Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I had the chance to ride a 97 900SS/SP. The first thing I noticed was how much more power this thing had than my 900 monster. So why is this? What is different on the monster 900's from the 900SS motors?
The 900SS pulled all the way to the redline and past, all the way to above 120 and got there really quick. My monster has trouble achieving 120 w/o a tuck and I have no idea on the revs.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The only difference in top speed is that one bike has a fairing and the other does not.
Because of the different frame designs, your monster should win the handling battle in the twisties. Both bikes weigh about the same, check the sprockets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well that makes sense. Mine's a 96. So it has shitty heads(probably small valves to?). I would assume I could switch to a non-96-99 head if I wanted?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
yes, 'good' heads are stamped V2, small ones W

might also keep an eye out for a whole SS or M900 motor (although those seem to be getting rare)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did a bit of looking into this and it seems a good set of heads and the 41mm FCR carbs would really wake this thing up.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
OBVIOUSLY I was comparing apples to apples on the heads. New heads and FCRs would be great - wait 'til you see the prices.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I would consider 750 heads on my 900 vs the correct heads on the 900SS to be a big thing.

I really hate it when manufacturers do this to.

And yeah I saw prices. It'd be more cost effective to just go buy a S4 series monster.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 1999 Monster (Originally 600) and i fitted a 900SS engine (1994-Big valve edition-with hicomp pistons) and what a beast, i kept the same size rear sprocket, for the SS, and this has reduced the acceleration and has increased the top end!

Different sprockets do make a big difference!

Yorkie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts