Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is great that Zatoichi931 has offered a Painting Clinic! [thumbsup]

I was asked to start a roll call as to those interested in attending.

There will be two sessions.

Preparation: 12/9/2006
Painting: 12/16/2006

The date for the first session will be:​
Saturday December 9th, 2006

Please reply here if you are interested in attending the clinic. [clap]

For more info visit: http://www.ducati.com/ducatiworld/clubs/eventdetail.jsp?id=15722

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: MOCHA painting session

I will be there!

·
Registered
129 Posts

I'm very interested!!

·
Registered
346 Posts

You're there Bob!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts

Maybe in. I'll see how my jet lag is that day!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

OK, it's this weekend and I'm ready! We've agreed to meet at one location, have breakfast and then head to "The Bat Cave".

The meeting spot is:

OMEGA restaurant right off I88 and Rt 59. Omega is just North of I88 on Rt59 on the West side of the street, left turn into lot or just South of Rt56 (Butterfield Rd.) making a right turn into the lot.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...te+Route+59&city=Naperville&state=IL&zipcode=

Omega Restaurant Warrenville/Naperville
4S040 Route 59 630/836-9999

This is just your classic Greek Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner type of place.

We'll meet at the Diner at 10 AM and take off at 11 AM or whenever we finish breakfast. The goal is to start at the same time so people won't miss anything.

Keep in mind this is the preparation weekend, and the following is paint!

YEEEAHHH!!

Oh, and post what parts you're bringing. It was mentioned that carbon fiber can will be done during the second session and not to bring any plastics.

·
Registered
153 Posts

I've got two carbon fiber cans that can use some refinishing if needed for the demo... [thumbsup]

·
Registered
346 Posts

godofwar said:
I've got two carbon fiber cans that can use some refinishing if needed for the demo... [thumbsup]
My thought on the carbon is bring what you need 'cleared' since we are 'clear coating' anyway. Bring on the first session to see if it is something we can do.

I have a chain guard that needs clear desperately! So I will just rough it up and clear it on paint day. Real simple since it helps to use up the additional clear in the gun.

Bring your sleeves, they should be easy. Or if you are unsure how to dismantle them bring the whole pipes.

As for plastics, I am checking into this. I will post the possibilities.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok, plastic is in too!

Here is a pic of the primer and the good laquer thinner we need. I have a half a quart of the primer so I think I (we) need to get more.

When painting I suggest buying a cheap 5 gallon drum of laquer thinner for cleaning parts and the gun afterwards. This way you don't use the good stuff shown here.

The primer is satin black, high build and flexible for use on plastic. I painted a car with this so steel is good too. Terrace always helps suggest stuff like this since it controls costs (not the highest end stuff but it works!). Painting stuff is always expensive!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I've got scuffed and scraped plastic on my Katoom. What should I bring as far as tools and supplies? I don't know doo-doo from Shine-ola as far as this bodywork stuff is concerned.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bob I will have some stuff so it isn't necessary to go crazy as far as tools. I plan on going to Terrace tomorrow morning for some supplies (additional Primer). We all can go over this Saturday I guess.

If anyone wants to pick up Scotchbrite (all purpose Dark Red-normally I buy a box at Carquest or Terrace) and 400 and 600 grit wedsanding paper (black) that will be helpful. It will be used.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zatoichi931 said:
We all can go over this Saturday I guess.

If anyone wants to pick up Scotchbrite (all purpose Dark Red-normally I buy a box at Carquest or Terrace) and 400 and 600 grit wedsanding paper (black) that will be helpful. It will be used.
I can pick up the sandpaper and scotchbrite. Your call if you want to go to Terrace together. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would like to be there between 8 and 9:00 AM so I can get to work after that. Closer to 8 would be better.

I also need to see if they can cross reference the Ducati PPG paint codes since I need some yellow!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I picked up stuff today. More primer, sandpaper, and extra sanding blocks. I also have a body filler that has better adhesion than most. There is plenty to go around there if needed.

The only bummer is there is no cross reference for PPG Ducati paint codes to Dupont leaving me to find a PPG source. I may have one close to where I live. This only applies to people wanting to repair stock colored parts. I am just not used to PPG stuff...oh well.

See you all tomorrow. Dress to possibly make a mess or bring a change of clothes, maybe a crappy sweatshirt or something.

If anyone wants to pick up latex gloves they are also helpful!

·
Registered
346 Posts
More updates...

The PPG paint codes from Ducati are EURO only so it doesn't normally cross reference here in the States.

I have a generous person on another forum who will scan all the Duc codes crossovers so we can indeed have our paint!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We had the most educational session on bodywork today and I left an accomplished man! Thanks Mike for the expertise and for holding part one of the workshop! Can't wait until next weekend! Oh, and big up to the riders who came out to support the club. We're proving to be a role model for other local clubs![clap]

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Sorry I missed out... schedules al messed up. Just woke up again. :(

1 - 20 of 72 Posts