Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let me know if I am crazy in thinking that the following situation wasn't premeditated.....

Less than an hour ago, me and two friends were around 3rd st and 6th ave, near town tavern, walking to hail a cab on 6th ave. We crossed Macdougal in a crowd of people when a rider (with female passenger) revved the throttle and forced his way through the intersection. There were no fewer than 15 people in the intersection when he revved and weaved through the intersection making a right hand turn. My friend said something that wasn't polite about the passenger as he forced his way through. The comment was about her rear, and is no worse than you would hear at a bar (almost a compliment, almost). I told my friend to keep walking as I saw the rider stop and get off the bike. The rider parked (passenger still on) and went after my friend.

This is where it gets crazy, the rider (wearing a jacket and an MC vest with "Brooklyn NY" says something to my friend as he takes his helmet off. (at least 30 people on the sidewalk around the bars). I walk over to my friend (less than 20 feet away) and out of nowhere, Two guy with the same "Brooklyn NY" MC vest come out of nowhere and shove my friend. My friend says he didn't do it, and the rider walks away before the other two follow.

This episode took less than 30 seconds. I think that the two guys that came out of nowhere were waiting in the bar at that exact corner and were looking to start something. The reason I believe this was premeditated is because:

1) As I watched the rider park, get off his bike and confront my friend, he still had his helmet on. The other two did not when they swarmed (less than 10 seconds apart). The rider also was wearing a full jacket while the other two were dressed like they were going drinking at a bar.
2) No one in their right mind would try to start a fight with a pedestrian on a crowded street in NYC without backup. (Knowing that the street is heavily patrolled by the NYPD)
3) The "reason" the rider confronted my friend was because he thought he threw something at him. Call me crazy, but you would feel/see something being thrown on you if you were making a right turn (from standstill) and the offending person was on your right hand side (with passenger behind you).
4) There was no car that passed in front of us before the MC so I don't believe the two other members were just "riding" along.

It's possible that the rider was meeting up with his friends at a bar, but something about the whole situation seems like it was pre-meditated.

Not that it matters, but the rider was on a Hondakawasuzuki something or other.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Perhaps, the rider in your situation, thought your friend threw something at him. If he was saying something about the rider's girl and saw your friend with his arm out, perhaps pointing at her ass?
Which might look like someone throwing something.
Obviously he was standing there saying whatever he said for a while, because you commented that you had to move your friend to keep walking. Which can look like an invitation for a fight.

New York Newbie 2005 said:
1) As I watched the rider park, get off his bike and confront my friend, he still had his helmet on. The other two did not when they swarmed (less than 10 seconds apart). The rider also was wearing a full jacket while the other two were dressed like they were going drinking at a bar.
perhaps they were all in the bar close by, and the rider had just left with his female passenger?

2) No one in their right mind would try to start a fight with a pedestrian on a crowded street in NYC without backup. (Knowing that the street is heavily patrolled by the NYPD)
Your not from NYC are you?
Anyone in NYC knows, NONE of them would come help your friend if your friend started trouble , people walking around the street scatter like roaches when **** goes down. SO I don't think the fact that there was a big crowd of people that your friend may have thought he was hiding in was a factor.

3) The "reason" the rider confronted my friend was because he thought he threw something at him. Call me crazy, but you would feel/see something being thrown on you if you were making a right turn (from standstill) and the offending person was on your right hand side (with passenger behind you).
just because someone may throw something AT you, doesnt mean it always hits you.

Recently a co-worker of mine was down in the village with his girlfriend. He was warming up his bike (a Harley sportster) when a group of guys (with their girlfriends) shouted to him to shut it off because it was so loud. The guys then cowards they were, hailed a cab, then threw a glass bottle at my friend which hit the car behind his bike. By the time my friend grabbed the broken bottle and jumped on the car hood, the little group jumped in the cab and were off.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Think Id tell my "friend" to put a sock in it before he gets you kilt! My humble $.02.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Hhmmm, if I were in a biker gang, I seriously doubt I'd be hanging out in the West Village. Unless of course my gang was made up of NYU studends and tourists, cause as we all know, there's nothing harder than Mom and Pop Kettle from the midwest and Poindexter from the math club. [laugh]

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe they were hanging out in the village to beef up their street credibility by picking on NYU kids [laugh].
Whether or not this happened with an MC gang or a pack of frat boys, I've always thought the group mentality thing was wacky. This just reinforces a bad stereotype and has made me a little jaded towards MC clubs. What a bunch of jackasses.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
What a bunch of jackasses.
True, but there's also another side of the coin. Maybe the other 2 guys saw 2 pedestrians talking to a motorcycle dude and came out to lend a hand if it were needed.

From what I've noticed so far, bike people look out for each other and are always ready and willing to give a helping hand whether they know them or not, regardless of what kind of bike it is, or whether the problem is mechanical or otherwise. Just think of how many times you wave at another rider or another rider throws you a wave on any given ride, at least 100 times.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
MC clubs are ghey IMO, that doesn't mean the people in them are but I'd suggest my friend watch his mouth next time if I were you. ;)

·
Registered
760 Posts
EvilSteve said:
but I'd suggest my friend watch his mouth next time if I were you. ;)
+2

Or hang out with some other peeps

I think an important piece of this (from what I've read of your side of this story) is getting missed. YOU need to expect to be held accountable for what you or (unfortunately) your buddies say/do. Be man enough to do that and if you ****ed up, apologize and hopefully just go along without any more issue.

If you can't do that you will more often than not be "surprised" by someone's actions...

If what you describe happened to me (trust me when I say "it won't"), I'd feel damn lucky nothing else happened. And I'd make damn sure it never happened again.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"True, but there's also another side of the coin. Maybe the other 2 guys saw 2 pedestrians talking to a motorcycle dude and came out to lend a hand if it were needed. "

I'm all about the sticking up for each other as riders, but these guys were out for one thing. Nothing in the way they approached the situation suggested they were looking to "talk" and they were not just strangers,they were all apart of the same group.

I know my friend wouldn't say anything that stupid so as to receive a whupping he didn't deserve, but if he did say something so egregious, I wouldn't stop the whupping until it got serious, you reap what you sow. That being said, if someone is going to blow their fuse over something so trivial, I wouldn't hesitate to step in.

Thanks for you thoughts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
hmmmmm...

My friend said something that wasn't polite about the passenger as he forced his way through. The comment was about her rear, and is no worse than you would hear at a bar (almost a compliment, almost).
In short, your friend insulted someone and her friend stepped in. The fact that two other people, who appeared to be with the person that confronted your friend, joined the rider is beyond the issue, IMO. To say it was premeditated is a bit skewed since it was your friend that initiated the encounter.

I am not justifying their actions, but it appears to me, that your friend was also looking for something to happen. Since the 3 of you were together, it might have appeared to the other "Brooklyn NY" guys that you (and friends) were "ganging" up on the lone rider. This might seem very different to you since your intentions were not to cause any trouble, but from an outsiders perspective ("Brooklyn NY" guys) it could appear very different.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
You should have kicked your friends arse.....a beating from you is undoubtedly better than a beating from 3 [[[Motorcycle Gang]]] members. Just dont pour Tabasco sauce in his eyes....sorry bad "Kingpin" movie reference....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts