Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '97 M900 with 3500 miles (can't wait to get out and ride :)) and was wondering if there is anything I should have checked out, like take it to the shop and have them look it over or anything like that. It's in great shape and seems to run perfect. 2nd question: How is this bike going to be to maintain and when should I take it in for scheduled maintenance and what should be done/ looked at/ etc. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Wow, thats a big question as far as future maintenance! First off a 97 with that low of miles has been siting quite a bit. Hopefully the previous owner ran it regularly, if not the carbs may be gummed up but you would notice that in the idle and warm up. Second, when I buy a bike the first thing I do is change the oil and filter. Then you have an idea of whats going on there. Then I check and maybe change the spark plugs. Third, your bike may still have the stock tires on it and even though they may look good they are pretty old so I would replace those. As for regular up keep check the FAQ link on the main page.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
are there service records? if not, i would change the timing belts and adjust the valves at the same time. cheap insurance.

other than that, follow DTMsurf's advice plus brake and clutch fluid change. if you are not familiar with MC mechanics, having a pro look at it is a good idea.

enjoy and ride safe ;D

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Also, change the tires. It's probably running the stock crappy 204's. They're not good to start with and now they're old and even harder.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Hey! - 204s are great tires, just not 7 year old ones.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Go buy a copy of the Haynes guide.
there is a list of all the scheduled maintinence at 600, 6000 and 12000 mile intervals (and explainations on how to do them)
:)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Get new timing belts before you rev the engine very high. The old ones had white lettering on them, but the newer ones have red. They're supposed to be changed every two years or 12,000 miles, although I went more like four years on mine.

Oil changes every 3000 miles (you can do that yourself easy enough), valve check/adjust every 6000, new timing belts every 12,000.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
In response to you my friend about 204s tires, when I installed clip ons on my monster, I almost lost it because of the new weight on my front tire. So if you don't ride hard, maybe you could keep your 204. But if you whant real gummy tires maybe you should go with 207.
It is just my opinion though.
So enjoy your new monster man!! ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts