange has the spring hole on both ears but, if rotated 180* the hole is still below the stud and lined up with the spring loop on the tube.
1600483926424.jpeg 1600484036632.jpeg 1600484110263.jpeg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Lisa for the update.
My rear shock was leaking less than 10.000kms after being serviced. The shop owner was kind enough to take it back and fix it. I have been waiting to get it back but postal services are horribly slow.

Fitting the rear header with the rear shock off will be straight forward. Then with the shock back on I'll check the clearance.

Well spotted for the floating flange. I disassembled it for the powder coating and put it back the wrong way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
From your close up pictures and other I have seen online, I think I'm missing the shoulders that exit the cylinder. I hope it did not et lost at the powder coater, it's been so long.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just curious how does the full termi compare to just having the slip ons?
assuming both are racing models without cat and db killers

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also have the Full Termi System, also no dimple. But it does have a CAT and DB Killers and with them in is actually ... i dont want to say quiet, but it aint loud either. Its about right for me and the German cops are quite strict these days. In Austria, anything over 95dB is ILLEGAL and they will confiscate your bike for that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just curious how does the full termi compare to just having the slip ons?
assuming both are racing models without cat and db killers
The full system like the carbon slip on are WITHOUT cat. It's "racing use only" and you can see that the muffler is straight through. The dB killer is optional and I like to cut the end of it to get some noise but without making my ears bleed.

I still have not fitted the full system yet but thanks to @Moto Lisa I know what the problem is. The pipe for my rear header has been cut too short. I have to take it to a muffler shop to get it lengthened and then I'll be able to comment on the differences.

Physical measurements:
Stock header: 45mm header - 52mm Collector
Full System: 50mm header - 60mm collector

In theory I would expect slightly less torque at low rpm but better performance at mid and high rpm.

This is confirmed by the tests carried out by ProService (second graph from the bottom):

From a maintenance perspective, the routing makes it easier to remove the belts and do the valve adjustment.
On the other hand, the pipe goes just under the oil drain plug. But you can still remove it without taking the pipe off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I'm currently using just the carbon slip-ons, so it doesn't have the cat in them, and I don't use the DB killer. The rest of the system is stock.
Hence I'm wondering if I would benefit greatly from changing the rest of the system.
Is the Termi system same as stock material? stainless steel?
Oh and I did notice from Chris's photo that there is lesser ground clearance with the termi full system.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Same material. The exhaust manifold is not lighter.
If you haven't already, remove the exhaust valve motor and find a 696 mid-pipe to get rid of the exhaust valve completely.

The full system is expensive and hard to find. If it's performance you are after, you are better getting forged wheels like on Chris' photo. Forged wheels from Hypermotard 1100S or Evo are a straight fit I think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm on the S model, so won't be changing away rims. not unless it's carbon 😓
I've come across mention of removing the exhaust valve motor, but there are differing views out there?
I read that a canceller is needed, and some say it only makes idle sound louder (idle to whatever rpm the valves opens up). What is your experience?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The wheels on the 1100S are the same as on the base model, just different colour. They are cast alloy, not forged so not particularly light. The forged wheels from they hyper 1100S and Evo are an upgrade.

If you remove the exhaust valve motor the ECU will throw an error unless you have it reflashed or a dongle to simulate its presence.
The exhaust valve is only there for noise regulation so without it the bike will be slightly louder at idle. But it's not significant especially as you mentioned earlier you don't use dB killers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts