Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing what mirrors people are using that are not bar end ones and where you got them from.

The set that came with the bike are terrible and the previous owner gave me a set of bar end ones, which I don't like.

So what have you put one and where did you get them from?

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
What bar end mirrors did they give you? A good set with convex mirrors will let you see a lot more than the stock mirrors even though they're smaller and they don't vibrate at all. I have CRG Hindsight mirrors which are great. A lot of members here like CRG's Lanesplitter mirrors which fold in. Just a thought.

For regular mirrors, I hear Rizoma makes really nice ones but they're pricey. They also make bar end ones, too... but still $$.

·
Registered
880 Posts
What bar end mirrors did they give you? A good set with convex mirrors will let you see a lot more than the stock mirrors even though they're smaller and they don't vibrate at all. I have CRG Hindsight mirrors which are great. A lot of members here like CRG's Lanesplitter mirrors which fold in. Just a thought.

For regular mirrors, I hear Rizoma makes really nice ones but they're pricey. They also make bar end ones, too... but still $$.
I had those on my Monster and the bike before that. They are vibration free but they make objects in the mirror appear smaller and it takes some getting used to them.

Rizoma makes some nice stalk mounted mirrors that are supposed to be pretty good at eliminating vibrations but I have no experience with them personally... and they are expensive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Bar end mirrors are illegal in my state, and the police are starting to crack down on them at the moment for some revenue raising. So would prefer to steer clear from the bar end ones. Plus I much prefer the look of normal mirrors.

The Rizoma ones are pretty much the only ones I can find at the moment. Pricey, yes !!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Rizoma mirrors do not vibrate.... Bar ends can be a bust.

Here in Califucya my local shop takes care of all the CHP bikes so it is pretty easy to strike up conversations with them. One of the guys said he pulls over everyone with bar end mirrors because "they are not safe". Said he could care less about exhaust systems but not having "real" mirrors was an issue for him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Here in Califucya my local shop takes care of all the CHP bikes so it is pretty easy to strike up conversations with them. One of the guys said he pulls over everyone with bar end mirrors because "they are not safe". Said he could care less about exhaust systems but not having "real" mirrors was an issue for him.
Yeah exactly..... unless an exhaust is totally ridiculously loud you are normally safe. But things like mirrors are a dead give away if a bike is legal or not. And I don't want that attention, plus I just don't like the look of bar end mirrors. So I don't have much of an option but to spend the dollars if I want better mirrors. Rizoma are pretty expensive though.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have Rizoma Class mirrors. They look much better than stock, but they do NOT provide a better view (the stock mirrors sucked in this regard and the Rizomas are just as bad). If you are looking for an improved look, I can recommend them, but if you are looking for an improved view, consider another option.

·
Registered
880 Posts

I've run bar end mirrors for more than 6 years and nearly 35,000 miles here in SoCal and never been hassled by cops for having them even when pulled over for another infraction (speeding).

That said, I will not be putting bar end mirrors on my Multistrada. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've run bar end mirrors for more than 6 years and nearly 35,000 miles here in SoCal and never been hassled by cops for having them even when pulled over for another infraction (speeding).

That said, I will not be putting bar end mirrors on my Multistrada. ;)
Yes but CHP is funny that way. So much of it depends on if they're on the prowl or not. The saturation patrols up here in Malibu, especially on Mulholland and down on PCH get pretty crazy. Not that long ago they were pulling people over to check DOT helmet compliance. As if a white Shoei Rf 1200 might not be compliant? Lately the BIG issue has been integrated turn signals.

On the other hand if you're buried in some dense traffic up in Hollywood you could be naked and drinkin a beer and they wouldn't bother.

I tend not to give them any reason but if they wanna pull ya over they're gonna.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes but CHP is funny that way. Lately the BIG excuse has been integrated turn signals.
Fixed it for ya!

I used to run around those hills when my 1992 CBR was the hot **** in the canyons. Don't miss it. After running into the constant "saturation patrols" up there and getting tickets for 5mph over I stopped riding up there completely.

Angeles Crest and the high desert roads on weekdays were my favorites. Still do not think I would ride down there for fun on the weekends, ever!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In Queensland, Australia we have some pretty backward screwed up laws where they are trying to target so called "bikies".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-16/barns-queensland-bikie-laws/5025742

http://theconversation.com/factcheck-will-the-queensland-bikie-laws-affect-innocent-riders-19329

Under these new laws, if there is an assumption that you may be linked to a bikie gang, you can be detained for up to 23 hours for questioning. Other powers that the police have is that if you are riding in a group of more than 3 bikes, they have to right to pull you over for no reason just to check if you are a associated to a bikie gang. Just crazy stuff.

So yes, whilst something small like illegal mirrors may not be a big deal, the police here just got on a war-path of revenue raising and targeting groups, like motorcycle enthusiasts, it is just BS !!

So back to the issue of mirrors.... there aren't many options apart from either genuine Duc or cheap Chinese imports. So I am going to bite the bullet and go Rizoma Speed Naked's. They have to be better than what I have now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Fixed it for ya!

I used to run around those hills when my 1992 CBR was the hot **** in the canyons. Don't miss it. After running into the constant "saturation patrols" up there and getting tickets for 5mph over I stopped riding up there completely.

Angeles Crest and the high desert roads on weekdays were my favorites. Still do not think I would ride down there for fun on the weekends, ever!
Angeles Crest is still one of my favorite rides, especially at dawn. I ride Mulholland and PCH cause I live in those canyons. I get on my bike and I'm already there :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Rizoma Class mirrors. They look much better than stock, but they do NOT provide a better view (the stock mirrors sucked in this regard and the Rizomas are just as bad). If you are looking for an improved look, I can recommend them, but if you are looking for an improved view, consider another option.
TRUTH. Can't see a lick w/ these Rizomas, but they look sweet from the other side of the glass..!
[/url]IMG_2365 by JeremyConnors, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've gone for the Rizoma Speed Naked's. Received them after a few weeks of ordering, and after 1 week of stuffing around with the adaptor bolts that were provided, installed them on the weekend. They look great, with plenty of adjustability. Haven't gone for a ride yet, so will report back once I have.

Will also post pics probably this weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Also check Barracuda mirrors.
They have several non-barend mirrors in different styles/sizes that are cheaper than Rizoma
Jeff H
monsterparts.com

·
Registered
333 Posts
Also check Barracuda mirrors.
They have several non-barend mirrors in different styles/sizes that are cheaper than Rizoma
Jeff H
monsterparts.com
Hey Jeff,
He already bought the Rizoma ones :p Bc Rizoma is just straight badass :cool:

But ya for anyone else reading this, the Barracuda are really nice quality mirrors, but personally I just have a love for Rizoma stuff :)

Check out :
http://www.monsterparts.com/c/Mirrors/Mirrors.html
for some good options!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got the Rizoma Veloce Naked in all black. The assembly seems to attenuate the vibration very well--much better than the stock one and look waay better too.

The clarity in the optics is also greatly improved. Yeah, they're pricey. Took at least 3 or 4 visits to the site before hit that "place order" button ;.

If you can afford them you won't be disappointed. Just all around bad ass

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Rizoma mirrors look great, but $120 to $150 per mirror? Seriously, $300 for a set of mirrors?

I did buy the Rizoma turn signals and those now seem a good deal compared to the mirrors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts