Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've got a 2000 M900Sie, I bought it this past summer with 25,000 miles and it now has 30,000. I live near Pismo Beach, Ca where the weather is in the 70's year round. I use it as my daily driver.

Before buying it, the guy that sold it to me had it tuned, new battery, and new tires. The problems I'm having didn't arise until at least 1,000 miles after buying it.

The problems I'm having are:

*Tach doesn't work, spedo and lights do.

*Doesn't always start. Sometimes will start as normal, sometimes will turn over once or twice, and sometimes just clicks. This happens whether or not it is cold or been ridden long or short distance. (like i go to put gas in, then spend 5 minutes trying to get 'er going again) ...When I bought it, it had no such problem, although i am able to start it with the cluch out, and it not in neutral. (I almost dropped it once thinking it was in neutral, starting it, and it jumped forward. {yeah.. oops}) Is that normal?

*It has a very inconsistant idle. It usually idles around 3-4K RPM, or so low that it dies, or does both. Sometimes, at high idle, if I hold the brake, and let the clutch out slowly until it reaches a normal RPM, then pull the clutch back in, it'll stay at that idle. Choke has no affect.

*It also runs very poorly at low RPM (under 5K) It cuts out, sputters, and misses horridly. Makes it almost impossible to navigate through a parking lot without riding the clutch the entire time.

*I often engine-brake, and it has started popping much louder and more often than before, especially if i'm playing around and letting it rev down from over 6K RPM. (usually to announce my arrival, as I have loud pipes..muah)

*The tail light stays on, in the bright mode used for braking. Are there switches for foot and hand brakes, or just foot?

Since I live on the coast, and that most of these problems seem to be electrical, I'm thinking the salty air is corroding things. I have a general knowledge of how things work on a car (built and installed a 390 for my dad's '65 Ford 4 years ago in high school) but never worked on a motorcycle. I am not one to do cheap fixes that just cause more problems later, but I am a starving college student, and every penny counts.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
There are separate switches for the front & rear brakes.

It idles at 3 to 4K? That's 3,000 rpm to 4,000 rpm and no engine should be idling at that speed. Sounds like some sort of cable hang up or sticking throttle plate.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
The idle hanging could be a carb synch issue

I would find some one to service the poor thing. Sounds like it could use a going over. Don't forget the belts.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
ducpainter said:
The idle hanging could be a carb synch issue

I would find some one to service the poor thing. Sounds like it could use a going over. Don't forget the belts.
The guy says he's got a 900Sie. Injected, no? If it's still running carbs, then sorry, my bad.

But yeah, sounds like he ought to spend a bit of cash to get it sorted. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Could he proof the things been done w shop reciepts?

Nevermind, to be sure, I would check battery & ground, fuel sync, valves o rubber bands
to have a good and safe starting point for solving issues & tuning on a second hand bike.
Also check wiring & fuel distribution. Check torque on essentials like wheels, suspension etc.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Mac900 said:
The guy says he's got a 900Sie. Injected, no? If it's still running carbs, then sorry, my bad.

But yeah, sounds like he ought to spend a bit of cash to get it sorted. [thumbsup]
OK a TB synch issue. ;D

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Load test battery and check charging system.
While there, clean battery connections.
Check all starting and charging system connections for voltage drop including grounds
Check the TPS adjustment and synch throttle bodies. Also check throttle cables.
Disconnect each stop light switch to see which is the problem. Also make sure bulb is not in backwards.
Worry about tach last, you really don't need it.

Oh :p forgot. Congrats and welcome to the board ;D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've got a similar problem where my '95 m900 doesn't always like to start. It acts like the battery isn't at full charge and sometimes won't turn over. Other times it'll turn over forever and just not start. I've replaced my starter motor and that seemed to help for a while but doesn't seem like it anymore. I kind of get around it by throwing the battery on a tender the night before I wanna ride which is generally every night. I know it's bad for the battery but I haven't had time to do a thorough run down of the bike and there aren't any nearby shops. I'm also in San Luis Obispo for school right now (same place as Kdude) so the closest shop is some 100 miles away.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
howie said:
Load test battery and check charging system.
While there, clean battery connections.
Check all starting and charging system connections for voltage drop including grounds
Check the TPS adjustment and synch throttle bodies. Also check throttle cables.
Disconnect each stop light switch to see which is the problem. Also make sure bulb is not in backwards.
Worry about tach last, you really don't need it.

Oh :p forgot. Congrats and welcome to the board ;D
yeah, after 5000 inconsistent miles, it just sounds like the bike needs a tune up and the battery needs to be charged. follow the things that howie's got for you here and all that stuff should clear up pretty easily.

bulb backwards is a common mistake and again, the tach isn't really known to be the most durable thing in the world...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.