Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pouring in the correct amount of oil I checked the level. I noticed that if it's measured with the damper rod all the way down and then with the rod pulled all the way up, there is about a 12 mm difference.

Anyone know which way gives the best/correct working level? Since I've never seen instructions to pull the rod up, I set the level with the rod resting all the way down and spring out.

From the trivia dept: The old oil was about 8 mm lower than the new oil set to spec (spring in, rod down for comparisons - only way to check the original level without losing any by withdrawing the spring).

R

·
0 Posts
So what is your oil level spec?
it should be 110mm sprimgs out, fork collasped.
also you need to bleed the cartirdge properly by pumpimg the damper up and down until there is good damping in both directions,,,,,,,,
tech tip brought to you by Manley Cycle ;D

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the Haynes spec: 79.5 mm below the top of the tube with the fork collapsed and spring out. The manual notes that Ducati had recommended an extra 30 cc over the Showa amount of 457 cc.

I measured the old oil level before removing any just to give myself an edit check when I refilled them. I had to take the level after pulling the spring sleeve, but with the spring still in to avoid losing any of the oil out of the fork. I got 53 mm from the top. So i measured it that way again after refilling and putting only the spring in. It came out a few mm higher, but visually looked almost the same. The level is still safe from causing a hydraulic lock since it is a little below the top of the slider which means the slider would hit the rubber bumper before the fluid would lock and blow the seals out the bottom. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts