Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here with a 900ie done this? I think I'm going to but can't decide which way I wanna go, if i wanna stop messing with this bike and just keep enjoying it, and get another bike to mess with, or if I wanna keep messing with this one. If you've done this, I'd like to know about the whole transaction up until and including your initial thoughts after riding with the new heads.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm in the process of crating my 00 M900Sie motor and sending it off to MBP for a full 966 upgrade. Obviously, I can't give any input into how the bike rides before vs after the big bore treatment, but if you're really interested in the upgrade I'd recommend you call Guy Martin of MBP at 514-694-9695. He'll answer any questions you may have.

If we get a decent, ice-free day in the new year I'll post an initial ride report. The upgrade is supposed to take MBP about 3 weeks.
>:D

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Markus said:
I'm in the process of crating my 00 M900Sie motor and sending it off to MBP for a full 966 upgrade. Obviously, I can't give any input into how the bike rides before vs after the big bore treatment, but if you're really interested in the upgrade I'd recommend you call Guy Martin of MBP at 514-694-9695. He'll answer any questions you may have.

If we get a decent, ice-free day in the new year I'll post an initial ride report. The upgrade is supposed to take MBP about 3 weeks.
>:D
chris at ca-cycleworks is also familiar with this.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
derby said:
chris at ca-cycleworks is also familiar with this.
Markus is in Canada already, so the whole border issue is null for him. BTW Great choice Markus [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm fully aware how to talk to the people that sell them and don't doubt what they have to say, however I'm more interested in customers opinons at this point.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
ducman851 said:
Markus is in Canada already, so the whole border issue is null for him. BTW Great choice Markus [thumbsup]
i meant that chris 'splain what it rides like. ;D

Justin Sain said:
I'm fully aware how to talk to the people that sell them and don't doubt what they have to say, however I'm more interested in customers opinons at this point.
yeah, but chris actually has 'em install in one of this bikes, so he's still a good person to talk to. [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
ducman851 said:
Thanks! I considered doing a 944 upgrade this winter (I'd do the work myself) and was about ready to pull the trigger on the bits and pieces when I started researching the 966 route. After speaking with MBP and comparing specs and prices i decided I only wanted to do a motor upgrade once so I'd better shell out for it now.

You're right about me living in Canada... it's easy for me to ship my motor to MBP to do the install. I want the setup done right.

Justin Sain - you should really call Guy Martin as there are qualities of the 900ie motors that make it a good candidate for upgrade. The FI 900 already has the appropriate cam, it's fuel injected so there's no need to buy FCR carbs and the ECU can be reflashed rather than requiring a replacement. Overall cost saving is significant.

I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with 100HP and 10,500 redline.
[thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll call them eventually, I like to have cash in hand and be ready to commit before I call people. If I do this, it'll be later in the winter. Thanks for the responses. Not sure what the ZING was but that's ok....

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Justin Sain said:
I'll call them eventually, I like to have cash in hand and be ready to commit before I call people. If I do this, it'll be later in the winter. Thanks for the responses. Not sure what the ZING was but that's ok....
it's a pretty ****in' motor.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahh, I'm used to "zing" meaning "burn" or something like what you said should've embarrassed me or something. haha

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Justin Sain said:
ahh, I'm used to "zing" meaning "burn" or something like what you said should've embarrassed me or something. haha
i probably shoulda said "shwing!" but i'd been sayin' zing all day, so what the hell. ;D

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
OKAY....silly dumb question.....944 vs 966 for a 900ie plant....positives and negatives of each and why?....I haven't done much looking into this yet...but with 21K on my motor in stock form thus far....was thinking of pushing it through next season into the 30k+ range and then sink the big bore into it and have the whole motor pretty much freshend up top to bottom....so this is me asking in regards to the future for sure!

·
Registered
752 Posts
My M900Sie (2001) has 88hp and 88Nm torque (backwheel)
Heads have been done by Den Biggelaar (netherlands 40 year ducati dealer) costs about 550$
I have bought an other ECU at sparshacks for about 120$
Light flywheel ,2 in 1 Sil fullsystem ,K&N filter
It's running very very good now redline is at about 9600 revs and the torque line is very flat
Between 4000 and 7000 revs it is above 85Nm
I am also thinking about the 944kit but my dealer doesn't like the high compression that comes with it
I have heard that the extra power mainly comes from the high compression pistons and no from the extra 44 cc's

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
zooom said:
OKAY....silly dumb question.....944 vs 966 for a 900ie plant.
On back to back comparable builds (albeit on different engines), the 966 inexplicably makes 4 or 5 hp more than 944. We've seen this a couple times. Guy and I talked about it for an hour or two one night and we can only say that there is a subtle aspect of combustion chamber design that the 95mm pistons maximize. We did stumble upon this a little by accident and the mod works well when underneath Guy's heads. It also appears that "IE" cams are worth about 5hp over 900 carby cams when in Guy's heads.

Yeah, a 410 pound monster with 916 hp pushing 999 torque? Yup, it's entertaining to go from 65 to 85 mph, entirely skipping the 70s.

I wasn't going to pipe up but I thought I'd answer the 944 v 966 question with what I (do and don't) know.

;D Chris

·
Registered
236 Posts
To put another piece of info into the pot, I've got a stock carby engine, equipped with a 966 kit. So pistons and that it. I'm currently in the process of doing the jetting. When I get some free time I'll finish that up. Then I need to get it dyno'd to get a real idea what the effects of good jetting and the 966 kit are.

Install wasn't too bad. The real ball buster was setting the squish to maximize the compression.

If you are thinking about pulling apart your engine - just do a 966. The cylinder work doesn't take too long so those come back pretty quickly. With all the parts in one place it took me a couple nights to do the upgrade. Jetting it a whole other problem though since I suck with carbs... hehe.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chris said:
Yeah, a 410 pound monster with 916 hp pushing 999 torque? Yup, it's entertaining to go from 65 to 85 mph, entirely skipping the 70s.
NICE!, That's the type of stuff I was looki'n for!

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts