Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
something that may be of interest,
Have a friend who is a BMW car mechanic, they had an issue with cold starts on some high end systems, namely M3 models. Turned out to be a faulty sensor that 'remembers' last throttle/mixture setting when starting. Usually, last start was when warm. Factory refit was made eventually.

They worked out a temporary fix, that was to clear the memory of sensor.
1. do not touch throttle.
2. cycle key on then off 5 times, allow sweep of gauges etc. each time.
3. Then start with no throttle.

Now I know all systems are different, may not even work on a Ducati, but hey, it's worth a shot after all the attempts made up to now. Bike that starts easily when warm, has to be a mixture issue, needs richer mixture for cold starts, like the old choke system.
EDIT. further discussion with mechanic, was in fact a temp sensor, telling ECU that it was at default temp ie. 70 deg. no fault code as within normal range for warm start.
maybe a similar thing and testing/replacing temp sensor could be something worth looking at.

Worth a try.
Ron.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here we go - ready for it?

Ended up being my starter motor! My old one was pulled off the Duc and disassembled - short version, internals were shot.

I ordered a replacement part from the US as it was 1/3 of the Italian part. Unfortunately, the one I purchased from the states is compatible only with the pre-2011 M1100 (so if you need one @AUS-10, let me know. Unused, and I'd rather sell it to someone in AU than send it back to the states).

So - I bit the bullet and went with the original part from Italy. 3 weeks later, the part was fitted and my baby is back in action.

The guys at SCM Lane Cove were great. It took a while, but most of the delay was waiting on comms from Italy.

I pick the bike up this weekend.

I hope this helps someone out there as it was a royal pain in the a$$ getting here.

·
Registered
352 Posts
scrap the bike, sell me the cams. LoL

·
Registered
582 Posts
What was the result with the new starter? No news is good news :)

A little service/clean of my starter worked well. I also did the lithium battery and cables. The best workaround for me was always priming a couple of secs with the kill switch on.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts