Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe moving to The Bay (San Mateo - Redwood City) - need impressions on lifestyle. Is there anyone here that lives/works in the SF area?

I am also wondering about traffic & LANE SPLITIING. I heard it was legal. How is it done safely?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Re: Maybe moving to SF Bay .

I was born and raised in the Bay Area and love it here.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts

it's much better than waiting in traffic. the worst part of it is how rough most of the freeways are, especially on seams in between lanes. as a rule it's fine though.
personally not a big fan of san mateo myself but only been there for a couple days.

H

·
0 Posts
Re: Maybe moving to SF Bay . How is lanesplittin

Anyone knows if it's legal in MA??

·
Registered
906 Posts

Bay Area is great. Lane splitting is done with great care everyday.

·
Registered
355 Posts

How is lane splitting?,one word "mandatory" but it makes traffic acceptable.If your coming from freeways without botts dots or lane reflectors,they are a little bumpy,but easy to ignore..I always try to pass traffic when there is no open space for them to pull into,when possible.This keeps you a little safer,most of the time drivers will see a car next to them and not move over.Remember to look in the rearview before you pull into a lane between traffic,there will probably be another bike coming,some ride a little faster than others.Oh yeah,bikes are allowed in all car pool lanes,and during car pool hours,are toll free on the bridges,this is not marked well at all ,but very legal
Recently,a moto mag picked the SF Bay area as the

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Re: Maybe moving to SF Bay . How is lanesplitting

I think the San Francisco Bay Area is a great place to live. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather live and work. (If I didn't have to work, Maui might be nicer.)

As for the comment by "hide", California is the only state where lane splitting is legal, so forget it in MA.

It takes a while to learn how to lane split safely. Sometimes it helps to get behind another bike that is splitting and see how they do it. When I first started, I would do that and occasionally the rider would pull over to wave me by. I had to indicate that I wanted them to continue in front. Riding behind another bike often spreads the cars a little for you.

Here are a few links on the subject of lane splittng that might be useful:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73416
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69767
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48857

·
Registered
355 Posts

The ONLY state it is legal?no wonder people were throwing sh*t at me and cursing as I filtered through a 26 mile backup heading into Denver last year, >:D anyone ever hear of lanesplitters amnesty?

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Re: Maybe moving to SF Bay . How is lanesplittin

You'll also find that certain streets in SF are pretty wide which makes splitting easy, while others are pretty tight. You just have to use judgement. Oh, and folding bar end mirrors are helpful for those really tight squeezes. On the freeways there's plenty of room.

Mostly the thing about the bay area is how great the (non-commute) riding is. This site:
http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm
should give you some idea.

A

·
0 Posts

I've recently moved back to San Diego and lane-split most every day, but I try to do it in a way that seems safe to me - I only do it when cars are stopped or are moving slowly and tightly-packed together so that there aren't any gaps to allow a lane change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts