Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Which line will dissapear next as Ducati simplifies the model line-up?

• Desmosedici

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hypermotard

• Monster

• Multistrada

• Sport Classic

• Sport Touring

• Superbike

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beancounters at Ducati are planning to simplify the model line. The SS is now gone, and so are the 620's, as well as ST4's. So who do you think is next?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Multistrada... just call it a hunch.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Pip said:
Multistrada... just call it a hunch.
I doubt it, my understanding is it's a very popular seller for them. I voted desmosedicci because my understanding is that's always been meant to be a limited issue.

David B.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
EvilSteve said:
ST goes bye bye unless sales pick up.
Which isn't going to happen - they haven't changed anything on it. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Of course, I don't think they are expecting any different results, they're just hoping to use up all of the 3 valve motors.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
By all accounts they're making the most money on the high end models. So I think the cheaper versions of most of the lines would be the first to go. So don't look for a hypermotard with the 695 motor (which is the closest to a traditional supermoto engine size.)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I'm going to say the S2R 800. Just a stab in the dark really. Nothing against the 800 so don't go crazy on me you 800 owners.

If you look at the model line up the 800 is the odd man out. The 1000 is used in the Sport Classics, the Multi, and the Monster. So you know it's not going anywhere.

The 695 is their entry level machine and they aren't going to get rid of it because they need something to go up against the SV and Ninja 650.

The Testastretta motored bikes aren't in any danger because they need that motor for the SBK. And while you're making them it doesn't cost anything to put one in the S4R.

So the 800 motored bikes seem like the likely choice....especially if there are no SS bikes to put the 800 in.

But the Monster sells well and I see tons of S2R 800's so I don't think they'll do it. But it is the odd man out engine wise.

Aside from that how about the 749? It's up against a ton of killer 600's and the new 675. Plus, it has the styling of the defunct 999. So they either need to fix it or kill it.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
jswledhed said:
Building a distance bike with a 6000 mile service interval was pretty short sighted to begin with. Sales could pick up with Ducati's claim that all 2007 models have had their maintenance intervals doubled. But, I doubt it. 8)
Agreed 100%.

Other strikes against the ST:

Chain drive
Chain drive + dual sided swingarm = makes on the road chain changes and tire changes worse than competition.
6000mi services as pointed out.

mitt

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I wonder if Ducati keeps the ST down a bit so as not to take away from SBK sales? Much like Porsche does with the Boxster. Maybe thats why the ST4s never got the Ohlins forks and the SSS from the 996 too. And then it just dissapears. No tesstaretta upgrade, no radial brakes, no nuttin! Hmmmmm

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah, we discussed this ad nauseam (which I enjoy :) ) when the Ducati stategic report came out.

The general consensus was that the SS and ST were both goners. According to company market data, Ducati claims the dual sport sales world wide are growing exponentially which seems to suggest they will keep the MTS around despite dismal sales numbers.

I'm worried about that though, because the dual sport division is taking off because of bikes like the suzuki dzr 400 and the kawasaki 650. The MTS's are nothing like either of those bikes so.............it needs a revolutionary redesign if they plan on keeping it around, imo.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
ducatizzy said:
The question was which line is going to be demised, not which individual bike.
Yeah, I realize that. Just that if you talk entire lines there really isn't much to talk about. The only other line worth dumping is the ST line. Not going to get ride of SBK due to racing. Not going to get rid of the Monster because it sells. Multi, Sport Classics, and Hypermotard are brand new lines. So it's a no brainer that the ST is going next.

I'm curious as to what they are going to do with the 749. Will it get the 1098 styling?

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
chopperbill said:
I think the st will go unless they put the same motor as the S4rs and update the bike. BMW seems to have a lock on upper end sport touring bikes. And Yamaha and NOW Kawasaki make some fine sport tourers.
BMW has a very impressive limeup of bikes across the board compared to, say, even a year ago. Sport 800s (aka the previous version of the Duc SS), F650 family, RXXXXR making over 100 hp - all in addition to their bread & butter sport tourers and adventure tourers...hmmm

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The ST is doomed after they use up all the 3 valve heads. They're going to market the MTS1100S to those that would previously have bought an ST. Too bad really, 'cause I really like the ST much better.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I voted ST, and I have one. Guess I'll keep this forever or buy a beemer. The Yamaha FJ may be good too

1 - 20 of 38 Posts