Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have a ducati tool to use with my micrometer to measure the closer shims on my desmoquattro S4 , any trick i can use without the ducati bit,

I already found 1 dud opener rocker in the horizontal head , a couple more that are slightly worn but not flaking, rear head still in the bench to check,

jerry

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
These guys have a tool as well:
http://www.emsduc.com/

But that won't help you right now....

If you know somebody with a lathe, they can make one.

I made one for myself that way, such that I could measure both openers and closers.

Unless your micrometer spindle is smaller than mine, it won't measure an opener shim *properly* either.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Get a piece of rod stock small enough to fit in the shim. Make sure its square on both ends. Measure it, insert into shim, measure rod and shim combo, subtract rod lenght and there you have it. Your shim thickness.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
A bit tough for ol Jerry fellas. Hes in Thailand or Singapore or some other Far East country like that. The round stock method will allow him immediate results while he orders a tool should he desire.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep i am in Thailand, I buy stuff from DT but have to get it sent to my Dad in UK and collect it when I visit, anything sent to here gets stolen in the post , especially if u use FEDEX.

jerry

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Somewhere in all my research on the subject, someone mentioned that a Kawasaki zx-10 shim (or something like that) works well. Maybe someone else knows the scoop on that.

After seeing the fancy hand held dial indicator fixture that our local tuner uses to measure shims I got the bright idea to clamp one of my dial indicator fixtures to the bed of my table saw to mimic how that thing worked. I just happened to have a tip that fit. It was easier to use than than my micrometer. It worked well.

My micrometer also fits down inside the closers, but is tedious to spin in and out compared to the dial indicator set-up.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Managed to get a 2.4mm Kawasaki shim today and it does the job perfectly.

thanks for all the help chaps.

jerry

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
jerryz said:
Managed to get a 2.4mm Kawasaki shim today and it does the job perfectly.

thanks for all the help chaps.

jerry
That's beautiful. Nice job finding a good work around. Nominating Elmer for a MacGyver award [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
reccomend u get a 3mm kawasaki shim , i changed mine today to the biggest they had 2.65mm to be sure of clearance of closer .

jerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts