Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO which one is stickier? I need to buy new sport touring tires but can't decide.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I can't decide either, there are tooo many tires out there.

I want this from my tire:
1. good traction in wet & dry
2. gets good mileage
3. can do a few ( not real aggressive) track days
4. good price

Is there such a tire?? I was almost decided on the Michelin Pilot Sport, then I saw the Metzler Z6. I thought the Sports were cheaper than the Z6, but they are not, probably ~$ 50 more per set.

Oh , what to do, what to do?????? :p

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Are you sure they would be sticky enough for the track day?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just got the 170/60/17 rear and a 120/70/17 on my 620. Metzler Sporttech M1s. Great tires so far. Good traction.

V

·
0 Posts
Did you put the 16o tire on the std 4.5 wide rims?
If so, do you notice worse handling, does the tire actually look wider than a stock 160? Can you see the diff?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Are you sure they would be sticky enough for the track day?
Deb,
I've got a Pilot Sport on the back of my S4, only got a couple hundred miles on it, but I suspect it won't do much better or worse than the Diablo it replaced. Only got 3700 miles out of the Diablo.

Granted, my S4 uses the tire harder than your 620 will, but I suspect you want more miles than that out of the tire....

I strongly suspect that it's possible to drag hardware on a 620 with Pilot Roads. Should be fine for a track day.

S

·
0 Posts
I strongly suspect that it's possible to drag hardware on a 620 with Pilot Roads. Should be fine for a track day.
I'm slowly grinding down my pipes and the nub on my kickstand is about 2/3 gone...thats with a 160 pilot road in the back and a pilot sport in the front. I've got 4000 miles on the rear and it's a tiny bit square but nothing too bad. If I was doing a track day...pilot sports or see if the new pilot powers are out yet.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Z1s, Pilot Sports (Power) and Diablos are full on street performance tires.
The Z6 and Pilot Road are the lastest "sport touring tires". The Z6 or Pilot should be enough for MANY miles of great (wet or dry) road performance.

BUT which of the sport touring tires will be stickier in the dry??

Metzler are always more expensive than Dunlops, Avon or Michelins. Cost is not a concern.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts