Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I'm still only getting 80 miles or so to a tankful. Other were reporting double that. Am I doing something wrong? I know at first I wasn't filling it up all the way, but I've remedied that now.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
are you basing that on when the light first come on?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I get about 80 miles before the light first comes on. I'm on a 620 Dark.

I don't really know how far I can go after the light, I usually get gas when the light comes on.

Usually put in about 2 gallons worth of gas, so I guess I could have gone 30 to 40 miles farther.

I don't know..

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
80 on a 620? Somethings a miss there. I regularly got 50 mpg on my 620. Usually gassed up at 150 on the tank , and the light wouldn't have come on yet.

a 695 might get a couple less miles per gallon than a 620, but 80 per tank is horrid, and not right. Hell my 900 does better than that, and she's a thirsty girl.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
yuu said:
80 on a 620? Somethings a miss there. I regularly got 50 mpg on my 620. Usually gassed up at 150 on the tank , and the light wouldn't have come on yet.

a 695 might get a couple less miles per gallon than a 620, but 80 per tank is horrid, and not right. Hell my 900 does better than that, and she's a thirsty girl.
I know. I should have it checked out. A lot of my riding is in stop and go traffic, so maybe that's the culprit...

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Only 80? I get 110-120+ miles on my 695 before the light comes on. I ride daily in the stop and go NYC traffic and aggressively on the highways when I get past the traffic. I guess what I'm saying is that I ride all thru the range. I get 45-55 mpg depending on if I'm doing local/highway riding. If you're getting 80 miles, that's about 30 mpg -- not great but not so bad. If I'm just on the highway, I actually get close to 60 mpg riding aggressively 85+ mph.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm usually at 80 miles when the light goes on. I"m worndering if it could be me. I was a great deal smoother on my F4, but to goggle up 30 to 40 miles due to poor technique? I don't think I'm that bad. Plus I ride back and forth to work down a one way road that's about 3 miles long, tops.

May be if things don't improve I'll take her in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
RMartin said:
My light comes on at 125-130 miles every time.
+1 more. during break in i was getting about 150 a tank. now that i have the whole rpm range i wind up getting the above milage, i might suggest staying below 6k 80% of the time if you want to see more milage, but that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I get 125 MINIMUM. 150 if ridden conservatively.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
OK the tank is 3.6 gallon tank. With that said the light usually comes on at 1.5 gallons left for me. If I fill up right when the light comes on I rarely can put more than 2 gallons of gas in. So if you got 80 miles and the light came on you are getting somewhere around 40mpg, but you have plently of gas to keep going for a while. I would not trust the light anyways, they are known to be inconsistant. Watch how many miles you have gone and fill up accordingly. You can easily get 100-120 out of a tank and still have plently of gas left. I have had the light come on at 110 miles and still went another 17 miles and when I filled up did not hit 3 gallons.
I have always had the light come on at 100 miles and last night it came on at 85, I had a longer ride so I filled up then instead of going another 20 miles. I rid traffic and rarely get on the highway during the week.

The Moral of the story is to not always trust the "idiot lights". Make sure you watch the miles per tank and use the light as a reminder, but do not count on it. If you just start to fill up at 100 or a little after you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Paper5tr3et7 said:
I get 125 MINIMUM. 150 if ridden conservatively.
+1 for me on this. However, with the new exhaust on Im sure that will change significantly.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just found my last gas receipt. I put in 2.399 gallons. I filled up with about 80 miles on the clock, so that's 33.3 miles/gallon, if my math is correct. That sucks compared to what you guys are getting. That leaves me with about 1.2 gallons in the tank when the light goes on.

I'll have quit being so hamfisted with the loud handle and see if it goes much better.

thanks all.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
island_duc,

Mine usually comes on around 100. I ride to/from Hickam, and around Waikiki. Are your paths similiar? I know I lose mileage sitting on H1 on the way home...

Also, which octane are you using? You should be using the cheap stuff, 87...

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
island_duc said:
I just found my last gas receipt. I put in 2.399 gallons. I filled up with about 80 miles on the clock, so that's 33.3 miles/gallon, if my math is correct. That sucks compared to what you guys are getting. That leaves me with about 1.2 gallons in the tank when the light goes on.
My M1000S gets about the same MPG on a 12-13 mile commute, combo of freeway and stoplight city, and at my weight (300lbs, with gear and luggage) and height (6'4", so I catch a lot of air), I've learned to live with it. I get a light at about 105 miles. Highway at (um, ...) cruising speed, it's more like 43-44 MPG. It's hard to tell from one tank, though. For two or three tanks, use a well-measured external can.

Sounds to me like you have two, or three, problems.

#1, the sensor for fuel level is WAY out of whack. The light is coming on at 1.2 gallons, rather than 0.8. Document it and get it fixed. The additional 0.4 gallons will give you another 13 miles before the light comes on, and then you'll have more than 15 to actually fill it.

#2, that mileage stinks, even with lots of throttle. The bike could be running more than a bit rich, wasting fuel. I don't know if your bike has open- or closed-loop injection (spec's say Euro3, so I would guess closed), and if the sensors (CO, O2, whatever) are not up to spec'
you're not going to get optimum performance or mileage. Mods are a different issue, but you need a solid baseline to work from. I also wonder if you've got a different fuel mix in your area, like an ethanol or some other additive that reduces mileage and/or confuses the ECU. Alchohol is a stupid internal combustion fuel for mileage, since there's a LOT less available energy per pound/liter than real gasoline, or, even better, diesel (hey, I know, a turbo-diesel Monster for places with decent fuel).

#3, could be some technique issues. Many (most , maybe) of us are a bit aggressive on the throttle, 'specially at on-ramps and things, so that shouldn't hurt you comparing your mileage to ours. You can buy back some mileage by being smart about impending stops. No reason to stay on the throttle ALL the way to a light that's going to be, or is already, red, then brake hard. Also, it's not necessary to zip through EVERY gap between cars, getting on and off the throttle. Use your normally better sight range to pick the really useful gaps that let you pass a bunch of cars for each twist.

·
Registered
322 Posts
island_duc...how big are you?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts