Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This makes me real nervous....

am I screwd?

I've got 4200 miles on my '01 M900, this is my third oil change and first time the screen has been out.

sickly,
Steve

·
Registered
237 Posts
i dont know if thats considerd a lot, but after my 3k oil change i had maybe 3 or 4 of those flakes hanging around.

but i do know that my dealer cleaned the mesh at 600 miles so it could be normal if its never been touched.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Yeah, don't panic yet. That's a lot of swarf, but if the screen hasn't been pulled before it may not be a problem. When I pulled my screen for the second oil change 1500 miles after the first one I did (12K miles when I bought the bike) I found more pieces of gasket material/sealer from the valve covers than I would have ever believed that I let drop into the motor. And a few pieces of metal that have me worrying about the oil galley plug in the crank backing out. After soliciting inputs here on the board, I'm just waiting for the next oil change to check the screen again before I panic about the metal stuff.

In other words, if the screen has been in there the whole time, there will be a lot of stuff on it. It catches everything. Watch it for consistent evidence of ongoing damage over more than one oil change.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
mine didn't clear up untill 6K. i used to find the same swarf in BMW and Mercedes cartridge filters on the first service. i wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a cover below the oil level sight glass. On the 2000 and 2001 models, a 14mm allen wrench removes the outer cover. The the screen itsself is screwd in with another 14 allen.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am also about to clean my oil screen, but there appears to be some type of wire going into where you are supposed to loosen the oil filter bolt. What do I do with the wire or am I in the wrong place? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I believe the wire is connected to your oil temperature sensor. It clips on to the end. I managed to break the end off mine and had to file two small groves to reattach. Be cautious.. ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
wow, at 600 miles mine was totally spotless. I will be changing again at 2500 miles, then every 2500 after that. I'll be interested to see what it looks like at 2500.

M

·
0 Posts
mine was nasty after I had a clutch slave cylinder progressive-to-complete failure many miles from home....banging gears had its price....

changed my slave to an EVO, changed the oil and the screen has been clean ever since....the tranny is fine as well

I think a lot of swarf may come off the gears on new bikes depending upon and cleanly cut the teeth are....

who knows...

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
This thread is making me nervous. I've never looked at the screen and I bought the bike used with 4k miles and I've put 400 miles on it since. I think my 'warranty' is just about up on this bike too :-/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dealer did the first oil change, when I did the second I couldn't dig up the 14 mm hex key, was in a hury so I blew off checking the oil screen.

This time I found a shop that had an allen wrench. I chopped off the small end with the dremmel tool, stuck it in a 6 point 14mm socket and used a 1/2 inch breaker bar to bust the cover loose.

Taking the cover off released about another 50cc of used oil. Think I'll remove the screen on every oil change from now on.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mine looked like that, maybe even a little worse, but it was the first oil change (I think) after the 944 kit went in. I will check it again soon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What is the best recommended way to remove the oil temp sensor wire that attaches to the oil screen bolt? I really don't want to screw up the sensor when I check my oil screen? Thanks...

·
Registered
62 Posts
pull back rubber boot and it slides off.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Remove the temp sensor from the plug. I didn't and when the plug finially broke free the socket slipped and caught the end of the connecter. I've had mine out three times and basicly the only stuff i found was the first visit. Don't over torque on assembly the large threads make it easy to overtighten. ::) ::)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts