Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do M900 clutches over heat, slip then coll off and function fine??

I have less than 700 miles a Barnett clutch on my 01 M900 with 5000miles. I replaced the clutch thinking it was bad when it was really the slave master. The slave has been replaced with an Evo unit.

This weekend I was slowly cruising down 23rd Ave in NW Portland and back - heavy congestion, stop/go and revving engine to get the girls to turn around. Then my clutch started to slip - felt like I was in neutral! I let the bike sit for 30mins and it work like normal. Has this happened to anyone else??
What install errors or malfunctions may have cuased this ??

Thanks,
Michael

K

·
0 Posts
hello mr,

iv encountered that kind of problem on my my 97`monster600
but the bigger problem is that my bike has much more worst case with regards to the clutch.. ducati philippines have been
disecting my bike for almost 21 days and up till now they still
have no answers on what,where,how? the problem ever occured. this is the first time theyve encountered that kind of clutch malfunction. imagine from a cold start bike performs well but after 30 mns the clutch starts to slide. pls keep me posted at: ([email protected] / [email protected]) i would gladly appreciate to receive replies from your infos w/ regards to our clutch problem.

help needed,
kerli

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
If this were a car, id say check the clutch fluid level. One time I had the fluid way past the full mark. When the underhood heat got to soaking into the fluid, it expanded and since it couldn't push up into the reservoir it pushed on the clutch fork and made it slip. How old is your fluid? Could there be any air in there? Fluid low? Start checking the easy stuff first.

Kevin

·
Registered
796 Posts
Good tip monsterlover, it is not normal for your clutch to slip that easily.

M

·
0 Posts
possibly the clutch rod is hanging up....or the slave cylinder piston isn't fully traveling once the lever is released?

On another note my Duc Parts guy steered me away from Barnett plates when I was shopping for replacements. He said his shop had "customer-sat" issues with a good few Duc riders they sold them to so they don't stock them for Ducati's anymore.

He said he would order them for me but I was on my own as far as doing an install and if I was unhappy with the end-result.

Not that I needed a lot of convincing but I went to the SurFlex Plates and installed myself....good choice

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't have the Barnett clutch, so I'm just passing along what I've read, but I recall some reference to the fact that Barnett plates fit into the basket much more tightly than stock (nice in that they don't slop around so much), so sometimes you need to file the edges to make them work smoothly.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts