Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this logicl work??

I am thinking about running Dunlop 208s, 208GP (race) in the FRONT and 208ZR (street) in the rear for optimum performance. Also, it would be nice to have BOTH tire wear out at the same time and have the front stick better.
I ride aggressive street and a track day or 2 per year.

Any issues?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Re: Matching tires?

If your logic were valid, why wouldn't Dunlop offer a set like that?

I suspect you'd have one hella scary ride in the wet with the GP tire in front. You'd have good stick in the back and a tire in front that wants to tuck under :eek:

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Some of us don't ever ride in the wet, so wet behavior is not a concern.

It is generally considered a good idea, if you don't go with matching tires, to put one with more stick on the front. That's one reason the BT-010 front/BT-020 rear combination is so popular.

It's tough to get both tires to wear out at exactly the same time, but I'm sort of aiming for that as well with my Bridgestones.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

Some of us don't ever ride in the wet, so wet behavior is not a concern.
... some of us are pu$$ies.... ;D

I don't ever plan to ride in the rain, but if I insisted on being 100% certain before going out, I'd cut my already short riding season by another 25%!

M

·
0 Posts

i assume you have ridden these tires before? are you sure they will warm up at about the same time? not matching front to rear works but the tires need to have some things in common. if you are riding more track than road and wet weather isnt an issue, go for it. if you plan on riding in the 40-50f on the street, i dont think that would be fun. i tried something similar with a pilot sport front and a pilot road rear. the problem was when riding below 60f the rear was way warmer than the front and if it happened to get wet, the rear was hooked up and ready to go but the front wanted to go away! now i just run pilot roads front and rear. obviously this bike doesnt go to the track, but gets plenty of year-round mileage. cheers.
mike

D

·
0 Posts

I always end up with mis matched tires. Now I am running a Michelin Pilot Sport in the front and a Pirelli Scorpion in the rear. I had a major flat and the closest shop only had the Scorpion that fit. Charged me $250. Assholes.

But, I have yet to have a problem. I have also mixed D207/D208, and D208 front/ MPS rear without problems, wet and dry.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts

I was always told , or under the impression that they should match? Oh Well live and learn.....

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
tire manufacturers design the tires (front/rear) to be installed together. it's not bad to mis-match but it's always recommended to match at least the brand.

You might want to read up on the "warm up" period, or how long it takes for a certain model/brand to warm up. Also, tire profile is different among different tires. Some tires offer a radical "drop in" on turns, others have a slower but smoother transition. Match it according to what you're wanting in performance.

that way, you'll feel better about mis-matching the front/rear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts