Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
You need to use the 15w-50. Anything else is rated Energy Conserving II and has friction modifiers that, more often than not, cause problems.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The 20W50 is not energy conserving. 8)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
The 20W50 is not energy conserving. 8)
that is what my mech put in my bike. Manley Cycle is pretty reputable, and I dont think that they would do their customers wrong. Not trying to say you are wrong Scott, maybe there are advantages to the different weights. Also I went to the local Duc dealer for some oil and that is what they said I should be running. Maybe it has something to do with altitude and temperature? I dont know. Just pulling ideas out of my butt right now.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The dealer where I bought the bike puts Mobile One 20W-50 Semi or Full Synthetic in the bikes (Wet or Dry Clutch). My bike even had a big ugly 'USE MOBILE ONE' sticker on it.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
My owners manual states that I should use 20W50 oil in the bike. My favorite Ducati mechanic, Jim Davis at Nichols Manufacturing, put 15W50 in it when I had my 18,000 mile service. There isn't a big difference between those two weights. They're both rates SG.

However, if you put in 10W40 or 10W30, it is likely rated SH or SJ and would be an energy conserving oil. My biggest concern with that type of oil would be the survival of the gear faces.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If I understand it correctly the 10W (low temp viscosity, W=winter) is not enough for the transmission but would be fine for the motor. You use the higher wieght (15W/20W) to satisfy the engine and transmission at the same time. The -50 is because of the higher viscosity needed at high temp. Correct?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
My owners manual says 20w50. My dealer said that's correct but highly recommended motorcycle specific oil (like the Klotz he sell's for $8 something a qt.)

I use Valvoline Synth. in everything I run and am using it (the 20w50) in my Duc. Ran it in many Yamaha's and Suzuki's w/ wet clutches too...

My $ 0.02 worth.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I am running Mobil 1 15W-50 in my 02 750's wet clutch after it was reccomemded to me by my favorite Ducati shop Rredline Performance Motorsports in Yorktown VA. I have no problem @ all. I'm very happy thus far.

M

·
0 Posts
I've been running the Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50 motorcycle oil. Fully synthetic etc. but notes on the bottle OK for the wet clutch. Cost about $2.50 extra per quart. They proably leave something out and charge more.

Actually this is the first bike that I even worried about car oil vs. wetclutch. Never had any problems before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts