Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike,

have you ever welded anything on your 748 frame? I didn't know if the chrome moly alloy called for any special methods.

I've been trying to finish up my monster project by creating bolt-on solutions, but welding would be so much cleaner, and more structurally sound if done properly.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have not welded anything on the frame (yet) but I do have some thoughts. I will also dig up a URL (found it) to check out on this topic because it is interesting and important.

It centers around this...(http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/sportair/)

"Much of the argument against TIG welding steel have come from the gas welding camp, who are fond of breaking TIG joints welded with "official" 4130 rod. This high carbon rod is very brittle and prone to cracking when allowed to cool quickly, as most homebuilders would tend to do when welding thin-wall tubing. 4130 steel is normalized by a carefully controlled slow-cooling process during manufacture. So when you heat it up and let it cool at room temperature, it's very strong, but far more brittle. That's why milder steel rod is best for our thin-wall application. It's far better to have a slightly weaker joint than to have a brittle one with cracks in it!"

They are saying that you weld with mild steel rod so the joint isn't the most "brittle" part of your component.

If you want to weld something, I will gladly do it for you. I weld structural stuff all the time here at work for fixtures and even an overhead crane for example. I have fabbed my own motor mounts on a 400 HP S-10 Pickup. I am slo going to be welding some parts on a buddies bike he is working on this winter.

Just let me know.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good ole' mechanics of materials.... I knew I should have paid attention during that class.

thanks for the offer, I might have to take you up on it.

basically what I'm thinking about doing is an extreme tail chop for an S2R, and mounting a bobber style seat on in place of the stock part.

also might do something with the exhaust, just don't know what at this point.

what do you sell/do for your business? just curious.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Rebuild Electric Motors primarily. Higher end stuff though (mostly). Spindle motors, motorized spindles (there is a difference) and more. We do some light manufacturing but I do mean light at the moment. One can buy frameless motors from a manufacturer to integrate and 'motorize' a machine part. It eliminates the hassle of connecting a motor to machine and the packaging of the machine in general is so much nicer..less floorspace. Customers have us do that for them if they don't want to be so involved in that part of their machine.

Here is a very good example of that. http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/preparingtravel/human_centrifuge_08310.html

I consulted on this for two days and helped assemble the motor part of the unit.

Mostly, the work is more related to the 'rebuilding' part of my business.

·
Registered
346 Posts
When you do your frame is it like mine with a sub frame? I am actually building a jig to build the aluminum subframe. Then I'll have this sub frame carcass laying around for the rest of my life but I just want to do it straight and right.

You seem to be the same way.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome nasa stuff.
human centrifuge [laugh]

do you guys need any Mech. Engineers? I'm burnt out at my current job.

unfortunately, the monster frames don't have a separate subframe like the superbikes.
that's not the exact position of the seat that I'm looking for, but you get the general idea

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
b.h. said:
awesome nasa stuff.
human centrifuge [laugh]

do you guys need any Mech. Engineers? I'm burnt out at my current job.

unfortunately, the monster frames don't have a separate subframe like the superbikes.
that's not the exact position of the seat that I'm looking for, but you get the general idea
The NASA stuff was wayyy cool for me. Kid in a candy store sort of thing.

I will let you see the place first before you ask that question again! If we do some welding you'll see the place..

Your project...

This is simpler to me than my project since we would actively weld/build right on your bike. Just let me know and we'll hook for a Sat. sometime. If we did it here, we have access to a bunch of tools and stuff ;D. If I did it by you I would have to carry the big tank with me as well as the welder and then hook it up to power.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it shouldn't be a problem to bring it over to your shop. I'll let you know once I get all the details hammered out in my head. I don't want to cut off any more frame until I'm certain of how I want the seat to mount. once you chop that frame it takes a long time for it to grow back ;D

here's another pic with the seat roughly mocked up. these are the wheels that I want to use, but I'm only a 1/2 owner so we'll see ::)

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
I really like the idea. I want one!

I am wondering if we could make so you could do both as long as the provision to mount the stock seat can't be seen when we mount the new seat? Just a thought.

I really like the seat idea and those wheels.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
[thumbsup] It's cool!

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's an awesome look! I'm always a fan of the blacked-out look but I kinda like the gold wheels. They balance out the gold logo and yellow spring . [clap]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts