Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Cole:

********************************************************************************

We have secured VIR for the following dates:
Spring Event - April 9/10
Autumn Event - October 15/16
As usual, both days will be on the North course.

The cost has not yet be determined as VIR is considering yet another rate hike for rental of their facility. So, start saving your pennies until I know what or even if we will have to shell our more clams to rent the North course.

Several of you asked about the possibility of riding the Grand course configuration and we have been shot down by VIR. The Grand course utilizes portions of the North, South and Patriot courses and ties up the entire race track facility. VIR sets aside a few dates during the year for use of the Grand course by organizations that have utilized this configuration for many years. One of these organizations is Cornerspeed and the others are car groups. Aaron has invited the MAD group to attend his Grand course event if we want to experience this track layout. Please see his web site for additional information.

I have checked into the kart track at VIR for a third day of fun with your fellow MAD'sters/friends at VIR.

A 4 hour rental of the facility is $1500 and an 8 hour rental is $2500. Included with either rental price are 12 carts that will be at our disposal.

If we can get 24 individuals involved, we can have fun all day long (8 hours) for roughly $105 each. This event is open to all MAD'sters and their significant others as well as driving aged children. I have also invited Aaron and his instructors to come have fun on four wheels.

I have tentative reservations for the kart track on April 8th and 11th. I will leave the decision of choosing the date up to the majority of MAD'sters that plan to attend. I need to have your input by next weekend. Personally, I'd choose the 8th.
A few considerations before your choose: the 11th will require an additional day off from work and most of us are beat after two days of track riding. If you should get hurt on the 8th, there goes your following two days track time.

I would suggest an endurance type of event to maximize the on-track time for everyone. The first few hours can be spent getting familiar with the carts and track during practice sessions, followed by a qualifying session to obtain times for everyone. We will then be divided into teams consisting of a mix of fast, faster and blindingly fast drivers so that each team will be evenly balanced. The last few hours will be the actual endurance race with pits stops for driver changes and fuel stops.

I am open to suggestions on the format for the day should you not like the one described above.

Plantation Valley Kart Track is a state-of the-art 5/8-mile, 24-foot-wide paved karting circuit with technical aspects designed to challenge everyone. Requirements: closed faced helmet, long sleeve shirt, long pants, closed toed shoes and safety neck collar.

I look forward to seeing you all at this event!

Cole

If you needed an excuse to join MAD, this alone is worth the $20 for the dues.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Dragsterhund said:
From Cole:

********************************************************************************

We have secured VIR for the following dates:
Spring Event - April 9/10
Autumn Event - October 16/17
As usual, both days will be on the North course.
if you read one of the following Emails after that...it was pointed at a correction that the fall dates would be the 15/16 of October!

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Captain Intensity said:
Im just about ready.
Nice. Are you doing the work at the shop? (I see a crusier in the background there) I sure could use some help (i.e. expertise) safety wiring my ST4 before the spring event.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Blueshark928 said:
Nice. Are you doing the work at the shop? (I see a crusier in the background there) I sure could use some help (i.e. expertise) safety wiring my ST4 before the spring event.
Nope, thats just my garage. The cruiser is my dad's Vulcan 1600. Ive got charlies bike and all his safety wire stuff so whenever he gets his drilling jig in were going to be wiring all sorts of stuff. I dont know how much help I'll be since Ive never really done it, but youre more than welcome to come and learn with us.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
safety wiring is really easy. I have a spool of wire and the pliers. We can do your ST in an afternoon. Its up to Chris though, or I could come to your place if you have a drill press.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm in. Will also need help prepping the 748 and getting the bike to VIR.

Trackside suites anyone?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
dsullenb said:
I'm in. Will also need help prepping the 748 and getting the bike to VIR.

Trackside suites anyone?
the suites were nice indeed....but I think I am going to opt to stay at the Lodge for sleeping stuffs....

now the Garages there...that's a whole nother story!

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I am in for the suites for sure, as well as the garages again.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Suites and Garage for me, that was the way to go. I will also get on the phone when the time gets near and convince them to keep the resturant/bar open for us - Gene

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
XiaoNio said:
Can I kart and not ride? Go karts are great but I'm not sure I'm ready to hit the track with a bike just yet...
you can in fact cart and not ride....but...FWIW...Aaron Stevenson's instructors are out there to help people almost in the same capacity as his Cornerspeed school....I have seen him have people work with people going half the speed of the slow group before...so there is no shame in going slow if you aren't ready to go fast....but the track is a great place to get a better feel for what you and your bike can and can't do for sure!...this is a helluva deal and opportunity for any beginner to be able to take advantage of...so it is worth seriously thinking about!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts