Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a tach for my '95 M900 and I have a choice between a 12'000 rpm tach and a 9'000 rpm tach. Which one should I go with? :)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Welllll, "redline" on the SS is 9000, but occasional forays to 10,000 are not considered life threatening. I think i'd get the 12. And that's what the aftermarket tach I bought has.

:) Chris

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have a 94 with a tach that goes to 12000 and redlines at 9000. Seems to keep you in the powerband right in the middle of the rpm range.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
;DThanks for the info. guys. This is my first experience with a Ducati and I just wasn't getting much from the Speedometer.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I'd suggest you take your bike to a shop that has a dynamometer and find out at where your bike starts to lose horsepower or torque. On my '97 M900, both torque and horsepower begin dropping off at just under 8k rpm, so there's no real need to rev the engine past 8k. If my bike didn't already have a tachometer and I was shopping for one, I'd opt for the 9k model--the righthand side of the 12k tach that the PO of my bike installed is wasted space and doesn't even score any poseur points.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sorry, I was wrong, my tach goes to 10500 and redlines at 8500, dont know why I though it went to 12 but after the ride to work this morning I noticed I was wrong.
It was an after market one that uses LED lights in a semi circle, not sure who made it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts