Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to make some led blinkers and mount them into the license plate bracket of my bike, question is, i have heard you need a resistor to go in line with them so they will blink. ANYONE know anything about this? use technical terms if you can, i understand them :D

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
The addition of a resistor is not to allow them to blink. It is generally used as a current limiter. You need something to act as a load since LED's don't. That's a little simplified. Check out this guy's site.
http://sca40.com/led/

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
that's pretty cool. I have been thinking about doing the same thing, but integrating the brake/running/signals into the same plate. It would be pretty busy, but I think it would look cool, and clean up the back of the bike a little bit (just waiting for my friends to get a little farther along in their EE degree work). I'm retarded when it comes to this stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
mmmm, me likey spareshack ;D

****<THREAD JACK ALERT THREAD JACK ALERT>******

Hey Stuart, is my order on its way? I would love a little email tracking number, pretty please ;)

****<Resume Normal Thread Resume Normal Thread>****

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey Stuart, when are the models with the integrated turn signals going to be available? I am ready to order asap...

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
ya, that would be exactly what i'm looking for.

how about clear lens with a black back instead of the reflective back?

I gotta believe the reflector doesn't add that much brightness to the LED's

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The addition of a resistor is not to allow them to blink. It is generally used as a current limiter. You need something to act as a load since LED's don't. That's a little simplified. Check out this guy's site.
http://sca40.com/led/
Ahhh, two different problems here...

You'll need resistors in series with each led to limit the current through the led (about 600 ohms to give you 20 mA from 12V).

You'll _also_ need some more resistors in parallel with the new led/resistor combo, because the indicator blinker need a certain amount of current to work properly - the easiest way to do this is to actually run the incandescent globe as well as the leds (yes, I _have_ seen this done) because otherwise you'll need to find out how much more resistance than the regular 5W turnsignal globe you can get away with and still have your indicators blink (what'll usually happen with just plain leds if the indicators will blink really fast, 'cause thats what they set up the blinker to do when a globe blows - the electrical load of a bunch of leds and limiting resistors looks a lot like one blown globe to the magic box).

big

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Check out this thread, it was discussed:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tech;action=display;num=1077022676;start=

You should not put any resistors in series with the leds. That does not change current at all. Remember in a series ciruit, all components see the same current, just at different voltages.

You will need a resistor in parallel to draw MORE current than the LED does. The LED has a really high resistance, and does not draw enough current for the turn signal control to think the bulb is good.

mitt

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
For your turn signals don't you need a load equalizer. Because the LEDs use less power wouldn't that cause the signals to blink faster? Of course you could leave it for the rice boy effect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts