Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

For those of you who didn't put the stickers on the forks, what did you do?

Has anyone found a site that sells some sort of plate to mount them on?

I really don't want to put them on the forks, and I don't have the fairing.
I'd really like some sort of attachment that can be removed...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
hey. I used to ride with a bunch of military guys. Alot of them just got a piece of scrap aluminum large enough for whatever stickers they needed and bolted them on wherever they could. Probably doesn't help much, but I bet any of the machine shops on the bases would fab something up for you.

For my UH sticker, I put it on the side of the tach/speedo housing. (I don't have any fairings at all.) It's large enough, though, that they can glance at it in passing and know that it's valid.

BTW, which base(s) are you trying to get on? I have a project I'm working on as a civilian contractor. I'm based at Tripler, but I have to get on to Pearl Harbor, and Kaneohe Marine Corp base. As a civilian I thought I could just get on with the full gear and reflective vest, but the guy at Tripler asked me for proof that I took the class. Do you happen to know if they mean the military class or the one offered by the State?

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
you need your MSF card to register the bike to ride on base.

last I checked, the req at pearl is full gear (jacket/shirt of "contrasting color") and a vest for night.
not sure what MCBH wants. one of those icon mil-spec vests will do you good no matter where, and it's a plus if you don't want to look like a jogger/construction worker

also, don't fab a plate that mounts below the brake line clamp thingy on the lower triple. it's a good way to scratch the nuts out of your fender under full braking

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chupa,

Yeah, that would be almost perfect! Is it easily removable? I want to take mine off when not riding to base, if possible...

Teddy,

Thanks for the heads up, if I put it there, I will angle it to avoid that from happening...

Island_duc,

Not sure which class they were talking about. I would assume the MSF at Fort Storey...

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Man, I finally got written confirmation that I passed the MSF class back in 1998. You don't want to know what I went through to get that since I lost my card. Anyway, I show it to the decal person at Tripler and she's like, where's your other one? I guess I have to take the class that all the military guys do even though I'm a civilian contractor.

The class she referred me to is given at Hickam AFB. It's weird though because it didn't sound like an MSF class. She said that all riders have to be checked out on the motorcycle that they intend to bring on base. It's hard to explain, but she said that the class is designed to make sure that the rider can safely handle a motorcycle of X cc's, with X being the size of the engine of your bike. For instance, I'll have to demonstrate that I can handle a bike of 695 cc's. Anyone take that class?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I was just about to post about th MSF class, but you popped up with a new question too quickly!

As for the Hickam class, it may be the Experienced Rider Course, in that you have to provide the bike you would normally ride for the class. It could also be some wierd AF reg that can be circumvented by going to a Navy or Army base. I do have info for all courses that are taught at Wheeler, free, should you need it.

And Chupa, that's a fine piece of kit. If only I'd seen it 3 weeks ago, before I plastered those fancy stickers all over my fork leg.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
ah, looks like army is picky like air force... well, unless they changed it across the board. when I re-took the BRC last year (jumped in w/some noob friends of mine, it was pretty fun, even the 2nd time), we had a bunch of military guys who had to ride their own bikes through the class, but they were all air force. I felt bad for the guy on the R6 (new rider, to boot) try to do the low speed weave :-\

I know they do classes out at sand island in conjunction w/the LCC ones, and (for military) we can do them for free. if the one at hickam is free, it couldn't hurt to sign up

:edit: they offer both BRC and ERC for military... BRC on own bike was required, at least for air force AFAIK

:edit again: cool beans! those plates can be custom sized... I might have to look into one of those

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
elTristo said:
It could also be some wierd AF reg that can be circumvented by going to a Navy or Army base.
The SGT that walked me through inprocessing said to try to go to Pearl to register the bike. Let's say they gave me the decal, could I still get in at Tripler? That's where my office and two of my project sites are. Jeez, pre-911 I used to go there all the time on my bike. There wasn't any security.

teddy037 said:
if the one at hickam is free, it couldn't hurt to sign up
Yeah, I guess that's true. i was mainly worried about the time. When I took the MSF class back in 98 it was 3 full sundays, 8 hours each sunday. How long are the classes these days?

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
island_duc said:
The SGT that walked me through inprocessing said to try to go to Pearl to register the bike. Let's say they gave me the decal, could I still get in at Tripler? That's where my office and two of my project sites are. Jeez, pre-911 I used to go there all the time on my bike. There wasn't any security.

Yeah, I guess that's true. i was mainly worried about the time. When I took the MSF class back in 98 it was 3 full sundays, 8 hours each sunday. How long are the classes these days?
the BRC is 3, the ERC is 1. I suppose if you can get in on an ERC, that'll be the easiest. well, reg'ing it at pearl would be the easiest. w/a sticker and your CAC, you can get on most all the bases. of course, I'm sure you'd need a reason to be on pearl to reg it there ;) I think they ask for your org and all that

looks like that sgt was trying to help you out, navy could still be more relaxed about it

and happy turkey day, r-lo ;D

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
teddy037 said:
I'm sure you'd need a reason to be on pearl to reg it there ;)
Actually, one of our project sites is there at Pearl. Plus, they told me to try to get my CAC card there too because the guy at Tripler was swamped.

Happy T'day to you too. Are you having a local style meal or haole? We're going haole all the way here--turkey, mac and cheese, pumpkin pie, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
bingo! [thumbsup] I'd have a go at pearl, then.

eatin' haole today... well, plus rice, of course ;D

god, I need to fix my bike... I really want to ride. you doing toys for tots this year?

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
gotta dig up the email... I'll post it in ORC

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm not going to imply that it might be easier at the navy base, but that's what I'd try. Yup.

When/where's the T for T? Mind if I crash it?

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
elTristo said:
I'm not going to imply that it might be easier at the navy base, but that's what I'd try. Yup.

When/where's the T for T? Mind if I crash it?
Yeah, I'm gonna try Pearl.

As for the T for T, the more the merrier! Let's get all the O'ahu monsters together!

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
elTristo said:
all they asked for was my MSF card... didn't even look for my bike, they just gave me the stickers ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts