Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well they're now stateside has anyone tried them?

Seems they're proud of them too, $225 for a 180 rear.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I just put some on my bike. Comparing them to Pilot Roads, there is no comparison. Once they are hot they are amazing, I couldn't make them slide no matter what I did. I was throwing it into 90 degree corners, straight onto the peg at 120km/h with no fear which I would never try on the Roads. Seriously I love these tyres. I've never tried powers but I really don't think I need them.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
howley said:
I just put some on my bike. Comparing them to Pilot Roads, there is no comparison. Once they are hot they are amazing, I couldn't make them slide no matter what I did. I was throwing it into 90 degree corners, straight onto the peg at 120km/h with no fear which I would never try on the Roads. Seriously I love these tyres. I've never tried powers but I really don't think I need them.
Ditto.

I had to weather the recall and a screw up by the retards at the place I got them mounted (don't ever go to MC Tire Works on Sepulveda) After all that I seriously thought I'd never buy Michelin again as it was like two months from the time I pressed the "PAY" button until I finally got the tires on my bike. BUT, once I finally got them mounted and put in a couple rides, I have to somewhat bitterly admit that I'm in love with these tires. I've never felt such confidence, grip and feel with tires except for the opportunities I've had to ride bikes with full on race spec rubber. These tires are as close as you'll get to that with road going rubber. Worth every penny. Wow, they have gone up in price too...

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I changed from Pirelli Diablos (plain diablo, NOT the corsa) to the road 2 about 1000 miles ago. So far I love em. Still very neutral in turns, but seem to take less effort to change directions than the Pirellis. Only time I've gotten any movement out of them has been crap on the road; I have yet to have the tires do anything unexpected.

After 1k miles, I don't see any wear starting. I haven't ridden in the rain w/ them yet.

You can get them a bit cheaper at http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com//1/28/394/DEPT/Street-Bike-Sportbike-Tires-Tires.aspx?P=0&F=351

Pilot Road 2 Front Tire

Sale $128.99-135.99

Pilot Road 2 Rear Tire

Sale $158.99-200.99

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah, they're great tyres. They do have enough grip to be very satisfying and they wear brilliantly. I've ridden on Powers, and on even sticker things (e.g. BT002 tyres, and the Diablo Supercorsas); but they were all on different bikes and on bikes that I hardly commuted on. I killed the OEM BT014s in the middle pretty substantially after 7000km of commuting, and the front was pretty tired.

Road2's have so far been on for 4500km, and they've been great that whole time. A tyre that lasts and I can trust to turn as much as I ask it? Perfect. Very little wear showing on the tyre even after that amount of distance, and quite frankly, I've been riding in harder in worse stop-start since putting them on. Absolutely no change in profile due to squaring off, either, so yes, they're great all-round tyres.

They're trustable in the wet. I did get them to slide, but it was heaps of power around a roundabout in 2nd year, and leant over. The fact I trusted them enough to ask them to do that, and only had the back step out a touch, is probably enough proof of how nice they are.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
This is great......any body else have reviews???

I've been looking at these tires too and wondering if anybody's put them on...I commute and also need to have great tires for the weekend....so if you don't have to change them as often as reg Powers, to me that can justify a slightly higher cost.....

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Just put a set on my bike about 2 weeks ago. I really like them. They handle similar to pilot powers. We hit some twisties today and they performed wonderfully. We will have to see what the wear is like though as it is too early to say. They are a bit pricey but if they give the extra milage then I say its worth it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just started looking around to replace my rapidly fading rear (180) at about 4,500 miles. My reading tells me the difference between the Pilot Power (current) and the 2CT is just a second compound (softer) at the edges for better lean angle traction. I would assume the tire will probably wear about the same as Pilot Powers which for me tended to wear out in the middle. My search has shown most places selling the 180 rear for about $150-155. If anyone has better or more accurate information I would like to hear it before I make my choice.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
1fstfreride said:
Just started looking around to replace my rapidly fading rear (180) at about 4,500 miles. My reading tells me the difference between the Pilot Power (current) and the 2CT is just a second compound (softer) at the edges for better lean angle traction. I would assume the tire will probably wear about the same as Pilot Powers which for me tended to wear out in the middle. My search has shown most places selling the 180 rear for about $150-155. If anyone has better or more accurate information I would like to hear it before I make my choice.
I think you might be talking about about the Pilot Power 2CT.

This thread's about the Pilot Road 2CT.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Shooter said:
I think you maybe are confusing the Pilot Road 2s and the Pilot Road 2CTs.

They are quite different. and the 2CTs are far superior IMHO and I have them both.
Rameses said:
I think you might be talking about about the Pilot Power 2CT.

This thread's about the Pilot Road 2CT.
Is he talking about the Pilot Power 2CT, not the Pilot Road 2's? :p

·
Registered
385 Posts
howley said:
I'm talking about Pilot Road 2CT's.
I think we all are, but on the page linked to for the cheaper tyres, there are no Road 2s (/ Road 2CTs, depending on the market one is in). There are Power 2CTs, and there are the original Roads, but no Road 2s. Which is where the confusion comes in.

This thread is about the Road 2CTs, which imho and as I said before, are an excellent compromise for those of us who have to commute or otherwise slab it up and wear the guts out of a tyre.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You are right, my mistake, I was talking about the Pilot Power, sorry about the non-pert accidental thread-jack.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Its Michelins fault - could they have made it more confusing?

They bring out two tyres (four actually if you consider front/rear) in the space of a maybe two years and they name the things virtually the same!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Alright you guys have me all confused...

Per Michlens webpage:

Pilot Road² : The best balance tire
The ideal balance Independent tests confirm the Pilot Road 2 offers better wet grip and longer tread life than any of its competitors. How did Michelin incorporate these two contradictory traits in one tyre? MotoGP-derived 2CT technology makes it possible, using two distinct rubber compounds to achieve what was once thought impossible.

There is no mention of a Pilot Road 2ct tire just the PR2 tire (with 2ct technology).

I just got a road2 installed on my front tire to replace a road torn pilot power. I must say that the confidence that it provides is at lease on par with the pp front. I had it installed last week so I have not has much time to test it out, it has also not rained yet (will on Thursday and Friday). So I can't comment on the wet grip yet. All I can say is it's great to have a tire that is not worn down in the middle, makes all the difference in the world.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts