Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in to see my tank today and it's looking really awesome. One thing struck me however, the finish was REALLY REALLY matte. I got it painted the matte titanium color the 748s and ST4 are painted in. BOTH of those bikes have a bit of a "sheen" to them that my tank didn't have. They hadn't put the stickers on the tank yet and I'm thinking that could be it.

I heard somwhere that you "wax" the matte finishes to give them just a little hint of shine.

Does anyone here have any information about this? I don't mind it being REALLY matte, but it'd be cool if it looked like the other bikes painted that color.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I talked to the guy who does all my custom painting. He said that a mid-coat clear is used on these. The monster finish uses a semi-metallic paint, with the mid coat clear over it. The painter will put the stickers on and then clear over it, then polish it out, to remove any imperfections. Only then does the gloss or final finish come through. I would express my concerns with the painter. Have not looked at any ST4 finishes so I do not know what they entail, although I suspect a similar method is used.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
We have a local painter called Custom Classic Paint Works, that has been very succesfull in matching the titanium finish to a tee.. We just got back a ST fairing he repaired that only need a section repainted and he feathered it in perfect ! Give Russ a call he can surely offer some advice..
[email protected]
425-775-9277

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm..see now i'm scared because I DOUBT it's being sent BACK to the painter after the stickers are applied. DAmnit...is nothing EASY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts