Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so this chick I know gets a 600 monster off this guy I know. She's a brand new rider, so I get to be Bike Master untill she picks the biking ting up. In that role I get access to riding her Monster. I like it. A lot. I might like a Ducati myself. Humm, 600, nah, 750? Less power and more weight than an SV650. I had one of those. I liked it. I might get another one. Oh, there's a 748 for sale for $6k? I like that a lot. I had a GSXR750. Ouch. Heli bars were nice. Look, the make Heli bars for the 748. Ohhhh lok at that!! Monsters with 4-valve engines.... $11k, holy crap, that's a M620 and a 748 or 4 SV650s!

So, what it comes down to is this. I can get a 2k+ Monster 900 for like $6k or I can get a 2k- 478 for the same dough. Clearly you guys are biased, but what do you recomend and why. I like the looks of both but the 748 moves me to the point that I almost have to have it just because and even though I know that it's wrong. I think that I'll be happier actually owning the monster though. More comfortable, even with Heli bars and... what are the other benifits?

Thanks guys.

ken

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Depends on what style of riding you do...street, track, etc ...
Both bikes look reeeal cool IMO.
748's a track bike, high revving engine, 8v complexity (...and possible rocker problems) vs. Monster - 4v simplicity "?!" (apart from the S4's), more conservatively stressed, more comfort, but lesser performance.
Me, I'd love both ...currently looking for a 748S ;)...
....Simon

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
......the SBK is really different from a monster, and the 748 is a different lump from a lot of other Duc's. Especially the older 9** SBK's.
I had both a 900 and a 748 and never rode the monster when I did, but maybe that's just me. You only got one butt. Hard to quantify the comfort, I'm actually one of those guys who was more comfortable on a 748, and leading with my head. Hardly a fast bike nor is the monster, especially compared to a GSXR750, but there is that torque thing and there is something about that revvy engine and the valves clacking through the tank up into your head which is quite memorable and enjoyable. Very different exhaust note....I would never talk someone out of buying a 748, despite some of the 748's pitfalls.....it is one great handling bike, but so is the ol monster. I guess if you want to lead with your head and get the knee down, the SBK's would be perhaps more appropriate. It will always be easier if going for a 2V monster to maintain and it will cost less to do so. 6k sounds about right for a 748, note around 6000 miles the rockers usually start flaking, a few other little 748 things, nothing that can't be fixed....relays, etc. pretty well documented stuff....but it does cost somethng to fix those things...and then there is something about the monsters also which are somewhat undefinable and addicting.....good luck, nice dilemma, it's a head scratcher. I'm going to sell my monster to get an SBK, cuz I can't get the SBK out of my system. It may be for you a matter of where and how you ride to decide.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
get both :)

seriously, though, i'd get whichever makes you want to get out and ride more. it depends on the type of riding you do.

the monster is a fun all around bike - the superbikes are a bit more focused.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
You have to ride the 748 realy hard and its comfy, otherwise, ouch.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm SILL undesided though! To make matters even worse there is a '95 900ss in the mix for $3k. Now THAT is the right price. Is the perfomance comprable to a 5 year newer Monster of the same size? Basically the same engine and running gear right?

thanks again,

ken

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I love Monsters, and they're great everyday bikes. However, the 748's make me drool. I'll venture to say that they're even more beautiful than French chicks in miniskirts ;D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm SILL undesided though! To make matters even worse there is a '95 900ss in the mix for $3k. Now THAT is the right price. Is the perfomance comprable to a 5 year newer Monster of the same size? Basically the same engine and running gear right?

thanks again,

ken
There is some good info here on 900's.

http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/900equal.html

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
street ride more = Monster
track ride more = 748

easy...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts