Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a phone call from my local shop saying a washer fell out of the horizontal cylinder head.... I was like wait, WHAT? My bike is in the shop getting its 6,000 mi service. My shop guy said it's not the first time he has seen this happen. Sometimes parts fall inside our engines at the factory and no one catches it.... He has not seen anything that big come out though.

And some more good news,valve guides are shot and some minor leaks here and there that will hopefully be fixed by replacing some seals. :(

More labor $$$$

This is the first time anyone has really dug into the engine. 600 and 3,000 mi service is not as intense im told.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
So I got a phone call from my local shop saying a washer fell out of the horizontal cylinder head.... I was like wait, WHAT? My bike is in the shop getting its 6,000 mi service. My shop guy said it's not the first time he has seen this happen. Sometimes parts fall inside our engines at the factory and no one catches it.... He has not seen anything that big come out though.

And some more good news,valve guides are shot and some minor leaks here and there that will hopefully be fixed by replacing some seals. :(

More labor $$$$

This is the first time anyone has really dug into the engine. 600 and 3,000 mi service is not as intense im told.

Thoughts?
What year / model and is it still under warranty? Hard to believe the valve guides are shot at 6K miles. What kind of exhaust on it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
07 s2r1k, ill have to double check the warranty. im not surprised about the valve guides. ive heard of bikes with less miles than mine being messed up. still, im kind of a noob with this stuff.

stock exhaust.

ill admit i ride it pretty hard but not abusive.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
what is the cost estimate for the valve guide replacements? do they go with 'upgraded' bits now that r longer lasting?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the replacements will last a lot longer thn the stock.

getting done:
6000 mi service with new belts, chain, and all the other goodies that it involves. new valve guides and he used the phrase new top end something or other. installing new tires that i took him. There are some other things im sure i forgot. he tracked down a couple leaks for me.

Its getting expensive. i dont know the exact number for the valve guides cuz im getting more work done. prolly wont know til i get my copy of the paperwork. should have my bike back late next week. Lame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts