Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure these questions have been asked before, but I couldn't find them.

-What actually tightens/loosens the chain on an 1100?
-Do I need a specific tool to do this?
-Does the suspension need to be loaded i.e. have someone sit on it while this is done?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
you need a accent tool. there inexpensive. around 20 bucks or so. all you need to do is turn the wheel to the tighest point unloaded and set it to the right setting. thats all. then you load the bike down and roll it to make sure nothing scrapes. now you done

·
Registered
102 Posts
Actually, on the 1100 it's fairly easy (and you don't "need" a special tool). Loosen the 2 rear axle pinch nuts (the 2 at the very back of the swingarm). Then, with the weight off of the swingarm, you can take a medium screwdriver and hammer and GENTLY tap the ring behind the sprocket one way or the other. Forward loosens and rearward tightens - just like it would seem. It doesn't take much force at all, and it doesn't take much movement either! Tapping/turning that ring about 1/4" will make a huge difference in chain tension. Don't forget to push the chain down with your finger and release, then measure from the bottom of the swingarm to the center pin of the chain - should be 60mm. And DON'T forget to tighten up those 2 pinch bolts when you're done!

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Do You know the torque values for pinch bolts by chance?
Per ducati m1100 evo service manual torque is 30Nm +/-5%. That works out to 22.12ft-lb or so in a 1-2-1 pattern. (Not trying to be an a$$, just putting it out there for others.)

ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts