Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my M800 for about a year know, I found myself racking up the miles fairly quickly.
I know that Harley's and BMW's are known for their mechanical longevity, but never heard anything from Ducati.
I'm kind of curious as to how many miles you can expect out of a well taken care of desmo engine before it would need major work?
20K, 30K, 50K? more??
Any good stories out there?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I think the rider's name is Rachel, but you can check her website at www.tigerracing.com

She's got somethinge like 60,000 miles on her personal Monster. She's also ridden the Iron Butt rally on another Monster provided by Ducati for the event.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Actually yes, HD's will routinely go to at the very least 75k to 80k, then a cheap rebuild and they are on the road again. Something to be said for being simple as a rock.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
My '94 M900 is at about 22k and rockin'. ;D

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I think the rider's name is Rachel, but you can check her website at www.tigerracing.com

She's got somethinge like 60,000 miles on her personal Monster. She's also ridden the Iron Butt rally on another Monster provided by Ducati for the event.

that link goes to an English repli-racing site.

I've got 36K on my 2000 750.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I get 100 miles on a tank on 748 before light comes on, about 130 on M900 with FCR 41mm's and almost 50 on wife's M620. Got 45 mpg on 900ss and went down 1mpg after installing Keihin's. Problem is Monster tank is hard to get full due to length of filler neck and you have to visit gas stations with slow flows, especially on newer monsters. Idiot light is exactly that, use tripmeter as the lights are not consistent.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys... I guess I have many miles to look forward to until I hit 120K. :p Who knew??
something's telling me that the previous post was supposed to be in a different thread.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
really depends on a few things.....your type of riding (hwy vs. stop-go vs. twisties), how hard you ride the motor, the fuel you use and the state of tune the engine is in,

and probably most important....how often you change your oil.

oil and oil quality are pretty much key to longevity, the more frequently you change it, the more likely the engine will have reduced friction on metal-to-metal surfaces and consequently it will wear less.

the other stress on metal-to-metal surfaces is resultant from the amount of load you put on the drive train. If you are a g-force junky at each stop light, the work involved for the motor to overcome inertia will cause increased parts wear....also lugging the motor will have the same effect of stressing the entire system

I have seen postings on other boards over the years where people were closing in on 100k miles without major overhaul work on Ducs....they were tourers and total maintenance freaks...not hooligans...and as above S4 Newbie has logged 120k

In essence it is the rider that makes the determination as to how far he or she wishes to go in managing the machinery in order to see how far the bike will go

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Actually yes, HD's will routinely go to at the very least 75k to 80k, then a cheap rebuild and they are on the road again. Something to be said for being simple as a rock.
My brothers '96 badboy needed work by 25,000... but maybe that is just one poor example?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol//////its all about maintenance and taking care of your Duc !!! granted, I change my oil every 2500 miles and pamper it alot, no issues with the engine or tranny...although I do need to tune my fuel iar to my new exhaust. :)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[smiley=applause.gif] 120,000 miles on a 3 year old bike! Damn you are a rider! Hell I thought I was doing good at 14K per year on my Goldwing. WAY TO GO S4_newbie![smiley=applause.gif]

·
Registered
221 Posts
S-4..you are kidding right? 120k is way out there. I would love to see ANY bike odometer at 120k.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well...its been getting expensive....let me tell you...with all you guy's input, I'm hoping I can learn to do my own maintenance. I posted a request for a how to install spark plugs in the accessories section by mistake (should have gone in this forum), but if anyone would be as so kind to help me out, I would appreciate it !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts