Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..
Getting ready to drop some cash on an o6 s2r with 5 tho miles but something concerns me. The bike is impeccable but the one thing that bugs me is a milky cloudy look on the oil glass where you check the oil level. Ive seen this on a few monsters and this guy even had it on his other monster! Is this common or an indicator of something bad? Maybe water in the oil or is it simply a chemical reaction or condensation? Local duc shop cant tell me anything....thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Condensation. Once it gets hot it'll go away. Let it sit over time and it'll come back. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Normal as stated above that it will go away once the oil is at temp.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks..

Appreciate it guys. Had me a little worried. After a month of convincing myself top be patient and looking at many many monsters I am finally going with a great bike. 06 red/white/white wheels s2r 800 clean as can be for 5k. Picking it up this fri....going to be a looong week.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You will love it I just picked up literally exactly the same bike, Its going to my daily rider, trying to keep some miles off my 848 baby. They ride so nice, mine has arrow slip ons and just sounds mean!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea dude I cannot wait to pick this thing up. Love the arrows...probably my favorite exhaust. Just dropped 300 in mods and havent even picked up the bike yet! CRG bar end mirrors(a must in my opinion over the mickey mouse stock mirrors), k&n filter, wheel stripes in red of course, 14t sprocket,bar ends. Next paycheck will be frame sliders. Have to wait on the exhaust though...maybe will core mine although I have no inclination to do it myself..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got Arrow full carbons on my S4R and they sound absolutely incredible ;D;D;D. ...But there's a disadvantage. I love, LOVE how mean my bike sounds but it gets too much attention! The 996 isn't comfortable below about 4K RPM and from 4K up it sounds like an indy car. Makes me grin until I'm in the vacinity of law enforcement. I've only been riding her a few days but EVERY time I've let off the juice, which is rather instinctive on contact with smokey, the esteemed officers snap their heads in my direction immediately. This is just normal riding, not bangin' gears. I don't know if the slip ons are a little less potent, if they are they may be a little better choice given the situation described. If you go full carbon, wear your FOP shirt when you ride...lol

-BunnMan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahaha..that is the price you gotta pay! By the way thanks bunnman for the advice a few weeks back about being patient with my purchase. Did just that and got the bike in the color Ive always wanted and also in immaculate condition. If you ever get tired of those arrows....lemme know..lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Adam,

I'm diggin em so they probably aren't coming off any time soon UNLESS I need the revenue to pay the ticket ;)

Congrats on the purchase bro, welcome to the club from it's newest member...lol

-BunnMan

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
water pump shaft seal is seaping?

i have the same problem with my oil window. it is NOT water or condensation. there is no question about that. it is a thick hard white opaque film which does not change depending on the temperature of the engine or time it sits. the consensus at my ducati shop is that my water pump shaft seal is seeping a little coolant into the oil making it cloudy.

can anyone else confirm this before i spend $400 to have them fix it? thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine comes and goes but I'm pretty sure it's not coolant ...
The little time I owned my S2R, I noticed that. Totally normal I think. My buddy's 900 does the same. And so that my SV650 when I take it out of storage.

On the SV, it goes away. Unless you turn it on and then don't ride it. That's not a good thing to do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine comes and goes but I'm pretty sure it's not coolant ...
If it's a 796, then it's definitely not coolant.

It happens on both my Sport 1000 and M796 due to condensation, but it goes away after a long ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have it on my sight glass as well. I bought it from a friend who NEVER rode it (a 2000 with under 1900 miles...). He did just change the oil before I picked it up, and after putting a few hundred miles on it, the white spot has gotten smaller. However, I unscrewed the filler cap and found some of it on the underside of the cap. I got out a q-tip and swabbed it, it was thick and sticky, with a consistency like cottage-cheese or something similar. I don't really feel like taking the side covers off, but I might do so next oil change to investigate further.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys..
Getting ready to drop some cash on an o6 s2r with 5 tho miles but something concerns me. The bike is impeccable but the one thing that bugs me is a milky cloudy look on the oil glass where you check the oil level. Ive seen this on a few monsters and this guy even had it on his other monster! Is this common or an indicator of something bad? Maybe water in the oil or is it simply a chemical reaction or condensation? Local duc shop cant tell me anything....thanks!
I'm having the same situation but my looks more horrible because I remove the oli cap and is full of milky sustance and the sight window it's milky as well. I dont know how did water get into the engine because my bike it's a Monster 796 air cooled. what it the best option for mine situatuation

·
Registered
335 Posts
Condensation mixes with the oil to create a milky film. This usually appears in the cooler months or if the bike is used for short periods where the engine oil does not get hot enough to evaporate the moisture in the oil. It happens in all gasoline engines, it's just that most engines don't have a window where it can be viewed. It should not be a problem. Now, if you are getting coolant in the oil that's another issue, but you can usually smell the coolant.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts