Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this elsewhere on the board but thought one specifically for the MOB would be great. I love discovering new restaurants and new tastes. With the myriad of culinary offerings in the Bay Area, this would be a great tool. I put together an impromptu format:

Category: (Japanese, Mexican, Micro-Brew, Italian, etc)
Attire or "Feel": (Casual/+1/Too Stuffy)
Restaurant Name:
Location (Address/Phone if Known):
Pricing: ($/$$/$$$):
Recommendation: :mad: / :mad: :mad: or [thumbsup] / [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Comments:

I'll start...

Category: Indian
Attire or "Feel": Casual
Restaurant Name: Torch of India
Location (Address/Phone if Known): Vacaville

Pricing: ($/$$/$$$): $$ Note: A complete dinner for 2 including wine will run approx. $35 plus tip.
Recommendation: [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Comments: I love Indian food. This place has FABULOUS Indian cuisine - very flavorful and served in perfect portions. The Lamb Vindaloo is my fav. Tony, the owner, and all the staff are wonderful. They get busy sometimes and seemed hurried but are never rude. The place is small but cozy. Compared to another Indian restaurant we went to recently in Berkley, Torch of India shines in its overall value and dining experience. I highly recommend it anytime you are over my way...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Category: Japanes
Restaurant Name:Juni
Location Polk and Sutter, SF
Pricing: ($/$$/$$$): Happy hour - 2 dollar drafts, 3 dollar rolls. otherwise $$
Recommendation: thumbsup
Comments: Great hamachi rolls, great staff, great 'tini's, and sapporo. Perfect place to come to before heading out for some music and shows in the civic center area.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Y'know this means that eventually we'll have to organize MOB trips to try these places out...Mmmmm....food..

For Indian I love Vik's in Berkeley. Cheap and good chaaat complete with lots o' deserts. I wanna try this Torch of India soon though.

Japanese: We Be Sushi on 16th and Valencia, SF is my favorite sushi place by far (Even if DatTv strongly disagrees with me :p ) I've tried lot's of sushi places in the city and on the eastside. We Be Sushi seems to have the perfect balance between all the ingredients and the perfect size maki and sashimi. PLUS they have unfiltered sake! Nanayiro in Berkeley comes in a close 2nd though.

All places are casual
Pricing is CHEAP all around

But Jammen will probably agree with me that the most worth your money ($19-$25 per plate) for Cuban is La Bodeguita del Medio in Palo Alto (El Camino Real & California). I rode in the rain for two hours ( I got lost ) last Friday just to have the Tiera y Mar (Steak and Shrimp).

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Monkey vs Robot said:
Y'know this means that eventually we'll have to organize MOB trips to try these places out...Mmmmm....food..
I'm sure that's what Rick had in mind :D That would definitely be 8) Start organizing, I'm IN!

Great thread! [thumbsup] Personal recommendations are the best kind.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Monkey vs Robot said:
But Jammen will probably agree with me that the most worth your money ($19-$25 per plate) for Cuban is La Bodeguita del Medio in Palo Alto (El Camino Real & California). I rode in the rain for two hours ( I got lost ) last Friday just to have the Tiera y Mar (Steak and Shrimp).
+1 for Cuban. I think this is the place with a cigar room in the back? If so, [thumbsup] [thumbsup] on the cigars :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Monkey vs Robot said:
(Even if DatTv strongly disagrees with me :p ) I've tried lot's of sushi places in the city and on the eastside. We Be Sushi seems to have the perfect balance between all the ingredients and the perfect size maki and sashimi. PLUS they have unfiltered sake! Nanayiro in Berkeley comes in a close 2nd though.

All places are casual
Pricing is CHEAP all around
Trust me, you don't want CHEAP sushi :-X

Ino Sushi is the best in SF by far, and for spectacular, albeit expensive, sushi go to Sawa in Sunnyvale.

I've never heard of Nanayiro, but based on the source of the reccommendation... [cheeky]

·
Registered
310 Posts
I could not agree more on going for cheap sushi....but the best sushi in the Bay Area is at Yuzu on Filmore in the Marina. Trust me, I am a sushi snob, and this place is the ****!!!!! They love me there, they will take great care of anyone who knows me.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] on SUSHI... I have my fav too! Will post later. But for now, can we try to use the format with the recommendations? :) It allows for easier and balanced comparisons. Location, Pricing and Comments are particularly helpful. Thanks!!!!

Category: (Japanese, Mexican, Micro-Brew, Italian, etc)
Attire or "Feel": (Casual/+1/Too Stuffy)
Restaurant Name:
Location (Address/Phone if Known):
Pricing: ($/$$/$$$):
Recommendation: / or /
Comments:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ducky said:
+1 for Cuban. I think this is the place with a cigar room in the back? If so, [thumbsup] [thumbsup] on the cigars :)
That's the place, though there is a much better cigar lounge about half a block away, AKA Jammen's porch, $8 cigars and free booze. [cheeky]
Del Medio is a bit pricey on the cigars, so I've never bothered going back there.

And my recommendation,
Peninsula Creamery in Palo Alto, absolutely awesome burgers. The BBQ Bacon burger is frigging amazing. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Cheap doesn't mean bad. Anyone who thinks they have to spend a lot of money on sushi has been going to the wrong places.

G

·
For folks looking for excellent, relaxed dining there's Woodward's Garden (right around the corner from the 'Giest)

Category: French / whole, fresh food.
Attire or "Feel": Semi casual dress & waitstaff
Restaurant Name: Woodward's Garden
Pricing: ($/$$/$$$): $$
Recommendation: one of my faves.
Comments:Not cheap, but also one of the city's best restaurants (i.e. 4 star food with a 3 star price)

Plus you can take your date out to dinner there and meet the MOB crowd afterwards
(and yes, I've done this with my wife :-[)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Monkey vs Robot said:
Cheap doesn't mean bad. Anyone who thinks they have to spend a lot of money on sushi has been going to the wrong places.
::)
<wretching> ummm, well, good, fresh, high quality fish is expensive. I know, I purchase thousands of dollars worth per week. Bad fish, on the other hand, is cheap... The math is easy.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
datv said:
::)
<wretching> ummm, well, good, fresh, high quality fish is expensive. I know, I purchase thousands of dollars worth per week. Bad fish, on the other hand, is cheap... The math is easy.
Where's the sushi place you said was the best in the Bay Area, datv? Wasn't it in like sunnyvale or something?

Oh, and you got a recommendation for a steak joint? One near lots of shopping? ;D

·
Registered
454 Posts
+1 on Woodward's Garden, although I haven't eaten there in several years.

A few of my local favorites:

Category: Spanish Tapas
Attire or "Feel": Casual, slightly upscale (for Berkeley)
Restaurant Name: Cesar
Location (Address/Phone if Known): Shattuck near Cedar, next to Chez Panisse
Pricing: ($/$$/$$$): $$
Recommendation:
Comments: Small plates - menu changes often. Try the regular spicy tuna and egg bocadillo (my favorite samich), or the frites with herbs (house favorite, and by far the best fries you'll ever have - but they are not always on the menu). I've never had anything bad here. Once they had quail on the menu and it was amazing. Great wine and cocktails. Open til 12 every day.

Category: South American Tapas
Attire or "Feel": Slightly hip/upscale
Restaurant Name: Fonda
Location (Address/Phone if Known): Solano ave (near Santa Fe), either Berkeley or Albany, not sure
Pricing: ($/$$/$$$): $$$
Recommendation:
Comments: Small plates. Fantastic food, great bar focused on rum drinks. Recommend the caiprinhas. Ceviche or tuna tartare dishes are usually excellent. Open til 12 or 1.

Category: Communist pizza
Attire or "Feel": Hippie
Restaurant Name: Cheeseboard Pizza
Location (Address/Phone if Known): Shattuck Ave near Cedar, across from Chez Panisse
Pricing: ($/$$/$$$): $ / $$
Recommendation:
Comments: Only one type of pizza served every day, by the slice, always vegetarian, based on onions/cheese/tomatoes/cilantro/etc. Live jazz often, cheap wine and beer. They are in the process of expanding, which might improve the cramped seating.

I'd also have to recommend Rivoli (Solano) and Chez Panisse (Shattuck), for full dinner treatment. You can't go wrong with either.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EXcellent!! I love the "Communist Pizza" category!! [thumbsup]

Category: Sushi (and the usual Japanese fare)
Restaurant Name: Bay Sushi
Location (Address/Phone if Known): BAY SUSHI, 1305 GATEWAY BLVD, FAIRFIELD, CA, 94533 ( Tel 707-422-1630)
Pricing: ($/$$/$$$): $$ ($15 All-you-can-eat Lunch and $20 AYCE Dinner)
Recommendation: [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Comments: Growing up in Japan makes one very keen to understanding/recognizing good/authentic Japanese food. So having spent many of my formative years there, I've come to be VERY critical with anything Japanese (or anything attempting to pass itself up as Japanese). Therefore, its always been tough finding "that one place". Normally, I will cringe and not even CONSIDER any place that is non-Japanese owned/operated (kinda like eating at a Chinese restaurant with a Mexican cook - just ain't right). So when my buddy intoduced me to Bay Sushi in Faifield and I realized the "Sushiya" I was in was staffed almost entirely by Koreans, I was very highly sceptical to say the least. I've been to "non-Japanese Japanese restaurants" in the past and have never walked away impressed. This time - it was different. Their sushi, although very "updated" (read: non-traditional - beyond maguro) was very good! I started with the usual (Maguro, Hamachi, etc) to get an idea how fresh their simplest offerings were - very good. Their "designer" sushi (Dragon Roll, 49er Roll, Jack Pot, etc) was incredibly good - delicious! The maki-shushi did not fall apart (rice was perfect). The portions were considerable. Bay does a great job of filling you up with great sushi and Japanese beer (Asahi Dry please) AND... do it at a great price. Although, I've been to more "authentic" sushiyas (outside of Japan), this one, especially being non-Japanese owned/operated, get's my stamp of approval. Give it a go!! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts