Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I made and offer on a bike I've been looking at for a while. You can read about the first time I went to look at it if you want .

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bi...orum1;action=display;num=1061301641;start=0#0

Anyway he was only asking $4,700 which is a fair price but I can't quite offord that much. I offered him $4,300 which was more than the $4,200 I intended to offer. Once I was on the phone I just couldn't get myself to offer the $4,200. I felt like such a cheap skate and somehow the extra $100 made it feel a little better. Anyway that's why I need help. The $4,300 is still pretty low and I'm not sure I expect him to accept it. I need to be ready to negotiate when when he calls back. I've got $4,500 to spend but I was hoping to have money left over to pay for the sales tax. It may not actually be "sales tax", I'm talking about the money you have to pay when you got the Secretary of State to get plates. By the way does anyone how what percent that is? Anyway is there any tips anyone has to help me get the bike for the rite price.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
You made a fair offer. Stick to it. He probably ask to split the difference. You offered more than you wanted intially so stick to your price.

Saw the photo from your last post. I too started with a Nighthawk 750; great bike. Went from that to a CB1000, now an S4. Do you think you'll miss that extra hp that in-line 4 produces? Some follks have a hard time going down in power.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure I realized that the monster had les horse power. I guess I figured that they would be pretty similar since they're both 750's. The nighthawk is a 91 so it's getting kind of old and I don't think it still has the horse power it once did.

O

·
0 Posts
that too me seems like a lot money for a 12 year old bike. i would keep looking. that's what i would do. 4500 dollars is too much for that bike! ;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the concern oneducs but I think you misread. My honda is a 1991 CB 750. The bike I'm purchasing for $4,500 or less, is a 2001 monster 750 with les than 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I think there was a misunderstanding above. The NightHawk is a 91. The Monster in question is an '01 M750 with 1750 miles on the clock.

I think you're probably in the right ball park on price. The couple hundred either way is "measurement error."

As for negotiating techniques; all I can offer is that you have to set YOUR price and stay with it. Trying to convince him that he should get less because of this or that isn't really productive negotiating. Tell him "that's all I can afford and I'll be sorry if you can't accept it."

As for tax, that would depend on your state and you haven't told us what that is.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
In that case, I can't help you ;D

p'haps we've got a mid-Westerner on the board who can.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I looked up Michigan sales tax on the web and found it was 6%. I know in Ohio, each county has different sales tax rates.

Call your local bike dealer and ask what the tax % is for the county you live in.

Good luck on your offer!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Every state I've ever lived in charges you sales tax when you register a used vehicle.

As for the offer, this sure sounds familiar. In November I was looking at the ST2 that I now own, which was listed at $4600. I wanted to offer $4000, but when it came down to making the actual offer, I felt sorry for the poor college student selling the bike and went up to $4200. He then countered and we settled on $4300, which is what I paid for it.

Now that I almost have everything fixed that was wrong with it (brake light still doesn't work yet), I wish I had offered $4000 and stuck with it. Oh well.

The only way you can really get the best price when negotiating is to be willing to walk away if you don't get the price you want. Then you only buy things that are good deals because you walk on all the ones that aren't. It's hard not to get emotional when buying a Ducati, though.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Whenever I buy used bikes, and that is often, I negotiate the price along with the amout that will be written down on the bill of sale or title. Just cause you pay $4300 for it does not mean the DMV needs to know that. I sold a sportster to a friend and as far as the DMV knows he paid $20 for it. They will charge you tax on whatever you put as the purchase price. Negotiate that with the seller, most sellers will play along. The state makes enough money off regular DMV fees Im not gonna pay full sales tax on a bike I buy privately.
You dont have to put a crazy low number but at least knock a few grand off.

A

·
0 Posts
Michael,

Grand Rapids must have some nice riding around the Lake! I'm originally from just down the road..St. Johns. I would love to have my Monster up there for some summer riding to escape the heat here in Phoenix!

Anyway, like someone else said about your offer. Stick with that and if possible, have the cash or check in hand. It's hard for a seller to refuse that.

I do that when I buy a car. I find a place FAR away so the salesman know I won't want to drive back there again. I go in at the end of the day (when I know it's been slow). I make a lowball offer and if they refuse I say " Here's my check from State Farm. I would really like to make a deal!" It usually works. The last time I was in and out in 30 minutes with my Montero. No hassles!

If he knows you're really serious, he should make the deal. DON'T be afraid to play the game though!

O

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the concern oneducs but I think you misread. My h*nda is a 1991 CB 750. The bike I'm purchasing for $4,500 or less, is a 2001 monster 750 with les than 2,000 miles.

iam glad about that!

·
Banned
551 Posts
Go with cash - If you say I can be on your front doorstep with $4200 in cash right now and we have a deal. Cash in hand makes a difference, harder to turn down unless he thinks he already has another buyer for more.

Stick to your guns - if you don't get this one - you will get another one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts