Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I had been looking for a Monster forum and luckily I found this place. I have been riding bikes for many years now and have always lusted after the Monster. I've decided that I will definitely be picking one up but cannot decide which one to get. I have narrowed it down to the 1000s, the S4 or the S4r. Most would say to go with the S4r yet I really like the clean look of the air cooled monster therefore I am leaning towards the 1000. My main question is whether or not the 1000 is as powerful as a modern day 600cc. bike. I now ride a Honda F4 and I would like to make that a track bike and use the Monster for the street. I know that the two are totally different bikes but I'm hoping that the 1000 with it's torque is about as quick as the 600cc bikes. You know enough to do some nice wheelies ;D Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Thats what I was thinking exactly. I dont need the power of the 600 on the street and dont even get to use most of it. Thats why I want to make it a track only bike. The numbers for the 1000 I knew and I know that it is a totally different riding experience. I love the look and the sound of the bike and my last two questions are.....how easily does it wheelie(for when the hooligan comes out) and on some of my trips I am on empty roads and like to get up to between 100-120mph for short bursts. Can the 1000 handle that? I know wind is strong at those speeds but I started off riding many years ago on a modified 70's naked bike and I'm used to no wind coverage at 100mph. Most of my trips are no more than 2 hours anyway.

S

·
0 Posts
along those lines, my 900ss/cr handled exactly what you're looking for and that was a '98 without too many mods. i imagine today's 1000 2v lump will be just what you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I ride a 1999 M750 and that can do the quick bursts at 100+ and that has the power to bust wheelies also. I would definitely say the M1000 should satisfy all your hooligan needs, especially if you have the F4i for a track bike. I'd also say go for the M1000 vs the MS4 because the maint. costs should be slightly cheaper for the air cooled engine and the performance is not that far off between the two. Good luck and welcome to the club!

M

·
0 Posts
It can do wheelies with a little effort. It's pretty rough off the bottom in stock form though which makes it tough. I'm ordering a 41T rear sprocket for it - I imagine when that comes I'll have a harder time keeping the front wheel ON the ground .. ;D

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
i went from a F3 to a 900SS and have liked the way it makes power better.
if you're looking to hang with new 600's a 4-valver might be more to your liking (S4, S4r)

i like 2-valvers better myself.

·
Registered
668 Posts
ciao,

first gear no clutch needed for wheelie,
second gear some effort needed,

still I recommend to test ride one, figures give direction, but you have not chosen the path yet.

1000 is a good rig for You to start to make it quicker, eventually, you make it as your track bike,

Skier

R

·
0 Posts
Quick is a funny term. It might be down on power especially compared to the new 600s out there, BUT it's so much easier to use that power. On a tight twisty road you can just pick one gear and then just concentrate being as smooth as possible without all the hassles of shifting up shifting down shifting up shifting down etc etc. So, in those situations it ends up being not only quicker, but more pleasant and easier to ride. The 1000 will certainly cruise at 100 all day long if you so please, my old 900ss certainly could, 80 was its lazy sweet spot.

The S4s are a different beast all together, and a 600cc rider would have to work pretty hard to keep up given equal riders. But as a machine is concerned, the clean lines of the aircooled bikes just cant be beat. And they sound better too. =)

in the end HP means little. my 50hp supermotard could give 150hp bikes a run for their money on the right roads. So dont worry about numbers, get what moves you. =)

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you simply compare power, the Monster doesn't do well against other bikes. But I figure it has more than I would normally need.

As we all know, and I think you know too, what makes the Monster special is something Japanese bike manufacturers can only dream of. It has endured the test of time and I'm pretty sure it will still hold its own 10 years from now.

I vote for the air cooled Monster.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you work on your own bikes get the 1000. 2V Ducs are really wonderful to work on yourself. Soooooo easy. I agree with you that the clean look rules, plus you won't have to worry about the flakey rockers which do not afflict the 2V's. I've ridded F4's and I find the 'nature' of the power on my M900 to be much more thrilling while at the same time less likely to get you into trouble with the law. It is a great streetbike. I would assume the same thing applies to the 1000 SS if you want the full fairing. (although I have not ridden an SS). At around 4K RPM you can almost feel each piston straining against the crank...it's hard to explain, but very addictive.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Oh...1 more BIG advantage of the air cooled Mostro....ZERO engine heat on your body while underway, I've ridden some water cooled bikes and I;ve been pretty apalled buy the blast of heat that hits the rider.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I have an 01 900. It'll wheelie in first or second and goes 125mph (according to speedo). I wasn't sure whether to get an S4 or a 900. In the end, I wanted cheaper maintenance costs (EVERYTHING costs more for S4/SBK models!!) and the cleaner plumbing free look of the air cooled 2v Monster. Go test ride the models though. My buddy just rode the S4R and said he couldn't keep the front wheel down. Even the sales guy asked how many wheelies he did when he returned to the shop!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts