Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in SF currently and am moving back to western MA, and recently learned that bikes must be inspected there. I've had a bike out here for 10 years but never in MA. I've got an '01 M900S, Remus high pipes, fender eliminator, open clutch...
Since I've never had to deal with this before - are they strict in MA? Should I put the stock pipes back on when I register the bike?

Also, can anyone recommend a good Ducati shop

thanks!

·
Banned
402 Posts
Welcome back east!

I get my bikes inspected at a small Harley shop in Jamaica Plain. Never had a problem with Strati half-mod pipes, but by Harley standards they're just a whisper. My '85 interceptor has been dinged a couple of times but it deserved it.

I'd give it a shot with the aftermarket pipes first, and if you get hassled then you can try again with the stock ones.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Makes me feel a little more at ease. I guess there is really nothing to worry about - it's just that I've never had to have any bike inspected before. You can hear me coming from a few blocks away - but there's less people in MA, so less people to hear me, right?

I'm hoping for a shop closer to the western Mass, Northampton area but I checked listings for dealers and I think I should be fine.

Looking forward to coming back! One thing I'll miss is the year round riding :(
Are there many Monster riders out there? or - female riders?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about. My pipes are pretty loud and I have had no problems at all. My local dealer is cool like that. ;D

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Only certain MA inspection stations are authorized to do motorcycle inspections but the state has made a good effort to ensure that there are inspection stations in all geo graphical regions. I found that it was much easier to get through an inspection with a modified bike by going to a local car service station that happened to have a motorcycle authorization than to a dealer or motorcycle repair shop that really knew that your pipes were not only loud but not DOT approved for on-road use.

All they do at a motorcycle inspection is check all your lights, high and low beams, turn signals, brake lights operated by both the hand and foot switches, horn, tire tread, and compare the VIN to your registration.

I never had a gas station type inspection station ask me to rev the engine or look at the mufflers to see it they were DOT legal. Use common sense, don't rev the thing to red line in his garage before shutting it off and you'll probably be fine.

Motorcycles don't get an emissions inspection in MA so don't worry about that.

Tommy T.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
janiejane said:
Looking forward to coming back! One thing I'll miss is the year round riding :(
Are there many Monster riders out there? or - female riders?
Hit up RevvMonster if your looking for someone to ride with. He lives in that neck of the woods. We also try to put together a few group rides that you are more than welcome on. But you are from SF so if you wear black leather pants with your ass cheeks hanging out, then you can just stay home. [laugh]

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Monstermash said:
... if you wear black leather pants with your ass cheeks hanging out, then you can just stay home.
Or, you can come visit me in Deep East Texas and enjoy some real hospitality.

Oh, have you been warned that the Northeasterners can be pretty unpleasant?

Tommy T.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no black chaps here - definitely not. But nothing against people that wear them. Dainese leathers for me!
I guess inspections aren't a big deal and going to a gas station sounds like a good plan. No other major modications on my bike (yet), so I shouldn't have a problem.
Thanks for your posts! Hope to meet some of you northeasteners in the spring. I've got to learn the roads out there...

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The usual gas stations can't do bike inspections in Mass. Bike inspection stations are generally bike shops.

There is no sound check in the Mass bike inspection. It is purely a safety inspection; forks, shocks, lights, horn, brakes and head bearing integrity. don't sweat the pipes (yet; all this could change one day).

Bring it on! Hope to meet you next season. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
CRASH! said:
The usual gas stations can't do bike inspections in Mass. Bike inspection stations are generally bike shops.
Actually, within 10 miles of the MotoCafe where all the Ducatisti hang out in Acton, MA, are 4 gas stations that do bike inspections. The one I most often used is an Esso station on Rte 111 (400 something Massachusetts Ave) just north of its intersection with Rte 27. I also used Miller's general store and auto lube shop on Harvard Street near the Littleton train stop, just west of 495.

There is no sound check in the Mass bike inspection. It is purely a safety inspection; forks, shocks, lights, horn, brakes and head bearing integrity. don't sweat the pipes (yet; all this could change one day).
This is a quote from Ch. 504 Code of Massachusetts Regulations Sec. 4.06 "Inspection of Motorcycles," paragraph 4(a):

"(a) The motorcycle shall be equipped with a muffler to prevent excessive and unnecessary noise which is in good working order and in constant operation. Accelerate motor to half throttle position to test for unnecessary noise and emission of any unreasonable amount of smoke. Reject a motorcycle which has a muffler cut-out or by-pass of the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced. Unnecessary noise is herein defined as any noise which is louder than that emitted by the motorcycle with original manufacturer's muffler and exhaust system equipment."

As has been said already, most non-motorcycle shops that inspect don't do this at all. But if you take a non-complying pipe to a motorcycle shop that would like to sell you a new complying pipe, you're taking your chances. Once rejected, you're in the state wide computer and every other station that see your bike will be informed that you have been rejected for a non-compliant muffler. Everybody I know that was ever hassled over a motorcycle inspection had it happen at a bike shop not a gas station that does motorcycle inspections.

Make your own decision but do it on the basis of real laws and real facts.

Tommy T.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Monstermash said:
But you are from SF so if you wear black leather pants with your ass cheeks hanging out, then you can just stay home. [laugh]
Mash...she's a she. ::)
We ENCOURAGE the wearing of assless garb, by the fairer sex, though if you do Mash will probably propose...actually he'll probably propose anyway. >:D

My shop has no problems with passing through bikes with loud pipes. My suggestion is hit up a Harley shop till you find a Duc shop that youre gonna do buisness with, once youre a customer, most shops tend to take care of thier regulars.
Youre pretty damn far out there, but there are some nice roads, sooo I'm sure a ride or two could be organized out in that neck of the woods.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We ENCOURAGE the wearing of assless garb, by the fairer sex, though if you do Mash will probably propose...actually he'll probably propose anyway. >:D

I didn't know that was all I had to do to get a guy. Just kidding - I've got a great guy.
thanks for all the tips! I'll look for a Harley shop if I can't find an old gas station. I'm hoping being a woman helps too :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey JanieJane,

Welcome to Western Mass. Mash told you contact me. I live a little futher west than you in the Berkshires, Pittsfield. Ducati's in this area are scarce but there are some. I believe there are more in the North Hampton area. There is Ducati dealer there but he doesn't seem to be serious about the product except to sell them. They have several other Jap brands, and there parts&mods stock is very slim. I go to BCM in Laconia but it's 3-4 hours away. There are several other dealers around Ma and Ct.

Riding in this part of the country is great!! I also have a mechanic in Becket, MA. He's an old time mechanic who has been around bikes all his life who also races old duc's and side hacks. Both he and wife ride Ducatis, ST2 and a 900 chromo. His name is Pete and he owns Mohawk Garage. He's in the book.

Have fun and enjoy the area and don't worry much about the insp. I go to the local Harley dealer; my pipes are pretty loud w/open clutch with no problems.

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Revv said:
Hey JanieJane,

Welcome to Western Mass. Mash told you contact me. I live a little futher west than you in the Berkshires, Pittsfield. Ducati's in this area are scarce but there are some. I believe there are more in the North Hampton area. There is Ducati dealer there but he doesn't seem to be serious about the product except to sell them. They have several other Jap brands, and there parts&mods stock is very slim. I go to BCM in Laconia but it's 3-4 hours away. There are several other dealers around Ma and Ct.

Riding in this part of the country is great!! I also have a mechanic in Becket, MA. He's an old time mechanic who has been around bikes all his life who also races old duc's and side hacks. Both he and wife ride Ducatis, ST2 and a 900 chromo. His name is Pete and he owns Mohawk Garage. He's in the book.

Have fun and enjoy the area and don't worry much about the insp. I go to the local Harley dealer; my pipes are pretty loud w/open clutch with no problems.

Steve

hi Steve!
thanks for the tips. I was hoping the place in Northampton would be good to go to for servicing, but maybe I'll check out Mohawk Garage. Where is Becket? It's been a while since I've lived in MA. I went to UMass and lived in Northampton before moving out to SF. A lot has changed in 13 years!
I've got Remus pipes too so if your's is registered, guess I shouldn't really have a problem. I just got CC rearsets - any problems installing them? Doesn't look too difficult but concerned about the brake bleed. I'll wait until I get out there to put them on because I'll be shipping the bike. That's another tipic - anyone have any good recommendations for bike shipping? I want to make sure it gets there without a scratch.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome back, the fall makes up for the lack of year round riding, especialy out in western Mass. Rt 2 was ranked as one of the top ten roads to ride in the US for scenery and curves!!! I'm in central Mass. but make the ride out to western Mass. every fall. PS, I use a Harley dealer to inspect my bikes, as they have a "F" the man attitude and support freedoms like making noise!! [laugh]

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Mikesduc said:
Welcome back, the fall makes up for the lack of year round riding, especialy out in western Mass. Rt 2 was ranked as one of the top ten roads to ride in the US for scenery and curves!!!
Don't miss Rte 112 from Shelburne Falls down to Rte 9 either. Smaller than Rte 2; nice rolling hills and farm land scenery and NO TRAFFIC. It's my favorite in Massachusetts.

Tommy T.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts