Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a ride up tho the Malibu roads EARLy on Sunday morning. I started by going up Latigo, but it was foggy, REALLY foggy and it was misserable most of the way up. Even with that, I don't think I dig that road to much. It seems that the speeds at which I take most of the turns is a speed at which I'm not very comfortable turning the bike. Is LATIGO slow? It seems like I am most UNCOMFORTABLE on my bike turning while going under 20 mph, and the turns on Latigo are sharp it seems. A side note is that I'm simply not able to commit to corner entry speeds when I can't see all the way through the corner, I guess if I ride the same roads enough I will learn them better. On the way back down I hit Encinal, which was a nice ride, but that road is not really twisty enough, unless you were going over 100 it seems.

What roads do you guys recomend up there, not as tight as Latigo, but more twisty than Encinal?

For the record, after you got above the fog (which was causing visablility to be about 20 feet, in addition to getting my visor all wet) the weather was awesome, and the roads were more or less clean clean clean. Quite a few bikes up at the ROCK STORE, even 1 Monster besides mine. Also saw 2 new R1's I guess they are selling well already!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I like the tight turns it gives you a chance to really power out of a turn like V twins are known for.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to try that next time I go out, makes total sense. I've been getting the balls of my feet on the pegs a lot more and it DOES help my ability to "move around" on the bike.

G

·
I have nothing to contribute as to which roads ( except down here ;D) but I would like to start a conversation regarding foot placement. Shall I hijack this thread or would someone like to start another?

G

·
but I would like to start a conversation regarding foot placement. Shall I hijack this thread or would someone like to start another?
Check out my "Need some Guidence" thread, we have gone over some of the foot placement issues. What I've started to do is to just ride with my normal, relaxed "heel on footpeg" position when I'm in between corners or just riding along, but when I come to a corner and I'm fairly confident I'm in the right gear and that I don't need the rear brake ( if it's a right-hander), then I move the ball (toes) of my foot to over the peg. I try to get the toes as far back as possible, while still being able to put pressure on the peg. I found that if you practice this footwork in every corner , need it or not, that it helps it become automatic, and one less thing to worry about.

You should grab a good riding-skills book for pro-guidence. I saw one at Barnes and Not-so-Nobles that was good. It had a guy riding a 999 on the cover and was written by a ex-Sport Rider writer.

Also pick look at moto-mags for their foot position, the fast guys give some clues for us mortals.

G

·
Looks like I'm a highjacker Sorry Fleetatzmonster. I rode on Sat an tried keeping my feet planted on the pegs during corners. I felt a bit more control when my arch was right over the peg ( I have stock pegs ) My normal style was to ride with my balls ( don't even go there! ) on the pegs and to press hard in corners. I dunno? Maybe there is no right answer.

G

·
The problem with riding on your arches, esecially with a litmited ground clearance monster is catching your toes and getting your feet dragged under your pegs. People weight different pegs, but I would put the effort, or attention into steering.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed that using the balls of my feet v.s. my arch also allowed me to use my lower leg to push my knees into the tank which in turn aleviates me "leaning" on my hands which is a real bad way to ride.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I used to ride arch-over the peg until one day I caught my toe. I started to ride ball-over and it took about a week to get used to it. I almost never use my rear brake anyway, and I feel like I integrate with the bike better.

I also bought some real boots after that incident...

·
Registered
796 Posts
I very rarely use the rear brake when riding hard. I keep my weight on my pegs on the balls of my feet. I feel like I can react much quicker when up out of the seat on my toes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts