Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little red oil light is sporadically turning on and through the window I can see that my oil level is a little low.

If I need to add a quart or two, I assume I'll have to find some of the fully synthetic stuff that the dealership used last time?

In the meantime can I put in some Mobil 1 or full synthetic of another brand?

Also, on a 2001 M600, can the oil light flashing indicate any other problems I should concern myself with?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i'm assuming the oil like flashes on/off while the engine's running, right? for the oil-level, you're checking with the bike upright or on the side-stand? if it's on the side-stand the level shown in the sight glass isn't accurate. have an assistant hold it upright or lift it with a rear stand so you can check the correct level (with the engine off of course).
if the level truly is low, check around the filter, the drain screw and around the engine for leaks. an m600 shouldn't be consuming oil, or at least not nearly enough to risk a low-level.
if there's no leak, and the level's low, go over and ask your dealer for an explaination if they were the last to do a change.

oh, and regarding mixing types, you should have no problem adding a bit of whatever type you have available as long as it's the same weight. check your manual for what's recommended.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the oil level upright, after the engine has had time to warm up a bit and it is a little low.

Also, it appears as if there maybe some oil leaking out of the vertical cylinder onto where the transmission components are. It could be general grime but I am going to wipe everything down tonight and take her for a run to see if anything accumulates. If this leak is the case, what sort of problems could I have?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, cleared all the gunk and grime off between the vertical cyclinder and transmisson area, went for a quick 5 mile ride and had no evidence of oil leakage from the vertical cylinder, in addition to the oil light not coming on -very strange. will fill up with some full synthetic and see if leakage persists

while i was down there cleaning stuff off, i came across a mini swiss army knife that I store under the seat for emergency purposes (apparently it had become dislodged, fell through the cracks and had partially melted to the top of the tranny/engine block. word to the wise -don't put loose crap under your seat, make sure its in the little bag Ducati provides. doh...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts