Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day all, I would like to offer an alternate solution to purchasing the expensive starter kit, this solution has cost me 45 dollars shipped and made custom for my application on my ducati monster 900 02.

I referenced: http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/accessories-mods/205034-diy-696-796-1100-battery-cable-battery-upgrade.html , but did not have a wire cutting/lug making tool nor did I want to purchase one. This site will make each wire to your spec for 1 dollar extra a wire and they offer free shipping.

Steps:

-Measure your battery cables and terminal sizes. For where the Battery meets the cable, I used the heavy dude copper tinned lugs. For where the starter wire meets the solenoid and starter, I used regular tinned lugs.

-For the measurement, they only accept feet of wire. So if you need 16 inches it would be about 1.4 feet. Be sure to call them after you order so they know that you did this and confirm with the sales rep. They were very helpful and understood.

-Go to: http://www.genuinedealz.com/custom-cables/custom-battery-cable-assembly and work up your order, I used 4 gauge wire.

-If you need a special post for a 90 degree angle like I wanted, I ordered a set with bolts for a polaris that will work for my application: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151883717425

Attached is my order. Notice how I used black cables and red heat shrink for the positive. For the solenoid to starter cable, I used red on the solenoid side and black on the starter side so that I would not have the red heat shrink showing at the starter connection.

Also, I believe the negative ground to the negative ground to engine for my bike was 5/16" so I got a 5/16" lug.

I hope this helps you all.

Disclaimer, this is just advice and if you burn your bike up or get hurt, I am not liable.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Good post! [thumbsup]

Over the years I have encouraged people to do the same, or to make their own using welding cable.

The end result is a far better fitting installation than the store bought one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I'm just excited to be moving forward with this starting issue on my Ducati.

Runs great once started..Just have to get it started haha.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Just ordered mine. For the Monster 1100 EVO, I used lengths of:

41" for the solenoid to starter
18" for Ground cable
10" for Positive battery to solenoid

I called them to clarify, and I told them all lengths were given eye to eye. Their website has a Custom Cables link that gives the conversion chart to inches, however.

I'll come back and update after I've installed them and have started the bike during cold weather, which is when it has the hardest time starting.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Is this a solution to the weak cranking starter motor?
I've noticed I'm starting to get the weak/slow crank even on a charged battery (battery under 2yrs old but no rsw error..yet) Hot or cold.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I removed the (factory) cables and cleaned the connectors and ground with emory cloth. Put it all back together without the fuel tank on and it seems to crank a little faster but not superfast as a few yrs ago. Then I noticed the O rings on the fuel lines that plug into the fuel pump were broken. So now I wait for new ones...I suspect I may need to do a starter motor swap later down the track.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did this too, though I found the heavy wall connectors to be pretty thick and hard to get on, they work. If I did it again I might go with the regular. But overall, saved me from swapping out my battery for a good 6 months before doing it again. I would before have to crank it 2 or 3 times to get the engine to turn over. Once I swapped the cables (and not the battery) my Monster cranked right up. Now with a new battery, (had to, it was time) seems even stronger.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Update: it's still hot weather, but the new cables seem to have made for a better, stronger crank. Usually, even in warm weather the bike would shut off during cranking and reset my clock and trip meter and an error message "0008 rsw" would come onscreen. I'd have to shut the key off and on again to reset it and turn the bike on, at which point it would crank on; this would happen at least twice a week even during warm weather. So far, it hasn't happened at all, and I rode the bike all week to work.

The real test will be in the winter when it's below 50F, but so far I'm very happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yesterday morning it was 59F and, when I tried starting the bike I got the 0008 rsw error message and the clock and trip reset themselves. This morning it was 63F and it gave me the error message twice before it cranked up.

The upgraded battery cables definitely give it a stronger crank, but it doesn't look like they resolve the cold start issue. Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Turn the key in and wait for the main headlight to go off before cranking it. it will give some extra voltage (0.2).

Otherwise go lithium and follow the same procedure. With the shorai battery and upgraded Hi-caps cable I never had a problem starting the bike warm or cold. And when I say cold, I mean 40F.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Turn the key in and wait for the main headlight to go off before cranking it. it will give some extra voltage (0.2).

Otherwise go lithium and follow the same procedure. With the shorai battery and upgraded Hi-caps cable I never had a problem starting the bike warm or cold. And when I say cold, I mean 40F.
I've already tried that. I've tried everything that's been recommended in every Ducati forum except putting the oil at a lower level in the site glass. That's next on the list, but I don't expect it to work since it looks like an electrical problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts