Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue fitting a full termi exhaust (not slip on) on a 2009 Monster 1100S.
Because of the shape and bigger diameter of the pipe (50mm vs 45mm) there is a clearance issue between the rear header elbow and the shock spring (see pictures).

For those who have a full termi exhaust (not slip-on) could you check if there is a dimple in that area?
That's the only way I can think of to make it fit.

I requested the fitting instruction from Termignoni but I doubt I'll get an answer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Doh! That's not good....I have the same system in a box for my '09 1100. I will dry fit it hopefully next week to make sure I need no mods before sending it out for coating. Sucks that yours is already coated, might want to put some sort of masking tape etc. on to protect that. What coating is that? It looks good. I've heard if you have a shock with a integrated reservoir on it there will be issues. If it turns out I have the same issue as you I might try hanging all the tubes loosey goosey without the mounting tabs bolted and give'r a little tweak. Fix those tabs last, they move the easiest. You don't need much there, the shock will move away as it's compressed. Good luck, I'll try to make time to hang mine and report back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right I should have dry fitted before coating. I thought being Termis it would be plug'n play.

The stock header has a dimple on the exact same spot where the spring collides. Not sure if it's from factory or it happened when bottoming out. Can you check if you have that dimple on yours?

The satin black coating was done at a local place in Melbourne (Oz). Inside and out. It was done a few years ago and it starts peeling in the hot spots. However the areas visible when assembled are fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just looked, I can almost get my finger through the gap there on mine and no dimple in the tube. I have the stock Sachs now, collecting all the bits to upgrade suspension now though. Not sure if your red spring is an Au. thing or aftermarket? All the ones I've seen have a yellow spring even the S that has Ohlins. An upgraded spring may be a larger coil diameter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for checking. It's the standard Ohlins shock from the S model. The spring was changed (130Nm --> 115Nm) and powder coated red.

Keep me updated when you install the full system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts