Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried their hand at making a set of minimally adjustable rearsets? I know what's out on the market and -- though I don't begrudge folks making a living -- I can't personally spend that kind of money on parts of that nature.

Seems to me it wouldn't be THAT hard to machine a set of one-off rearsets built to my own specs. I don't mind investing my time in projects like this just for the fun of it. Anyone got tips or suggestions?
Din

S

·
0 Posts
i'd say make a first version of non-adjustable rearsets. this'll give you an idea of dimmensions and complexity of the part. if you dig them, why bother adjusting them? if they're pretty cool but you see room for improvement and HOW to improve them doesn't look incredibly complicated, SELL them and go for round two!

not to be discouraging, but one tremendous benefit of buying an existing product is that if you take a spill, you're not stuck having to machine out replacement parts on the fly (most have replacement pegs, levers, etc... available).

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
AZ,
If you're talking about machining them yourself, go for it.
If you don't have high mount cans, how about trying to narrow the width at the pegs. I want to do that, and lower the pegs a little (I'm 6'1" and my legs don't like folding up on the stockers).

If you are talking about drawing something up, and having a machine shop do a one-off set for you, that's a different story. You'll be hard pressed to find CycleCat quality even if you spend more money.

T

·
0 Posts
FWIW - I've day dreamed about fabbing up some rear sets/exhaust mounts (I've got low cans) from tubing. Triangulate it, like the frame. Seems like it might carry on the design theme. I'm 6'2" - I'd put the pegs back and in, but not higher for the same reasons mentioned above. Tom

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 6'2" as well and wouldn't want the pegs any higher, though further back would be nice. I could make triangulated tubes very easily, though I can't weld aluminum. I have high cans, so exhaust mounting isn't an issue.
Dion

·
Registered
216 Posts
FWIW - I've day dreamed about fabbing up some rear sets/exhaust mounts (I've got low cans) from tubing. Triangulate it, like the frame. Seems like it might carry on the design theme. I'm 6'2" - I'd put the pegs back and in, but not higher for the same reasons mentioned above. Tom
I thought I was alone with this dream. I am also considering trying this.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
This is sorta spooky, I was thinking tubing also......

Like tofdah said, tubing carries the same theme as the frame. I always thought the stock cast aluminum footpeg brackets looked a little goofy.

M

·
0 Posts
This is sorta spooky, I was thinking tubing also......

Like tofdah said, tubing carries the same theme as the frame. I always thought the stock cast aluminum footpeg brackets looked a little goofy.
dml'er c.little had a jig all set up for a pair of rearsets from tubing... he kept up the trellis theme with steel that weighed about the same as the cast stockers... but don't know if he ever finished the one of many projects he had going on for his m750 about a year ago.

definitely think a grinder and welding could do the trick. a sand/bead blast and powder coat would finish it nice. you might even convince strati to do it for you for a reasonable fee.

S

·
0 Posts
just to clarify, i'd be happy to do the POWDERCOATING, not the grinding/welding... wish i had time to offer more help ;)

M

·
0 Posts
what, you don't want to make me some rearsets? ;D ;D ;D ;D

strati might help out on the powdercoating that's what i ment but not what i typed... shesh, just trying to drum up some extra work for you hoping that i'll get to ride my s4 before you do. ;D

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, this project is sounding more doable all the time. Trellis-style tubing to match the frame. Yeah, baby, now we're talking. Time to start measuring ... once I get my junk put back together!
Dion

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am 6'4" and have the same issue. It's heresy but i will trying some footpegs and offset adaptors from Kuryakyn. Also i find that riding with feet on passenger pegs during highway rides helps a bunch.
however i will gladly pay for some tubing based rearsets

2002 s4

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've made rearsets out of steel tubing as well as aluminum plate. Neither one accomadates passengers. Holler if you'd like some pics. If someone wants to send me a drawing, or a cardboard cutout, I'll be happy to make up a set as close to n/c as I can get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts