Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am changing the belts on my 2000 M900S, and goofed up--I forgot to line up the crank pulley mark with the timing mark before removing the belts. I know I need to turn the engine using the rear wheel to get it to line up, but is there anything I need to do to keep from damaging the valves in the process? (I assume the valves are closed when the cam pulleys are "at rest" and not fighting spring tension.) If it matters, the mark on the crank pulley is about at the 4:00 position, and it needs to be at the 8:00 position. Thanks! (I knew I should not have started the project with my kids running around the garage...)

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I came up with a good and simple solution--I will rotate the top cam pulley the same number of teeth from the alignment dot as the crank pulley is off, which should make them exactly correspond when both line up with the dots. Obviously, I will hand rotate the pulleys to make sure the dots line up before I do anything like try to start the engine, but this makes sense, right?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I'm confused. Turn the crank till it lines up (keep in mind it's a 4 stroke) and then rotate each cam pulley and slip the belt on.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No worries--all done. I just turned the crank slowly and carefully to get it to the right spot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts