Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is obvious many Ducati owners like to personalize their bikes with mods such as exhausts, tail chops, rear sets, handlebar controls and some electrical such as turn indicators and EFI control units like power commanders. This winter I am planning a number of my own. While non-DP (or DP approved parts such as Termi) pose warranty problems...If warranty is not an issue, has anyone ever experienced refusal of services form a Ducati dealer with moded bikes. On a different forum I read about a dealer (I think in NYC) that refused "heavily-modded" ducs for "liability" reasons. I suppose if one needed to avoid this problem you could just put stock parts back on before a service appointment (such as a valve adjustment), but in some cases that could be a hassle. Any comments/experiences in this regard?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think it depends on the dealership and what the problem is. I believe that they have to show that the modification caused the problem in order for it not to be covered by warranty.

When I bought my bike, I bought an extended warranty. I recently had the low oil pressure light come on my 696. Since I have bought the bike I have done exhaust, oil cooler, two brothers juice box, new rearsets, new headlight, air filter, and several other things. All of these are not DP products. I thought for sure that they would not cover any repairs due to the oil cooler and other items installed.... But when I went to pick up my bike after the repair(oil pressure wire had come loose, no big deal), my charge was $0... Everything was covered by warranty.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it depends on the dealership and what the problem is. I believe that they have to show that the modification caused the problem in order for it not to be covered by warranty.

When I bought my bike, I bought an extended warranty. I recently had the low oil pressure light come on my 696. Since I have bought the bike I have done exhaust, oil cooler, two brothers juice box, new rearsets, new headlight, air filter, and several other things. All of these are not DP products. I thought for sure that they would not cover any repairs due to the oil cooler and other items installed.... But when I went to pick up my bike after the repair(oil pressure wire had come loose, no big deal), my charge was $0... Everything was covered by warranty.
Thanks for your response. Do you live/use a Ducati dealer in the Midwest? If so who? I am planning similar mods but the Wisconsin dealer where I purchased my bike went out of business just months after I bought it. So I am in the market for a good Ducati dealer/technicians in Minnesota, Ill, Ohio, or Michigan (Wisconsin only had the one dealer that closed.) Anybody else have any recommendations?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for your response. Do you live/use a Ducati dealer in the Midwest? If so who? I am planning similar mods but the Wisconsin dealer where I purchased my bike went out of business just months after I bought it. So I am in the market for a good Ducati dealer/technicians in Minnesota, Ill, Ohio, or Michigan (Wisconsin only had the one dealer that closed.) Anybody else have any recommendations?
I use MCC in Villa Park Il. It is about 20 miles due west of Chicago. I have bought many bikes from them. I also buy my accessories through them, as they give nice discounts for valued customers. Service has always been excellent and fast.

I am fortunate that I can walk home from the dealership, but I would go here even if it took 2 hours to get too.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will check them out. Unfortunately I have to travel a lot more than two hours to any Ducati dealer, but its a price I am willing to pay to own one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bike service

Hi, we would not turn down a customer for requesting service on a modified motorcycle. We deal with this quite often, and most bikes have some sort of personalized modification to it. We would have to carefully look at the modification, if there was some sort of warranty claim issue. We work on race bikes ( about as heavily modified as it gets ), custom projects, and mild personalized bikes. With proper communication between the parties involved there should never be a reason to deny service. Thanks, and give us a call if we can help in anyway.

Jeff

P.S. We do have customers from the UP that make the trek to see us every year.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes...I can see why. I visited the Ducati Indianapolis website and am very impressed with their highly skilled staff. I have to travel several hours in any direction to get to a Ducati dealer and am willing to "go the extra mile", especially for a dealer with references like yours and certified Ducati technicians with proven track records. I am also impressed that D.I. takes the time to keep an eye on this forum and respond to the needs of Ducati owners in the Midwest. Never been to Indianapolis but I am sure I would find a way to have some fun there. Do they have beer in Indianapolis?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts