Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have a friend with one of those lifts and never secures his bike. A ticking time bomb I say.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
did any of you see the episode of american chopper where they dropped like 3 of their bikes off the stands? dropping a mountain bike, a little 50cc bike, or even falling off the stand yourself ain't no big deal. but to drop a big bike like that.... [smiley=waytogo.gif]

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have one of these lifts and always secure the bike. The shop I bought it from used it for years without securing the bikes, but...

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
That's Dave's (DYNODAVE) bike. He posted to NEHMA to cry over this when it happened.

'tis truly a sad sight.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
AWWW, man, :'( makes me want to cry!!!

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I have a friend with one of those lifts and never secures his bike. A ticking time bomb I say.
I've used a Handy lift for 10 years and only secure a bike when doing something "strange". Otherwise, front wheel is in vice or on swingarm stand or both. I've done some amazing things with bikes on lifts.

Seriously operator error.

Still sad to see, though...
Chris

·
Registered
524 Posts
::Sniff, wipes away tears::

I can't imagine how bad the person involved felt--oi.

On the American Chopper show, that happened to those bozos *twice* :p One of those $50k+ bikes fell off, then the next day, another one fell off. Haha, I laughed at that one as those guys are bozos (well, most of 'em).

--Laugher--

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I've used a Handy lift for 10 years and only secure a bike when doing something "strange". Otherwise, front wheel is in vice or on swingarm stand or both. I've done some amazing things with bikes on lifts.

Seriously operator error.

Still sad to see, though...
Chris
As you see, Dave had the front wheel vise on.

Operator error? Dave wasn't EVEN THERE! He came home from work to see what we see in the photo.

The only possible explanation is that the vise wasn't secured. Well, that or he has a hella big cat who went out to the garage and loosened the vise out of spite!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I have the same lift & only tie down when I'm removing a wheel or as Chris said:"doing something weird". I did have a friend decide to climb on his bike once when it was fully raised on the stand - I thought the whole thing, stand & all, was going to tip over!! I've never dropped one, but I do worry about it - after seeing that photo, I'll probably start having nightmares.
BTW: Do I get to fix that tank??

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Norm,

I told Dave to send it to you!

I had a local do a good job on mine, but it was just a little handle-bar dent. I wouldn't send Dave's tank to the guy!

I think Dave was going to contact you, but he's scrambling getting a bike ready for Daytona (he HAD planned to take the S4 :'()

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ouch!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts