Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope that is spelled right-----just bought 1998 750 monster-------read on the net that it has these front forks and they could not be adjusted(thats ok they work fine) rebuilt (i assume upgraded)--Who cares they work fine or repaired(i assume leaky seals) --now that would be a problem>----------Would one of you Gurus please enlighten me on 750 monster front forks-----TIA kingfish

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Re: MARZOCCHI

(Im not a guru, but...)
The Marzocchi's are non-adjustable and the only rebuilds you can do are changing springs and oil (no gold valves)
dont sweat it....just ride it, they may suit your weight and riding style fine.
if you get the itch to upgrade, you can replace them with forks from a <2000 M900 or 900SS with adjustable Showas.
or, if you wanna go crazy, you drop Superbike forks in there, along with new triples, calipers, clipons and fender.

G

·

No guru either, but bascially, there are damper rod forks, and cartridge forks. Damper rod forks generally have no adjustment capabilities, but could have adjustable pre-load. Damper rod forks damp through fixed orifices, which ends up with poor low speed damping and too much high speed damping. So you end up with excessive dive and harsh hi-speed handling.
Trying to modify these forks might improve diving but make the fast rebound even harsher, and vice versa. In other words one affects the other.
Cartridge forks generally use a piston and shims that bend. The shim stack is deflected by oil and at higher velocity bend even more, which handles low and high velocity damping much better then the damper rod forks. Also it is possible to modify the shim stack to say alter the high speed damping with out adversely affecting the low speed damping.
Plus there are after market valves that can improve the forks also.
I don't know to much about the Marzzochi's, but I believe the older Monsters had the damper rod style. I am not sure if the newer Marzzochi equipped monsters are cartridge forks. If they have damping adjustments I would assume they are cartridge forks. Have no idea exactly what years and or models are Marzzochi equipped and may or may not have damper rod forks.
I think Race-Tech also has a cartridge emulator for damper rod forks. Not sure how it works and how well it works.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

hey, just think about it this way .... marzocchi is
italian. showa is owned by h*nda. even ohlins is
owned by [email protected]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I am used to running sportbikes and the Marzocchi forks on my duc performs fine---I would not see any need to "upgrade" until i was competing against Foggy!!-------MY maine question is---If the seals start leaking ,can they be replaced or do you simply throw the forks out.------kingfish

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

Marzocchi forks are serviceable enough to change seals. The cartridge is stuck to the lower, though, so no revalving or "rebuilding". For a street going monster, these may be considered adequate. Anyplace that you "read this on the Net" should also have said that the seals can be replaced, but that's about it. Springs and oil are all you can change for "tuning".

:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks Gang!!!!! I have been clued on Marzocchi forks. I appreciate everyone response. the kingfish

G

·
hey chris...

so whats the last word in performance for the monster?

I've got the crappy factory forks and shock. I'm condsidering ohlins on the rear but whats the best option for the front. I do not want clipons since i prefer my current setup.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts

All upside down forks are cartridge forks. It should be possible to also set preload with spacers on the Marzocchi's.

Also some 750 actually got the Showa forks. Marzochhi's have a big hex cap, while Showa should also have a logo on the inside of the brake caliper mount.

G

·

All upside down forks are cartridge forks. It should be possible to also set preload with spacers on the Marzocchi's.
Good to know, I've been told that some of the older OEM

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

hey chris... so whats the last word in performance for the monster?
For me? It is not race bike and I don't care about "gee wow" factor, so stock stuff works. I took apart my M900's non-adj Showa's to replace seals and didn't arse with gold valves. With stock footrests, I drag feet long before the suspension gets pushed.

Now, later on this year, I may be tempted to run the Pongilator in BoTT MW. If I do that, SBK forks are more of a priority and I've got a set S&P rearsets on the shelf.

Ohlins, to me, is a brand label, like a termi sticker. I rebuilt an Ohlins shock and don't really care for the experience. I'd be happy with a garden variety Showa with gold valve in it.

Now, that's my two cents from functional sense. If you feel special because of high zoot parts on your bike (and none of us are immune to that) then that's different case.

:) Chris

G

·

generally we run 0.8 springs in them for average weight dudes like me of 85kg or so with 30mm preload and 10 weight oil. normally we use racetech springs, but i dunno what the number is. works pretty well for what they are. stops the diving under brakes, that sort of thing. servicing is just like any other fork, replacing seals is very easy. chrome tends to be crap tho.

and they are crap, but better than the m1r crap my 851 has. you just have to have them apart to believe the stiction.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

Springs and oil are all you can change for "tuning".
Well, springs, oil (weight and volume), and preload (with spacers)...

That does give you _most_ of what adjustable forks have (you cant separate out the compression and rebound damping, you vary both simultanously by adjusting the oil weight), but it is quite a lot less easy than just tweaking the adjusters...

big

·
Registered
829 Posts
I believe the 03 620's are non-adjustable Showas like the M800. Check this link:

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/tech.jhtml

Ducati has not updated the info because they are all working really hard trying to build all the goodies thay have listed in their catalog.

You may be able to purchase a DP preload adjuster which is listed in a catalog but appears to be non-existent in reality. You may also play with springs for your weight, fluids to tame compression and Race Tech valves to tame the rebound. Race Tech makes aftermarket valves but the last time I checked they do not have anything listed for our Showas. If you want to have them, you are going to have to believe that our 43mm will be just like the M750/900.

Don't just take my word for it but if you have the suspension sorted out for you, you wont miss the adjustment features unless you change your riding conditions. My Yammie has more clickable adjustments than I care to admit. It is set up for a short dirt track and I can't remember the last time I touch them. I do adjust the steering damper, mostly to compensate as I get tired.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

Chris,

Does my 2003 m620ie have MARZOCCHI 43mm forks and are they beyond adjusting?
I don't know if your bike has Marzocchi forks or not because I have not seen it. No, it probably should not have adjusters. Only top of the line 'S' models do. (and maybe not even then!)

G

·

Is there a fork cap nut size indication for Marzocchis?
Not sure if they all do, but on my stock non adj.Showa's; "showa" is cast on the bottom just above the axle, and below the ring for the fender.
My cap nut appears to be 17mm if that is an indicator.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts