Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is upon us and most of us have already taken the bikes out for a spin or two. Before we get too far into the season, I'd like to issue a friendly challenge. I want to see who puts the most miles on their bike in a season.

I'm more interested in having a friendly comparison than any sort of all-out competition, but just to make it interesting I think we should have some sort of reward for those among us with iron backsides. I propose that whoever wants to participate must throw something into the kitty, preferably something local that involves interaction with other NEMHA hooligans.

For instance: I will gladly buy dinner for two at the Sea Dog Brewery here in Topsham for whosoever racks up the most mileage. The stipulation here is that you have to come to my area to collect your winnings. And truth be told, since I'm picking up the tab, I'll probably be hanging out with you as well. So you see, its a win-win. Even if you lose, you'll still be hanging out with DMLers.

Now, to keep it all legit, we're gonna need proof. Simply take a picture of your odometer along with something showing the date (like a cell phone) and post it here. Do the same thing again by Labor Day and we'll hash out the winner.

Sound like fun? I think so.

To that end:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Why you quitting so early in the season?

The best riding is between Labor Day and just after Columbus Day. ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
no kiddin I didn't get off the bike until after the 1st week of december, but a good idea i've allready racked up about 200 ;D

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Desmo_Maine*iac said:
no kiddin I didn't get off the bike until after the 1st week of december, but a good idea i've allready racked up about 200 ;D
Only 200?

Your a sissy, I did 250 yesterday! [laugh]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I whole-heartedly agree that the best riding is after Labor Day, when the tourists go home. I racked up 1000 miles in October of last year.

The reason for the early cutoff is so that whoever wins still has some nice riding weather to run around and collect all their hard-earned booty. Kinda defeats the purpose to win a pint at so-and-so's favorite local pub if the weather makes you not want to bother going to collect.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I wouldn't ride to collect...

but that's just me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One doesn't have to ride to collect, and I'd whole-heartedly discourage it if drinking is intended. The statistic they kept mentioning in my MSF course was that something like 40% of motorcycle fatalities are alcohol related. Last thing we need on this board is another RIP thread. Alcohol and motorcycles mix like white phosphorous and oxygen. Bad things.

Honestly DP, and anyone else, if you've got suggestions that would make this better, I'm all ears. I'm pretty new to riding and this board, but I thought this would be fun. I picked labor day because its far enough away that you can put some serious mileage on, but its not the end of the actual riding season.

Besides, DP. You're from New Hampshire. I'm not even sure you're eligible. [cheeky]

Just kidding. Please don't ban me.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
...not only am I not eligible...

I wouldn't win anyway.

My street riding miles have dropped drastically since I started doing track days.

..and no one has ever been banned for a light hearted jab. ;)

I think you have a great idea. My comments were just meant to enhance the idea. Take 'em or leave 'em.

·
Registered
704 Posts
i am soooo gonna win this 8)
west to east = over 3100 miles before the middle of june
it'll be easy for you, cause i will be in brunswick.

oh, wait. you mean i have to put the miles on the bike. dammit

·
Registered
264 Posts
You're on. 1-2 hours of riding for me every day after work plus weekend trips...

I'll chip in breakfast at Becky's for the winner (me).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good! Now that we've got the ball rolling, you all have to remember that this is the DML.

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!

[cheeky]

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Shame on you all I am almost at 500 I have ridden every month this year accept for February. A combination of rain/snow/sand kept me off the road in February.

-ghost.

PS I am up for the challenge though do to the recent addition of my future monster addict I will be putting less miles on my ride this year.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I just put my bike up on its stand in the garage and fired her up.... how long do you think I'll need to run her daily for this $5 meal?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As long as you want to, but unless you're willing to throw something towards the winner it'll be as practical as running your Ferrari in reverse.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Thank God I finally saw that movie last weekend... else I wouldn't know what the hell yer talkin' about ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts